A few ideas

SithWizard

Let me start off by saying that I love the game.

So lets get to the ideas.

1. Hand guns. Close range weapon, lower damage than a rifle, possibly used as a defense in a wolf attack.

2. Shotguns. Huge close range damage, poor long range damage, good for hunting pheasant or rabbit.

3. Pheasants or grouse as hunting animals.

4. Kodiak / grizzly bears. Bigger, meaner, more aggressive and harder to drop than a brown bear.

5. Polar bears. like the kodiak / grizzly bear except being white they are harder to see. Also they are known to actually stalk and hunt humans when hungry.

6. Gasoline. Perhaps some cars have gas in them that can be siphoned into a jerrycan.

7 Hygiene. Lets face it, your going to smell bad and need to cleanup from time to time. Adding a hygiene meter would be interesting. If it falls to zero you could possibly become sick or simply be less effective at doing ordinary tasks. Simply add the ability to use water to either clean yourself or brush your teeth or whatever at a sink or bath tub location. Just for flavor.. maybe have it as an on / off game option.

8. More maps. Perhaps by traveling through 5 maps you can make it to a town or small city where you can even meet other survivors and trade items? With enough maps you could eventually travel through entire regions down from Canada into the US and beyond.

9. Different folks. Maybe you could start with small differences between genders? Perhaps a male is able to carry slightly more weight before becoming encumbered and a woman would be slightly more agile or stealthy and have a slightly faster unencumbered movement?

10. Multiplayer! This would have to be handled with care, say no more than 2-4 people. It could be co-op where someone is out collecting one thing while others are out hunting. Perhaps a free for all mode as well where players could actually steal each others stashes or even shoot each other. Obviously this would have to be handled to not make it like an FPS shooter.

Let me start off by saying that I love the game.

Of course you do. You have good taste. ;)

So lets get to the ideas.

1. Hand guns. Close range weapon, lower damage than a rifle, possibly used as a defense in a wolf attack.

Been done before. Here is a link. http://www.hinterlandforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=4806&p=28644&hilit=handgun#p28644

2. Shotguns. Huge close range damage, poor long range damage, good for hunting pheasant or rabbit.

3. Pheasants or grouse as hunting animals.

I like it. Seems a single shot shotgun would be the sort of thing you would find in Canada. Probably even more common out in the sticks. And of course we would need additional critters to hunt. :D

4. Kodiak / grizzly bears. Bigger, meaner, more aggressive and harder to drop than a brown bear.

I’m all for this one too. I like a challenge.

5. Polar bears. like the kodiak / grizzly bear except being white they are harder to see. Also they are known to actually stalk and hunt humans when hungry.

Also been done before. Here are more links.

http://www.hinterlandforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=4965&hilit=polar

Polar bear range in North America

6. Gasoline. Perhaps some cars have gas in them that can be siphoned into a jerrycan.

Not as lantern fuel though. Bad idea IRL. Could be used as an accelerant perhaps.

7 Hygiene. Lets face it, your going to smell bad and need to cleanup from time to time. Adding a hygiene meter would be interesting. If it falls to zero you could possibly become sick or simply be less effective at doing ordinary tasks. Simply add the ability to use water to either clean yourself or brush your teeth or whatever at a sink or bath tub location. Just for flavor.. maybe have it as an on / off game option.

I like immersion but brushing my teeth seems like a moot point given the circumstances though I could see the need to wash after some activities such as wrestling with a bear… Bears smell. :D

8. More maps. Perhaps by traveling through 5 maps you can make it to a town or small city where you can even meet other survivors and trade items? With enough maps you could eventually travel through entire regions down from Canada into the US and beyond.

Heck yeah! Now were cooking! I would love to see this but it seems like a very ambitious, long long long long term goal.

While we’re on the subject, what would you do if you won the lottery? :)

9. Different folks. Maybe you could start with small differences between genders? Perhaps a male is able to carry slightly more weight before becoming encumbered and a woman would be slightly more agile or stealthy and have a slightly faster unencumbered movement?

But the woman would attract bears!

Get it? Anchorman anyone?

10. Multiplayer! This would have to be handled with care, say no more than 2-4 people. It could be co-op where someone is out collecting one thing while others are out hunting. Perhaps a free for all mode as well where players could actually steal each others stashes or even shoot each other. Obviously this would have to be handled to not make it like an FPS shooter.

I could see co-op play but only if the players all slept at the same time. Otherwise I’m sure the passage of time would become an issue. Not to mention that changes in the weather seem to key off of the player’s sleep cycle. Would be tons of fun if it could be managed. Count me in!

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions! I've made note of a couple of items. The one thing I can tell you with a high level of certainty is that there are no plans for co-op/multiplayer at this time. The rest? We'll see!

Glad you're enjoying the game!

Archived