What do you do for kicks?

AmericanSteel

My longest run was right around 50 days in Voyager and I reset to try the newest unity build. That said, it was pretty boring. Guess that was my cue for Stalker :P Once I get all my gear and I am set, then I start taking risks in the game. It is the risks that make the game fun. The build up is great but there is not "maintaining" built into the game yet. I don't hibernate, so pressing into the cold unknown is what I do for kicks. That said, I don't do this all the time (about every other run)... so I go between extreme between how far I can make it to how far I can make it playing for kicks.

1. Having a wolf charge me and I don't have a weapon out. This forces me to pull up my inventory, select my rifle, draw and fire before the wolf pounces. Put the adrenalin meter on high for about 30 minutes. Stoked!

2. Having a wolf charge and I decide to Tarzan them. This forces me to pull up my inventory, unselect ALL my clothing and then charge into melee. I then clean up and get dressed. This keeps my clothing in good shape and drops my health down to between 70% and 50%. I am now back into survival mode. I need to either get home or find a place to shelter in so I can heal up. The game just got fun again.

3. Seeing how far I can kite a wolf. Right now I have pulled one from the bridge nearest the corner town in PV to the farmstead. I then shot it for good measure since the food was right next to my screen door.

Is there anything you do for kicks?

I like to practice leading the wolves around [moving them from where they are to where I want them, like in heavier deer populated area].

Best one so far was on Mystery Lake map, getting wolf wolf to follow me from Dam all the way to the Camp Office (using the back river/lake access)... then drawing another one from the passage just above the Office near the tracks to join the first... then leading 2 more from the derailment to the lake and grabbing one more that was coming along the tracks from the opposite direction.

Took a long time [real time], and got very unnerving at times. Really hard leading the wolves to the same spot as the others while still trying to make sure the first ones don't get you from behind. Trickiest were those last 3 because I had to keep moving back and forth between the pair and the one from the opposite side to keep them stalking me...

I needed to get the last 3 to merge closer together so that when I led them to the lake with the first two wolves I had follow me, I could still have just enough room to escape around into the camp office. Almost didn't make it, but it was a great adrenaline rush.

Managed to get all 5 near each other like a pack... took almost an hour real time... loved it (and was great practice) - I still like to practice leading wolves around when I can (they're much trickier now, so I only try with one or two per run) :)

I like to practice leading the wolves around [moving them from where they are to where I want them, like in heavier deer populated area].

Best one so far was on Mystery Lake map, getting wolf wolf to follow me from Dam all the way to the Camp Office (using the back river/lake access)... then drawing another one from the passage just above the Office near the tracks to join the first... then leading 2 more from the derailment to the lake and grabbing one more that was coming along the tracks from the opposite direction.

Took a long time [real time], and got very unnerving at times. Really hard leading the wolves to the same spot as the others while still trying to make sure the first ones don't get you from behind. Trickiest were those last 3 because I had to keep moving back and forth between the pair and the one from the opposite side to keep them stalking me...

I needed to get the last 3 to merge closer together so that when I led them to the lake with the first two wolves I had follow me, I could still have just enough room to escape around into the camp office. Almost didn't make it, but it was a great adrenaline rush.

Managed to get all 5 near each other like a pack... took almost an hour real time... loved it (and was great practice) - I still like to practice leading wolves around when I can (they're much trickier now, so I only try with one or two per run) :)

That is pretty ballsy. I tried to kite two a few times, but always ended up getting taken down. I have accidentally killed myself on a few occasion kiting one and then running into another. I then ended up with lot me. I guess I need more kiting practice.

Now that the devs have adjusted the wolf settings to give them a fair chance against the players, getting them to stalk you is a lot trickier, and more challenging. That's why I pretty much limit myself to just one or two wolves at a time now.

I died a lot (and quickly) with most of my first attempts, but the time is worthwhile in order to see how the wolf AI reacts, and how you can maneuver either the wolves, or at least work around to lose or avoid them.

If I haven't practiced in a while, I'll spend 5 or 6 quick rounds to try luring a wolf around again just to get the timing right. I forget at times, but definitely a couple of quick rounds after a major update is worth doing - that way I can hopefully spot some of the more drastic AI changes if any were made.

Another way to practice is luring a wolf to the house or building I'm using as shelter, and then practicing dash escapes [getting the timing and directions right to escape past a lurking wolf]. That really helps in spotting land areas that can also help [e.g. angle of rocks that can be climbed, or fast cliff edges to scale down in an emergency].

Fast escape paths have saved me more than once ;)

One thing I haven't tried yet, but might give a shot... I'm curious to see how many bears can be lured to the same spot. Might mean luring bears to each other first, and then getting the extra bear to join following (don't know if the bear AI is set so more than one will track you at the same time).

Could be fun trying to get a bear family all together for a reunion [i.e. bears get together for a player picnic] :lol:

I once tried (without success) to find the elusive owl at night, wandering around in the valleys near trapper's homestead for more than two hours in complete darkness. That was pretty exciting.^^

Apart from that, I hand-fought wolves on purpose from time to time. Mainly to practice how to kill them on the spot (it's annoying to search their corpse if they run away too far) and to acquire new wolf pelts for crafting.

I also occasionally made crafting trips to Quonset gas station when my daily routines started to bore me. Leaving the backdoor of this place always makes my heart sink to my boots as I got killed there twice when I was new to the game.^^

And ever since I had bears in my savegame, I lured them next to buildings and played big game hunter. :)

Archived