Why is the character so short?

Greavette

Does anyone else who plays this game feel like they are crawling around on the ground? I find it very subtly annoying that I feel so short. I just feel like the viewpoint of the character needs to be slightly higher. Am I the only one who feels this way?

I heard people saying that the point of view is so low because you are walking knee-deep in snow. But if that's true, I would at least like to see the point of view getting raised whenever walking on a hard surface (ice, wood, rocks etc.). I don't know if that's feasible, but right now it really feels like the character is a hobbit.

Funny I've never even thought about it until you pointed it out... but now you have.. yeah, I guess so. I'll have to check a little more carefully when I get back in game how you compare to doors etc too.

Yeah, I never noticed it before but now that I'm thinking about it... Checking against doors and the like seems to be the best way to be sure.

• 1 month later...
I heard people saying that the point of view is so low because you are walking knee-deep in snow.

That may have been the original idea, but both the gameplay and the tracks the player leaves behind in the snow (footprints) suggests you're walking *on* the snow, not so much that you're ploughing through it.

If the player was ploughing through meters of snow, there would have to be a sense of continuous drag, being held back, having to really wrestle to get through. But that's not the case at all. The sounds and movement offers the suggestion you are hopping over the snow like a overly large but nimble bunny.

Also, the track you'd leave behind wouldn't be footprints, but a continuous drag mark.

And as noted, the vantage point would rise significantly as soon as one reaches more solid ground, let alone a road, the ice, indoors, etc. None of that seems to be happening.

Personally, I forget that I seem to be dwarf sized most of the time. But when I do, it does shatter the illusion, and I'm like: "Come on, guys! I know you can do better!" Ah, well; for the time being, it'll just have to make do.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

i agree with this. it does seem noticeable in the snow and crossing bridges. I like duck walking/sneaking but there maybe should be a bigger height difference from duck walking to standing. Even if this is looked at and fixed in the areas its noticeable. i haven't felt short inside buildings but certainly crossing bridges and on some snow areas i did feel half the person i am! :) 

Just discovered The Long Dark a few weeks ago and this forum just a few days ago. The game rocks! And so do the people over here... Thanks for the warm welcome! :big_smile::coffee:    @alone sniper

I just introduced myself on the 'introduce yourself' page... Never was really into gaming nor using forums... So have to figure out this community and how this all works... :crosseye:

Archived