toilet water tank or bowl

caverdude

• 1 month later...
With all that snow around, there's no point anyway.

It does if you start adding up all the hours you're spending collecting wood, melting snow and boiling water.

Since you don't have to melt or boil the water from the toilet, or collect the firewood to do so, I reckon that's a gains of about 1 hour per toilet. (Assuming it takes 20 minutes to melt a liter's worth of snow and 10 to boil it, and a toilet contains about 1,8/1,9 litre of water - add up a couple of minutes for collecting firewood.)

With ten to eleven houses in Coastal Highway and four or five in Pleasant Valley having toilet bowls, that's a cumulative time advantage of about 15 hours worth of resources. For free!

So hell yeah I'm drinking toilet water! (Actually no, I'm saving it for when I'm in a tight spot, but you get the point)

I prefer not to, bacterias live in there.

What about the water tank though?

Okay, in real life I would treat it as unpurified water as well, but since irl I'm not of the prepper persuasion it's a hypothetical to me.

What about the water tank though?

Okay, in real life I would treat it as unpurified water as well, but since irl I'm not of the prepper persuasion it's a hypothetical to me.

I think water tank is fine. Just image clean water go through a dirty pipe first then your mouth.

The water in the tank of a toilet is perfectly save to drink as long as it's just water (you can throw those tabs in the tank that will slowly dissolve and release some cleaning or disinfecting agent to the water, that would probably not be save to drink) and the water hasn't been there for very long. That said, IRL if I had to use that water and had the ability to boil it I would do so anyway just to be sure.

Drinking from the bowl is a whole different story. It might be somewhat safe depending on how clean the bowl is, but I would not risk it. Considering there is plenty of snow all around, melting that would be a far safer option.

I prefer not to, bacterias live in there.

Bacteria live everywhere, on the keyboard you used to type that post, on your hands, in your mouth, in your body, in the air, they are everywhere. Many (most?) bacteria are harmless or even beneficial to us. In fact, our bodies need a lot of bacteria to function (bacteria help our body to break down the food we eat so our body can absorb the nutrients for example).

That said, you probably don't want to come into contact with some of the bacteria possibly living in a toilet bowl... So no, I would prefer not to use that as a water source.

The cistern would be the most likely source of water. The stuff in the bowl freezes very rapidly when it isn't maintained. The cistern is isolated, and is surrounded by thick ceramic so will be insulated (a bit). the bowl is open to a large pipe which leads directly outside - so it would freeze very rapidly.

The cistern is full of clean drinkable water, the bowl would likely give you gastroenteritis, cholera or typhoid.

Archived