Pickup Animal Corpses

Shanti

I would like the option to pick up the corpses of animals.

I recently trapped a pair of rabbits, but wasn't able to get back to them right away. Of course when I got back, I have 2 frozen rabbit corpses, which aren't worth the effort of building a camp fire to thaw, and should be light enough to simply scoop out of the snow and take home where I can thaw them by the fire.

I think that a corpse should weigh 50-100% more than the weight of all harvestable resources on the corpse, and should be able to go right into the backpack. Even a deer or wolf carcass should be able to be thrown over the shoulders or dragged through the snow!

I have voice my approval for carting animals numerous times. Maybe to balance it out some, carting a kill gives off a larger smell plume. It is now you and whatever you are carry or dragging. Maybe fresh kills of large animals could leave a blood trail for a few hundred meters.

Whenever I kill large game, I usually hang it and dress it on the spot. I don't want to have to haul all the blood, guts and what not I am not going to use. However in this situation, I would prefer to keep as much of the animal as possible. Just about everything can be eaten or used, even the stuff we usually cast aside. Small animals I just put in my game bag and dress them out when I get close to camp. I don't want the cast off guts attracting prey animals up into my bivouac. Again, in this desperate situation a lot more could be cooked. Liver, heart, stomach, blood... all very edible. Just gutting/skinning a whole rabbit, tossing it into a stew pot would offer more food and nutrition than just putting the critter on a spit.

All that said, if the devs do allow us to harvest organs and blood, then I think the decay rate of those needs to be increased. Sweetmeats can spoil quickly, so eating them while they are fresh is paramount. A lot of people harvest the back strap of the deer as the first meal. We usually grill the heart and pan fry the liver w/ onions & garlic. We then drop the whole head into a pit with coals and roast it overnight. You then eat the head the next morning (usually with tortillas and pico, but I have done it with johnny cakes, flat bread and/or beans). Roasts, tenderloins and steaks are saved for later.

• 1 month later...
I would like the option to pick up the corpses of animals.

I recently trapped a pair of rabbits, but wasn't able to get back to them right away. Of course when I got back, I have 2 frozen rabbit corpses, which aren't worth the effort of building a camp fire to thaw, and should be light enough to simply scoop out of the snow and take home where I can thaw them by the fire.

I think that a corpse should weigh 50-100% more than the weight of all harvestable resources on the corpse, and should be able to go right into the backpack. Even a deer or wolf carcass should be able to be thrown over the shoulders or dragged through the snow!

I agree, you should be able to carry rabbits back to your house to harvest, when while large animals may be too large to drag back to your base, you should be able to drag them a short distance just to get them to a place that's out of the wind so you can make a fire.

The mechanic I would suggest for rabbits would be to assign a weight (Wikipedia says an adult wild rabbit weights between .4 and 2 kg), then they can just be picked up and moved around like any other object. Once you get home, you would have to drop it on the ground again then you can skin it as normal.

Wikipedia says an adult male wolf weighs 50 kg, so that's a little heavy to just pick up, but you should be able to drag it around at a very slow speed. And if you can reach a door and click it while still dragging, then you should be able to move it inside.

Wikipedia seems unclear about the weight of a deer, but gives a range of 30 to 300kg. I guess the game designers would have to specify which species we are dealing with in the game. (but If I got my hands on a 300kg deer, I would hope that I would get more than 10 kg of meat from it). Anyway, I would say its reasonable to drag anything up to 100kg (at a very slow speed) although you may not be able to get the antlers though the door of they are very wide (on the males).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived