Magnifying glass and indirect lighting

Ysidro

I already noticed that if there's quite a lot of light with '2h darkness remaining' you can sometimes start a fire with the glass. Which, seeing that in that situation the sunlight reflects off clouds in the distance, shouldn't give enough light for that.

Now I was in the Ravine for the 3 day outside achievement, and was making a fire to get some water. The first time I made it in the cave using matches, but the second time there was quite a lot of light outside and I decided to try and use the magnifying glass. When it allowed it outside the cave I moved inside to see where it would no longer be possible. Turns out that even when you are behind a rock inside the glass can still start the fire. Maybe it should be direct sunlight only?

On a related note I was able to start a fire in a fishing hut with a magnifying glass which seemed odd to me. It was day time but... not particularly bright and the light would have been indirect.

Hm, I reported that as a bug months ago and I thought it was fixed several updates ago.

On a related note I was able to start a fire in a fishing hut with a magnifying glass which seemed odd to me. It was day time but... not particularly bright and the light would have been indirect.

Hm, I reported that as a bug months ago and I thought it was fixed several updates ago.

Very interesting. This was just a couple days ago using v228. Hopefully it gets fixed. :D

I wanted to report this last week (made screenshots and everything from making fires inside the fishing huts, while the shadow clearly shows I was in the shadow) and then ended up deleting it: I thought it was by design. Since you have to use cinder anyways, you could as well just carry the cinder outside, start the fire, bring it inside the hut again. :D

... you could as well just carry the cinder outside, start the fire, bring it inside the hut again. :D

You make a good point there! I would do that if a magnifying glass was my only method of lighting a fire, or I wanted to save my other methods for another time. But this could then also be used for starting fires inside buildings with the magnifying glass and that's not possible. (maybe it should be ;))

Archived