Double wolf attack bugged

exeexe

Double wolf attack is bugged. Just watched a guy on stream who got attacked by 2 wolves and it was on stalker mode and the risc of infection was 25%. Still after 2 wolf attacks it was not higher than 25%.

Yeah he didnt heal between the 2 attacks

The risk for wound infections increases over time (e.g. it could be 40% 5 hours after the attack and 95% 12 hours after the attack). It can more or less be used as some kind of indication when excatly the wound is going to be infected if you don't use antiseptic.

(sidenote: It's no linear curve, however. The risk remains at 95% for several hours before either A) the wound actually gets infected and you need to take antibiotics or B) the wound heals without further treatment. The latter happened to me only once, though - which makes sense as there's only a 5% chance for that.)

Not sure why you think those numbers should be influenced by the number of wolves that attack you. Do you mean that the second attack happened several hours later and resettet the "timer" of the first wound? That would be strange indeed...

When i say double attack i mean that you get attacked by a wolf then only 0-1 seconds later you get attacked by another wolf.

So the first wolf initially gives you 25% risc of infection (right?)

Then u get attacked by another wolf which gives you x amount of risc of infection

Then when its over you observe that the output of a wolf double attack is 25% risc of infection.

This means x was equal to 0% risc of infection. This is obvious a flaw.

25% is the standart infection risk immediately (0 hours) after a wolf attack. If both wolves attack at the same time and you check your infection risk immediately afterwards, everything's fine with these 25% as far as I understand the current mechanics (about the so-called "risk" being merely a timer).

I guess it would probably be better to replace the current term "infection risk" with some kind of timer or status description, though. The term risk is quite misleading in my opinion as it implies that a treatment with antiseptic can fail. (This never happened to me, I very much doubt it's possible).

25% is the standart infection risk immediately (0 hours) after a wolf attack. If both wolves attack at the same time and you check your infection risk immediately afterwards, everything's fine with these 25% as far as I understand the current mechanics (about the so-called "risk" being merely a timer).

Can you explain why?

Linear example:

I mean it doesnt have to be linear so like first bite gives 25% and 2nd bite gives 25% so the total would be 50%.

A non-linear example:

It could be like first bite gives 25%, then 2nd bite gives 50% of 25% so (0,5*25)12,5%, thus total would be (25+12,5)37,5%.

3rd bite would total give (37,5+0,5*37,5)56,25%

1 bite: 25%

2 bite: 37,5%

3 bite: 56,25%

If i = number of bites, the general equation would look like this

25*(1+0,5)^(i-1)

So its very easy to calculate and program

What the game currently calls "risk" is no real risk, no actual probability for the infection to happen. As I said: the current term is misleading.

If you use antiseptic you'll always be fine. If not, you'll have a 95% probability to get an infection after a given amount of time (16 hours or something). The so-called "risk of infection" as we can find it in TLD currently is merely a timer, nothing else. Like a countdown or a bar filling up. It's not a probability like it is in real life.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to add or multiply probabilities in this context. Imagine instead of "25% infection probability" the game would tell you "wound infection may occur in 16 hours". It doesn't matter much whether you have one or two wounds, the infection just needs 16 hours to develop.

Ah well i thought the game would check to see if you would get a disease continuously or close to continuously after an infection had occured. Like every 3rd hour or so. Well if the game doesnt do that then i think it should be changed so the game checks to see if the infection would develop into a disease not only when the time is up but also many times during the incubation period.

When i say double attack i mean that you get attacked by a wolf then only 0-1 seconds later you get attacked by another wolf.

So the first wolf initially gives you 25% risc of infection (right?)

Then u get attacked by another wolf which gives you x amount of risc of infection

Then when its over you observe that the output of a wolf double attack is 25% risc of infection.

This means x was equal to 0% risc of infection. This is obvious a flaw.

Not necessarily... you8 seem to be counting every wolf as an additional risk of infection (compounded) which wouldn't make sense doubling or adding full risk value per wolf in this scenario. That would be like counting an infection risk for each bite you get.

While infection risk would normally climb higher the more damage/bites you got in the fight, for gameplay purposes the devs balanced it to give the players a chance. At one earlier version double wolf attacks pretty much meant death. They eased up some of the effects so that players could have a fair chance by avoiding the situation (when possible) and taking care of the wounds.

Infections, if untreated, start climbing up in risk value if left unattended (medicinal remedies were very scare in earlier versions).

I can see perhaps adding another 5% risk from the immediate attack by the 2nd wolf, but given that in your scenario the attacks are one after the other (almost like one long fight), I don't see why it should automatically double the infection immediately.

If you have an open wound from the first wolf, dress it to remove the infection risk, and then get attacked again -- then yes, I can see the 25% chance (or whatever the actual percentage is) happening. The infection isn't based on each wolf giving you an exact amount of infection, but rather that the infection is due to an open wound.

IRL infection risk would probably be higher the more bites you had, but for gameplay balance, I think the devs are simply giving the players at least a fighting chance as a balance (which is also why the remedies heal instantly in games, rather that making the players attend the wounds for weeks or months).

A fighting chance?

Well i have never tried getting an infection because every time i get attacked i always seems to have antiseptic on me or some improved bandage. And if you have this in your inventory u go from 99% risc of infection to 0% risc, even if your condition is at 1% lol.

I think it is too much unbalanced right now in favor of the player. AKA too easy.

Also maybe i should try getting an infection and see what it does.

Ok so i did the experiment to try and get infected by a wolf in stalker mode to see what happens.

The 4 screens documents the crucial events:

Screens

centerhttp://i60.tinypic.com/fmi9ev.jpg

Screen 1 topleft is a little bit after i got infected. I actually got biten by 2 wolves got down to ~20% condition but was able to find shelter and healed. The risk of infection was 25% after the two wolves attack. My condition was here, after i had healed up, 73%

Screen 2 topright is when i was at 89% risk of infection. My condition was here 66%

Screen 3 buttom left is when i got infected. My condition was here 65%

Screen 4 buttomright is when i treated the infection and the experiment was over. My condition was here 6%

From using the amount of time i have survived i can see how much time is between the events

From this i can make an infection profile:

qqwxo6.png

It shows That from getting wounded till you are dead it takes approximately 30 hours. A bit more maybe 40 hours if u heal up to 100%. During the incubation period you can get rid of the contagious elements easily using antiseptic or old mans beard bandage.

During the infection period you can heal yourself with a cup of mushroom tea or antibiotics + 8 hours of rest.

So in conclusion you have 30-40 hours to deal with it which is plenty of time. Getting an infection doesnt kill you. Getting the infection only signals that it is here your trouble begins. Therefore making it easier to get infected from a bite does not leave the player in a position where he is chanceless against the elements. There are plenty of room for maneuver after you have been infected. And also your treatment does not rely on you being able to find leftovers, you can even produce your own treatment from what nature provides. So the player will indeed find himself to have a fighting chance if it is only the chance of infection that is increased.

Archived