Darkness is not dark enough

Maikleeps

I am talking about the darkness in houses at night. Even if it is really dark outside you can still see the interior and walk around. The view is awful and not very good and you won't be finding any items, but you do not have to switch on the lantern. Just try it! Btw I didn't change any brightness settings.

If it is really dark outside why not considering to have a pitch dark screen (except for the windows) when inside a building. The player will be forced to switch on the lantern or use a match.

56ce13053ab23_darkoutsideWeathernice.thu

56ce130887376_darkinsideweathernice.thum

I can't see a thing at night inside a building, except for the windows. Nor can I see anything on the posted screenshots (again, except for the window). When I know the layout of a house I can usually find my way in the dark by using the windows as reference points, but I can't see anything like furniture that's in the way. At the PV farm I've gotten stuck in the kitchen because I couldn't move around the counters that divide the kitchen from the rest of the house.

But I don't have the gamma turned up high and the brightness and contrast settings on my monitor are always set low because my eyes will get irritated when working on a bright monitor.

This is just a guess, but it probably depends on your monitor and its default settings. I recently exchanged my old LCD monitor (Samsung) for a new LED monitor (BenQ) and everything seems much brighter now.

On the old monitor, the interior of houses was pitch-black at night, I really couldn't see anything. On the new one I can easily see the silhouettes of the furniture. Screenshots are also much darker than what I see while actually playing now.^^

But I don't mind that the interior of houses isn't pitch-black for me any more. I mean, in reality your eyes would adapt to the darkness (to some extent) as well. ;)

I have cat eyes so i dont have any problem walking in darkness. LOL

Just joking, "Scyzara" is right, our eyes can adapt to darkness if we used to it, try stay in dark room for 15' and everything become quite clear. So i think it dont need to be pitch black at all.

Quite true, if there is any light (like the light of the moon shining through the windows) your eye's adapt and you will be able to see well enough to walk around the room. But after using any light source your eyes will need to adapt to the darkness again and at first you'll see very little.

Of course, if there is no ambient light (very cloudy night) there simply is no light for your eye's to see and the screen should be pitch black.

Maybe the devs could include a monitor adjustment guideline in the settings? Because of the aforementioned differences between monitors, various other games take this approach to allow players to view the game as close as possible to how it was intended.

Archived