let us decorate goddamit

MrGodd2K9

I agree, It was something I was thinking about when I started my latest game.. It would be nice to be able to place any item in the game and since there are already a couple items that can be placed, it seems it would not take to much effort to add a placement option for all the items in the game.

A big +1 on this Idea..

I agree I mean you can already drop items, seems like it would be easy enough to add a function that allows you to move items precisely like the storm lantern :-) would make your home bases seems more lived in and add more immersion to the game

Another thing I would like to see is the ability to fix objects in the game like selves and drawers that are broken. Being able to move chairs and shelves would be nice as well as being able to use the furniture. If that and placeable items were to be introduced to the game it would really expand on what we can do as well as the game play and what everyone does.

Another Idea I had was clearing obstructions.. The mine or caves would be a great place for that and would be a great way to hide some select content to collect up. Even obstructions in houses such as a leaning shelve or whatnot that lead to a hidden door or passage..

• 1 month later...
Another thing I would like to see is the ability to fix objects in the game like selves and drawers that are broken. Being able to move chairs and shelves would be nice as well as being able to use the furniture. If that and placeable items were to be introduced to the game it would really expand on what we can do as well as the game play and what everyone does.

Another Idea I had was clearing obstructions.. The mine or caves would be a great place for that and would be a great way to hide some select content to collect up. Even obstructions in houses such as a leaning shelve or whatnot that lead to a hidden door or passage..

As far as the cleaning up the houses go, you could just make two or three different interior maps, each one a little cleaner than the last, and then when the character selects an option (perhaps a clickable object like a mop and bucket) they get the option to put some hours into the house cleanup. For every 5 hours, you get the next cleaner map. Failing that, can someone redo the map of pleasant valley farmhouse so it does not have a chair blocking the walkway from the kitchen to the rest of the house.

Sorry for snapping back the thread to the original post, but there's a downside to decorating, because placing items outside containers make them degrade faster.

Unless it becomes a rule that as long as they're indoors things don't degenerate fast, not many people will use that feature.

Well, most things you might use to decorate your base (cured pelts, lanterns, maybe surplus rifles or tools) don't deteriorate over time anyway. ;)

I for one wouldn't mind more options to place things (like we can currently do with the bedroll or lantern), but it's nothing I totally long for either. The same is true for changing a house's furniture, moving out corpses, etc.

Yeah I like this idea too. I noticed fallout 4 will have something like it :)

I've wanted to drag a locker from the dam (or cabins) to the Lake office for soooo long now because of lack of storage space. I don't mind if it weighs so much that I pretty much have to drop everything else drag it back, slowly, in stages.... that'd be a real accomplishment. Those sealable plastic containers you find here and there should be moveable and possibly preserve stuff better than, say, a filing cabinet?

The only reason I am against "decorating" (placing some things on shelves, like furs or guts or whatever is ok) is that to me, it eliminates some of the fear factor of this game. This is a survival game, we have no idea what happened, we're finding a couple frozen corpses and a lot of abandoned areas. Isn't the point of the game more to figure out what's happening, survive, reach civilization again, etc. rather than inhabit someone's summer cabin?

To me, placing decorations in a house seems like it would go against the vibe of the game. Now placing items that are curing on shelves I'm okay with, but much more than that and ehhhhh....

It's not much decorating as managing space. At the farmhouse in PV it's not a big deal (if we ignore that damn chair on the floor), but for example at trapper's in ML having a way to place item on all the surfaces and not only on the floor could make it way more manageable. If you set up your base in a small place and don't have many containers placing items around could be very useful.

Archived