Ideas

Dropy

How about a spear, bow, crossbow. Maybe a couple various types of rifles like a small game .22. Scope and binoculars. The ability to make bows and arrows also might be nice. Flashlight?

all of this has been mentioned before on threads probably. spear, bow, crossbow could be added. .22 not unless its picked up off a dead official. Pistols are against the law in Canada except with permits. Its not that he could not find one on a corps of a guy with a permit however. Or that one could not be found in a house with a permitted owner. Binoculars ++. Most feel the making of bows and arrows to be a craft out of the scope of this game. Flashlights are electric and don't work because of geomagnetic storm.

all of this has been mentioned before on threads probably. spear, bow, crossbow could be added. .22 not unless its picked up off a dead official. Pistols are against the law in Canada except with permits. Its not that he could not find one on a corps of a guy with a permit however. Or that one could not be found in a house with a permitted owner. Binoculars ++. Most feel the making of bows and arrows to be a craft out of the scope of this game. Flashlights are electric and don't work because of geomagnetic storm.

OK, just because something is illegal does not mean people do not have it. People forget that it is in the nature of criminals to break the law. Also some common citizen also break because they feel they "need" to. That need could be a stil, a pot house in the basement or a few illegal firearms (though we all know the list goes on and on).

I don't have any problem with a player finding another sort of firearm. The real stickler is the bullets! A firearm without ammo is a just club.

Pistols are not illegal in Canada. Semi auto pistols are illegal as well as short barrel pistols are illegal. Plenty of revolver hunting up there to be had.

How about a compass also? THAT would be nice.

Would also like to see a modification to the amount of meat ya get off the deer. I KNOW a good 8 point buck can yield an EASY 100 pounds of meat.

Pistols are not illegal in Canada. Semi auto pistols are illegal as well as short barrel pistols are illegal. Plenty of revolver hunting up there to be had.

Would also like to see a modification to the amount of meat ya get off the deer. I KNOW a good 8 point buck can yield an EASY 100 pounds of meat.

True, not illegal, but restricted. It's certainly plausible that a pistol could be found, especially in certain locations (e.g. prepper cache)

Compasses do not work due to the geomagnetic storm.

The meat gained off the animal is not accurate, but consider the effect on gameplay that easily gaining 100 lbs of meat would have. If this was to be made more realistic, so to would the chances of encountering a deer to balance this, and you would have to spend a week or more looking for one... so, I'd prefer if they left these at least similar to how they are now, purely because it provides more engaging gameplay.

True, not illegal, but restricted. It's certainly plausible that a pistol could be found, especially in certain locations (e.g. prepper cache)

Compasses do not work due to the geomagnetic storm.

The meat gained off the animal is not accurate, but consider the effect on gameplay that easily gaining 100 lbs of meat would have. If this was to be made more realistic, so to would the chances of encountering a deer to balance this, and you would have to spend a week or more looking for one... so, I'd prefer if they left these at least similar to how they are now, purely because it provides more engaging gameplay.

All the handguns in Canada stuff I dug up in another thread.

http://www.hinterlandforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=4806

Good points toebar. I forgot about the geo thing screwing with electronis and such. Ok no compass. What about an analog watch then so we can find north/south then? No electrics in that wind up watch. And some of us know how to use such a watch to find north/south.

Maybe make some of deal where you can "Draw a map" with some tools like paper from a book or leather, a writing tool and the watch (for north/south) and a certain amount of time and "build" a map the way we "build" stuff at work benches.

also work benches kinda suck. No reason I cant set at a table and sew up some boots or a jacket just as easily as I can at a workbench..... Or sit on the bed and do the same thing. Just saying.

What about an analog watch then so we can find north/south then?

Yes. An analog watch, implemented in such a way people would say it was shamefully copied from Metro 2033. Because it would be, more or less. But how many ways to implement watches are there? Just press a key and the character raises their hand and you look at the watch. Completely immersive. The only problem being it would require a body model. So if the distant future holds a body model, maybe it also holds a watch.

And it would have a pretty luminescent dial you could contemplate in the dark and would be a thing of simplicity and understated beauty you could not help but look at, along the lines of a Sinn 856, the one without the extra time zone. But you'd know in bad weather how much time of daylight/darkness you have left, information which the game doesn't want you know. I hope this won't be what kills the watch.

If it also showed the month it would be even better. You would no longer need the menu telling you how long you survived, and gain some immersion. Just have sandbox always start at the same date so it would be easy to always figure out how many days/months you survived and not have to remember a different date every time you would start a new game.

Perhaps you would even do something special on Christmas or other dates you find significant, decorate the house with some lit lanterns or something. Just because you'd be able to tell when Christmas, or any other date, is.

Also, you would have to be able to tell the time and use it as a compass, under the constraint of a single animation to raise the watch to look at it, again a la Metro 2033. Having the watch horizontal in "compass mode" would just make things unnecessarily complicated.

Perhaps, a small glint on the edge of the glass would tell you where the sun is relative to the hour hand "if you were keeping it horizontal". You'd just rotate on spot and overlap the glint with the hour hand. Then, you would see where north is, say, between 7 and 8 and then you would rotate on spot, putting the glint between 7 and 8. And you should be looking north. I think.

What about an analog watch then so we can find north/south then?

...snip... But how many ways to implement watches are there? Just press a key and the character raises their hand and you look at the watch. Completely immersive. The only problem being it would require a body model. So if the distant future holds a body model, maybe it also holds a watch...snip...

It could be done arma style. Press and hold a button and a watch pops onto the screen sans wrist.

It could be done arma style. Press and hold a button and a watch pops onto the screen sans wrist.

At the expense of immersion, yes. Not worth it in my opinion. If implemented it should go to the end and have a model for the hand.

At the expense of immersion, yes. Not worth it in my opinion. If implemented it should go to the end and have a model for the hand.

Agreed.

Archived