v.228 & Freezing to Death in a Fishing Hut

It seems the heat benefits of the pot bellied stove in fishing huts is gone. I died three times on Stalker today with a blizzard raging outside or it was just cold. I had my anywhere from 2 to 4 hours of wood in the stove and either standing or sleeping in the default sleeping bag.

We can still cook and melt/boil water... but the heater portion just seems to be nil.

I noticed that too. It takes quite a while to get warm as the there is no door. But when I remember correctly it eventually became warm and saved my life.

It I stand next to a pot bellied stove with a few hours of wood burned and a few hours to burn, that oven should look like a cherry. If it was cold enough to freeze someone to death standing next to a stove, then it is cold enough to snuff the fire.

I could be mistaken but I've wondered if the cause of this is the direction of the wind on a particularly cold day or evening. I've had his issue too but somewhat sporadically. I wonder if it is because on those occasions when the stove isn't cutting it the wind is blowing directly into the hut. I'd be curious to know if that is even a possibility with the way the game is programmed or if I'm just occasionally experiencing a cold fire can't cut.

It is possible that it was to cold for the fire to heat you up, this usually happens when the wind is blowing straight through the door and you are no longer getting cover from the wind. I'll check it out to make sure nothing is wrong with the fires though. We did do some tweaking a couple versions ago.

Jeremy

It is possible that it was to cold for the fire to heat you up, this usually happens when the wind is blowing straight through the door and you are no longer getting cover from the wind. I'll check it out to make sure nothing is wrong with the fires though. We did do some tweaking a couple versions ago.

Jeremy

I know for certain one of the times the wind was blowing to the side of the hut, it was not "to cold" and I had good gear. I can't speak for the other times. I call me checking the wind direction, but I was also pretty early on some of those games. Could also have been my initial gear was sub par for the storm outside.

Next time this happens I will take some screen shots and make sure to jot all the specifics down.

Also, you may think that "oh this fire isn't heating me up it must not be working" Pay attention to the Feels Like numbers, are they going up? Is the Air Temp going up? In order for your Cold bar to begin going down, the Feels Like Temp needs to be above 0 Celsius or 34 Fahrenheit.

Sometimes the weather is just to cold for a single fire to heat you up enough. Also remember that different types of wood give different heat, Fir wood giving the most heat.

Jeremy

Archived