So I woke up in the middle of a blizzard

TarjaS

Not the best start, so I thought this is going to be short. Started walking. Just picked a direction and tried to keep it straight. Got colder and colder. By the time the Cold bar was fully red, I was sure it was the end. Then, all of sudden, I found the trapper's cabin. Ran inside, started a fire and didn't die after all. That was a huge relief. The blizzard kept going on and there wasn't much more to do than eat, drink and sleep after examining the contents of the cabin.

The storm died down by noon the following day, so I went exploring. Found a deer carcass and got some venison. After cooking and eating, went exploring outside, ventured a bit too far and got caught in another blizzard. Great. Only got back by following my footsteps, which remained visible a lot longer than they would have for real. When they disappeared, I just kept going in the same direction, got seriously scared by a deer than ran close enough to almost run me over, and finally found the cabin again.

More eating, drinking and sleeping. Ran out of tinder, so couldn't melt snow and had nothing left to drink, so dehydration started to kick in as day 3 started. The blizzard was over, but it was still much too windy. Two choices: die of dehydration in the cabin or try your luck outside. Chose the latter and got killed by a wolf. The end.

Guest Alan Lawrance

Thanks for this little vignette! One thing that has been discussed in other threads it how to "wait out a blizzard" without getting bored. Getting impatient and venturing out into a blizzard is great way to die in The Long Dark, so we need some ways for players to spend their time indoors (sleeping can only go so far). Note that this "spending" of time would be accelerated, not realtime.

Archived