Penalties for going over your limits

exeexe

When you get starvation, dehydration, freezing or exhausted, there should be penalties.

Like for starvation: headache, unable to focus, forced to take frequently breaks, loss of muscles, so you could have a bar telling your strength? Unable to sense thirst, the chance of getting infections increases

Dehydration: headache, fainting, unconsciousness

Freezing: Frostbites (since its a game frostbites should never give permanent handicaps), Amnesia (so forexample your firemaking skills decreases) unable to run

But if you have a lot of calories you should also be able to run to prevent yourself from freezing

Exhausted (Sleep deprivation): headaches, hallucinations, but also i think you shouldn't die from exhaustion. I think if you are exhausted and down to ~6%, you should just go to sleep and hope that you wake up.

I think these are good ideas but my feeling is the developer does not show great interest in this direction.

The ideas have been brought up many times in variants. For example if people starve it could not lead to death right away, but reduce fat/weight and have long term penalties. Perhaps a simple stat for weight would do, and when the character weighs eg 50% of his/her healthy body weight, dies of starvation. It could also influence resistance against disease, cold, strength against wolves etc. That would be more logic, but perhaps require bigger maps and a complete overhaul of the game for which it may be too late in this game.

They're definitely ideas to consider - And we do have interest in hearing them. The game will continue to grow and change throughout its alpha phase, and many things may come and go. We'll see what we're able to work into the mix.

Thanks for the suggestions!

When you get starvation, dehydration, freezing or exhausted, there should be penalties.

It should be noted that various penalties have been in place from the very start of the first version...

There have been a couple of test versions which felt and play very well for natural [fairly realistic] penalties, but a lot of players were having difficulty adjusting to some of the changes (they felt and posted that they were being unfairly penalized because the changes interfered with how they wanted to play). It seemed hard to get the message across that balances and changes were simply being tested [players often took setting changes as if they were meant to be the same as final settings], and that there would be a lot more balance changes and adjustments as other features, functions, and new settings were added.

The devs are constantly tweaking and testing combinations of settings, penalties, and gameplay function - it's not always readily obvious, but they do a lot of tuning and adjustments with each update to narrow down the right balance needed.

• 1 year later...

As I read one person saying in the steam discussion, and i personally think they are, i think for example fainting should be a thing. "I think I'm going to faint" would have definitely  more of a strong message if it could actually happen,  should probably be a thing, if you are running yourself short and abusing the damage you are taking, fainting should be something we would have to take into account. Maybe not for long, but enough that if we are left out in the cold for 30m and the temperature gets worse and we weren't in good condition,  we could die from it or get attacked by a wolf. 

It's a characteristic i would really appreciate. 

If you faint in conditions that are present in the LD, outside,  then youl freeze to death with 90% probability.

The fact that you fainted means that your body is overtaxed and rapid cooling of the body core will only draw on what little resources you have remaining.

Archived