More wildlife to give some rest to wolves ?

Hobbesyb

I think wolves should be set less agressive, like IRL. Most of them should run away, afraid of humans. But some, that are very hungry, could attack the player.

To counterbalance this diminution of danger, I suggest the devs to add simply abandonned dogs, who can be more agressive, maybe more bears, but also other kinds of wildlife like boars or buffalos, that could charge the player if annoyed (could also work with staggs).

Concentrating every wildlife dangers on wolves is not realistic (and participates to the angry wolf myth), discouraging for the player, and doesn't seem to be the only solution. We can also imagine attacks by eagles if we lay on the snow, too weak. Are there any snow leopards in north Canada ?

But maybe this balancing with more animal species and hazards is being looked at ?

Keep up the good work !

Hey there!

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback. We are definitely aware this is not "normal" behaviour for wolves, and make note of this in our loading screen ("As the result of the geomagnetic disaster which serves as part of the fictional foundation of the game, we have taken liberties with the portrayal of wildlife behaviour."). It's a mechanic that provides a challenge for the player, and forces them to adapt to (and survive) the behaviour of the wildlife around them, in addition to several other things.

That being said, the game is still somewhat young. It is still growing and evolving, and things may change (or stay somewhat the same) in the future. Only time will tell!

i like the idea to add more animals and i like the fact that im not the only one who thinks wolves are a little to in your face so to say on the other hand i do understand that a disaster would cause animal behavior to be more aggressive i feel however that if you stay in an area long enough they should calm down a bit. in other words the longer your around and or the more you fight them off they will leave you alone after a while

Cats in this area are Mt lion or cougar and lynx. In the tundra there are buffalo. But here moose is the more likely danger. Maybe elk too. Wolverine might be I don't know.

What about a loose domestic cow or bull. Or loose domestic hogs.

Don't know if it's true but I've heard that there is an owl in the game. Every once in a while Will will say something out of nowhere while I'm running in total silence through a pass or forest and give me a heart attack. A couple of well placed owl hoots could do the same.

It would be very cool to be running around Jackrabbit Island and suddenly have a large eagle scoop a rabbit a few yards in front of me and fly off with it in his talons.

I could go on but you get the idea. More fauna and flora.

I was thinking about this over the weekend, while dodging wolves on Stalker.

What if the wolves have developed a taste for humans? It would be akin to a bear, cougar or even a tiger getting a taste for humans and then hunting them down. One of the reasons why when a man-eater shows up, Park Rangers (and Fish and Wildlife) go out on the hunt. What if the wolves have gotten a taste??

Having an eagle, owl or other raptor come down and grab prey would be cool. I think it would just as cool to come out and see a raptor eating on an animal you have snared. However, if they do put in birds... then changing the .303 to a shotgun would be nice. Then we could find slugs or shot. It would also change they way we moved and hunted. We would have to start looking up more. Add in a few winter geese or whatever else may be flying around in that locale in the winter. Adding in birds (and feathers) could also benefit crafting.

Add in a few winter geese or whatever else may be flying around in that locale in the winter. Adding in birds (and feathers) could also benefit crafting.

Trumpeter Swans will winter in areas pretty far north, so long as there is open water-- e.g. where a river flows out of a large lake, it often stays uncovered by ice though a *normal* winter. They're a big bird, and could be well worth the effort.

Canada Geese (apparently) winter all along the BC coast, so they could be also found where there is open water.

Grouse would be another realistic suggestion for bird hunting.

Archived