Carrying fire

elloco999

In response to this bug Scyzara mentions this about carrying fire using a torch:

It's for sure not the greatest discovery, but I thought it might possibly some day help someone, if I share it:

I've just realized that torches can be ignited with stoves/campfires if you left-click on the stove while you hold a torch in your hand. And well, as you can later on use the burning torch to light another campfire/stove, you now basically have the ability to "carry around fire" (which is what many people asked for).

Geez... no idea why it took me that many hours to realize that I can spread my ever-burning fire wherever I want. xD

Anyway, good job @devs. :)

That's great news!

But using a torch just to carry fire is a rather expensive way to carry fire. To create a torch you need cloth and fuel, two resources that are finite and have other (more important) uses. I'd much rather use a match to light my next fire than use a torch for this purpose (assuming you don't need the torch for something else). Yes, matches are finite too, but I generally run out of cloth before I run out of matches.

But this same mechanic could be used with something that's less expensive that can be gotten from nature like certain fungi, a twig bundle, or making a tinder bundle:

For a tinder bundle take a combination of some semi-dry grass & leaves and a piece of flexible bark; birch, cedar, etc., and roll the bark tightly around the grass & leaves. Wrap and tie it as tightly as possible with some type of cordage or vine or thin green limb.

Place a coal from your current fire in the end and leave it until the bundle begins to smoke and smolder. This bundle can then be carried to another shelter site and used to expedite starting a fire.

The bundle must be tight so that it does not get too much oxygen. Too much oxygen will cause it to burn too fast.

Instead of an open flame, you carry something that smolders and use that to ignite the next fire. It shouldn't cost much (finite) resources but on the other hand it has no other uses than to carry fire.

RE: Torch - I have crafted a few and found a few, but never actually used one. Being able to use one to transfer a fire is great, though I wish they would give more options. I do fear being able to use the starter on the lamp would become OP, though it is a viable solution.

Re: Fire Bundle - Hinterland Bethany said she added the Fire Bundle to her list after I brought it up a few weeks ago. Honestly, it is one of the first things I make. I have two of them in my survival kit using wire to act as my bundling mechanism. That gives me another meter of two of material I can use once I have expended my bundle OR if I want to sacrifice the bundle because I need the wire (like for traps). We just need to pull some wire out of one of the many cars, radios or TVs laying around in the game for the constrictor. OR we could just use gut since it already exists. On a similar note, I think the devs could simply let us forage for fire bundling materials. You could get X amount of constrictor from a house and just use the existing tinder bundle or cat tail as the medium to hold the "fire" bundle. The constrictor could also be used in place of gut for traps and might be able to replace gut for fishing line (it is pretty dark down under the ice). When the fire bundle was used up, you would be left with a broken fire bundle much like having a broken trap. The player would take a few minutes to salvage the line and make another go at it.

I add eeeeverything to my list. We have several threads that mention moving/"carrying" fire. There are some good suggestions regarding this idea floating around.

You said we would get to see this "list"...

Make it a sticky and put it up on the wish list section!!

You can then put a dev response to it: thinking about it, looks good, running with it, no way in... :!:

With something like this in place, we could stop resurrecting various dead horses and beating them to death over and over and over.

I add eeeeverything to my list. We have several threads that mention moving/"carrying" fire. There are some good suggestions regarding this idea floating around.

You can then put a dev response to it: thinking about it, looks good, running with it, no way in... :!:

With something like this in place, we could stop resurrecting various dead horses and beating them to death over and over and over.

I said I would see about sharing it. I'm still organizing it myself, and patience is a virtue :)

I said I would see about sharing it. I'm still organizing it myself, and patience is a virtue :)

I am not a very virtuous man :P

Archived