Thoughts about MRE

unti1x

1. MRE is a pack of several dishes, drinks and accessories; it's not a single thing like chocolate bar. For example, russian military field rations may contain tea, instant coffee, energy drinks, vitamins, water-purification tablets, porridges, pork or beef stew, chocolate bars, water-proof matches, solid fuel tablets and so on (actually it's a ration for full day, like 3 MREs).

2. MRE from game... It looks produced in US, but then it should also contain FRH (flameless ration heater) that probably can help heat meal up (one time). I have not seen this thing in canadian ones (and they also look different).

Thanks for the feedback. It's possible you're finding just an individual component from an MRE (Or, I guess in Canada, an IMP), hence the bag. Of course, I can't say this with certainty, but the Canadian MREs do have items bagged somewhat similarly, so it's a good guess.

The FRH is a good note.

The Canadian Army use to use C-Rations exclusively. They hated MREs. C-Rations are still in production and stashed all over from Army/Navy stores, police departments, wildlife management caches and preppers galore. I have 4 "large" tins of C-Rations at home (a bacon, a sausage and two eggs). You just need a P-38 to open them. I still have a P-38 attached to my dog tags :P They make packs for individual use and larger mess use (my four tins are large mess size).

The larger mess tins contains tens of thousands of calories of food. The individual ones are about 3,000 cal, which is the same as a standard MRE. MERC rations are more on the go than MREs and have far less calories (about 1000 cal).

Back to the OP, MREs can be broken down: main course, supplement, dessert, condiments and heater. Yes, a heater! Pour in water and it will cook your MRE. We saved our heaters by cooking our MREs on the engine of the hummer. You could use the heater to warm yourself (though don't breath the gas) or make a weak explosive. They also make good timers/pressure switches due to a predictable gas expansion.

Archived