New! Help Test the Experimental Unity 5 Build

• Hinterland

Hello all,

The team has been working hard on updating the game to Unity 5, and we're ready to share the first phase of our progress. In the studio, we've seen major performance improvements across all regions, on the order of a 25-30% frame-rate increase. Of course, this will be dependent on your specific system.

We've done a lot of testing but we don't want to convert the game to Unity 5 until we can get more feedback, so for this one update only, we're creating a new "branch" of the game. You have to Opt In to this branch to test Unity 5.

*** IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO TEST THE GAME ON UNITY 5, AND/OR DO NOT WANT TO RISK LOSING CURRENT GAME PROGRESS, DO NOT UPDATE TO THE EXPERIMENTAL UNITY 5 BRANCH. ***

EXPERIMENTAL BRANCH INSTRUCTIONS

To test the new Unity 5 Experimental Branch, please use the following instructions:

1) Find The Long Dark in your Steam library.

2) Right-click on the game, and select Properties.

3) Under Properties, click the Betas tab.

4) On the Beta Tab, enter the password: 5F2UcCXuG4dxrsrD

5) Click "Check Code"

6) From the Beta Tab dropdown menu, select the build calleld "test_u5"

Steam should now download the experimental Unity 5 build.

If you want to go back to v.218, simply go through steps 1-3, but select the "NONE - Opt out of all Beta programs" option from the dropdown menu on the Betas tab.

FEEDBACK ON THE UNITY 5 BUILD

Please post your feedback on the Experimental Unity 5 build here in this thread.

It would be very helpful to us if you can provide a benchmark of the delta between U4 performance and U5 performance (i.e. how much it has changed), across the three major game regions.

Also, if you encounter bugs, please include some information on your hardware setup (graphics card and CPU in particular). Also, please ensure your graphics drivers are up to date.

Thanks for helping us with testing the Experimental Unity 5 build. If we don't find any major issues, we'll update the main public built to Unity 5 next week, so that everyone can benefit from the performance improvements.

Again -- please post feedback in this thread.

Thank you!

- The Hinterland Team

Just playing the beta with unity5 on my macbook pro ... settings: ultrahigh ... i love it. great performance, however. the imac was the one in the first place, that had the performance issues. can't wait to try it with the imac, but i'll have no access to it before monday ...

So just did a run with my crappier laptop and what an amazing improvement, it's like night and day. Below are my computer specs:

Intel i7-2.40 Ghz

8 gigs of ram

Intel Integrated Adapter

Windows 8 64-bit

Earlier versions I could only run the game at 1280x800 windowed mode and Quality settings at medium. I would get 30fps pretty much everywhere and sometime much lower particularly PV. And the game would get pretty choppy sometimes. If went any higher in the quality settings or resolution the game became unplayable.

The U5 version I am still only getting 30fps however it is much smoother no stutter at all. I moved up to 1920x1080 resolution and the game is running great and I get a solid 30fps. Moving up in quality from Medium to high I get a I drop down to 20fps but the game is still completely playable, its got a little bit of stutter when it snows or if there is heavy wind. Turning the quality up to Ultra I drop down to 15fps but the thing that is amazing is the game still runs. I couldn't even get the game to run on Ultra setting.

This is huge improvement for my Ghetto Fabulous Laptop, I never expected to get 60fps and perfect performance at Ultra quality from this machine but just being able to run at those settings is big.

Just sent a little feedback by email, but when I'm in ultra, and I move around to look, if feels and looks like there is a filter of sorts on my 'Lens' . . . When I move the Camera, the visuals change, but there is like a fabric filter on the lens and stays that way until I stop the movement. When I move again, the filter grabs the lens again, and moves with it ?? Known issue ??

Huge FPS improvements across all areas (indoors and outside), lighting and shadows seem a lot more vibrant as well. God rays look incredible for interiors now.

Only location that had stutter (even though slightly higher FPS than Unity 4 version) was going through the Abandoned Mine - all other areas ran smoothly.

Have been getting between 25% to 40% improved FPS in newer Unity version of the game.

Outside:

Unity 4 Version: usual range between 25FPS to 40FPS

Unity 5 Version: range 35FPS to 60+FPS

Inside:

Unity 4 Version: usual range between 40FPS to 50FPS

Unity 5 Version: range 50FPS to 60+FPS

Win7 64-bit 3.4GHz Intel Core i7-2600K CPU, 16GB DDR3

NVidia GeFOrce GTX 550 Ti running FOV 90, Ultra setting, 1920x1080

(system is about 5 or 6 years old)

NOTE: While playing, I usually have multiple monitors and programs running (most often PhotoShop and Illustrator, and sometimes Dreamweaver fully loaded), multiple streaming applications, and anywhere from 10-25 browser windows and multiple browser types running simultaneously.

As I am not alowed to reply in original post from Raph about feedbacks of testing Unity5,I will feel free to post my feedback here.

First of all,I don`t know,if i am doing something wrong,as after I updated it to Unity5,I have same or more lag than with Unity4.I have now also problem with cotrast,as it can be seen on two screenshoots I posted.Loading outdoors now lasts 20sec in Unity5,whille in Unity4 even for the first time going outside,loading time was less than 15 sec.

Now,about fps: INDOORS : Unity4 - from 4 to 6 fps (low graphical setting)

Unity5 - from 6-9 fps(low graphical setting)

OUTDOORS : Unity4 - from 8-12 fps(low graphical setting)

Unity5 - from 11-14 fps(low graphical setting)

I play on laptop and here are my sytem informations:

Machine name: ACER-PC

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.150316-1654)

Language: Slovenian (Regional Setting: Slovenian)

System Manufacturer: Acer

System Model: Aspire E1-531

BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 03.71.48V1.07

Processor: Intel® Celeron® CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.7GHz

Memory: 6144MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 5980MB RAM

Page File: 3513MB used, 8445MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: Intel® HD Graphics

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type: Intel® HD Graphics Family

DAC type: Internal

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0106&SUBSYS_06491025&REV_09

Display Memory: 1760 MB

Dedicated Memory: 128 MB

Shared Memory: 1632 MB

Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: unknown

Monitor Id: AUO26EC

Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (60.014Hz)

Output Type: Internal

Driver Name: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumd32,igd10umd32,igd10umd32

Driver File Version: 8.15.0010.2653 (English)

Driver Version: 8.15.10.2653

DDI Version: 10.1

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 2/15/2012 02:47:38, 8086528 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp:

Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-4246-11CF-C879-4326A9C2C535}

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x0106

SubSys ID: 0x06491025

Revision ID: 0x0009

Driver Strong Name: oem14.inf:IntelGfx.NTamd64.6.0:iSNBM0:8.15.10.2653:pci\ven_8086&dev_0106&subsys_06491025

Rank Of Driver: 00E60001

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeWMV9_C ModeVC1_C

2015-04-18_00001.thumb.jpg.2092be9b1b0be

2015-04-18_00002.thumb.jpg.9c962d5b970d1

Graphics in my game are improved in the Unity 5 beta. Everything seems much "crisper", the sunrays falling through the windows indoors look a lot better. The carpets and curtains look better. Especially the sky outdoors looks better. Has this something to do with textures? I am now seeing a dark, overcast sky sometimes, which I didn't see before (to clarify: I did see it before, only it wasn't so dark and gloomy). The whole atmosphere is enhanced somehow.

Performance has also improved. Can't quantify yet, but definitely a higher FPS outside and inside in Pleasant Valley.

No bugs so far, and my old savegame worked fine.

• Hinterland
As I am not alowed to reply in original post from Raph about feedbacks of testing Unity5,I will feel free to post my feedback here.

First of all,I don`t know,if i am doing something wrong,as after I updated it to Unity5,I have same or more lag than with Unity4.I have now also problem with cotrast,as it can be seen on two screenshoots I posted.Loading outdoors now lasts 20sec in Unity5,whille in Unity4 even for the first time going outside,loading time was less than 15 sec.

Now,about fps: INDOORS : Unity4 - from 4 to 6 fps (low graphical setting)

Unity5 - from 6-9 fps(low graphical setting)

OUTDOORS : Unity4 - from 8-12 fps(low graphical setting)

Unity5 - from 11-14 fps(low graphical setting)

I play on laptop and here are my sytem informations:

Machine name: ACER-PC

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.150316-1654)

Language: Slovenian (Regional Setting: Slovenian)

System Manufacturer: Acer

System Model: Aspire E1-531

BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 03.71.48V1.07

Processor: Intel® Celeron® CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.7GHz

Memory: 6144MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 5980MB RAM

Page File: 3513MB used, 8445MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: Intel® HD Graphics

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type: Intel® HD Graphics Family

DAC type: Internal

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0106&SUBSYS_06491025&REV_09

Display Memory: 1760 MB

Dedicated Memory: 128 MB

Shared Memory: 1632 MB

Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: unknown

Monitor Id: AUO26EC

Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (60.014Hz)

Output Type: Internal

Driver Name: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumd32,igd10umd32,igd10umd32

Driver File Version: 8.15.0010.2653 (English)

Driver Version: 8.15.10.2653

DDI Version: 10.1

Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 2/15/2012 02:47:38, 8086528 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp:

Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-4246-11CF-C879-4326A9C2C535}

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x0106

SubSys ID: 0x06491025

Revision ID: 0x0009

Driver Strong Name: oem14.inf:IntelGfx.NTamd64.6.0:iSNBM0:8.15.10.2653:pci\ven_8086&dev_0106&subsys_06491025

Rank Of Driver: 00E60001

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeWMV9_C ModeVC1_C

This is exactly the right place to post feedback.

In terms of your performance -- you have very low frame-rates, but also your laptop is quite a bit below our minimum spec.

That said, you seem to be getting about a 30% frame-rate improvement so the update seems to be helping you.

Thank you so much for this update, my framerate is doubled to tripled - thank you thank you thank you :D

In case you only monitor this thread for feedback, I've created another thread where I linked a Unity 4 vs 5 comparison video I just made:

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=4927

It clearly shows the huge performance improvements and two graphic glitches I found, flowing snow and ghost dogs :shock: And I love the *surprise* in CH :lol:

This is exactly the right place to post feedback.

In terms of your performance -- you have very low frame-rates, but also your laptop is quite a bit below our minimum spec.

That said, you seem to be getting about a 30% frame-rate improvement so the update seems to be helping you.

Thanx for explanation,Raph.I realy appreciate that.As already ChillPlayer explained to me,my laptop is too weak,so I cannot expect high difference in improvement.

As stated by you,it seems realy like i have great improvement,based on my OS and processor as well graphic card and drivers.So,knowing my capacity now,I can give positive feedback at this test now.

I assume my results are similar to what Denyo already reported.

So far I played with the following settings and it felt quite OK, though a little stuttery from time to time.

resolution: 1280 x 800

details: medium

FOV: 85

In my attempt to put some FPS-numbers to "quite OK" I tried "Fraps" today and came up with these results for v.218 (Unity 4):

indoors: about 6-9 FPS

outdoors: about 8-11 FPS

(Here I was a little surprised by the low numbers for what it feels like in game.)

Than with v.221 (Unity 5):

indoors: about 8-11 FPS

outdoors: about 9-12 FPS

System specs (nexoc laptop):

CPU: Intel Core2 Duo P8400 (2x 2.26 GHz)

RAM: 4 GB

graphics card: GeForce 9300M GS

dedicated (graphics) memory: 256 MB

shared (graphics) memory: 1757 MB

DirectX: 10

Just for fun I then tried to increase details and see how bad the FPS drop would be. So interestingly with "high" details the game was still "playable", but of course FPS dropped: indoors to about 3-5 and outdoors about 5-8

My impression was that Unity 5 was a little better, although the numbers didn't really differ.

Summary:

In this case of playing the game at the lower end of performance scale I couldn't really feel much of the improvments with the new engine. The numbers look a little more promising though.

Only tried one place: Indoor/outdoor at Mystery Lake camp office:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Details: medium

Vsync: off

FOV: 80

Unity 4:

Indoor 32-37 fps

Outdoor 29-32 fps

Unity 5:

Indoor 32-37 fps (identical to U4)

Outdoor 60 fps (Double framerate)

Measured with Steam FPS meter

Load times going in/out approx. identical in U4/U5

System specs:

CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

RAM: 4 GB

ATI Radeon 4800 512MB

Windows 7 Pro. 32 bit

Same as before, game crashes to desktop every 10-20 map/building transitions. Long loading times when exiting buildings. I guess the game runs out of memory because I'm still running XP. If that's the case I take a break, will need to upgrade sometime in 2015 to benefit from the improvements.

Fps were never a problem because I like how the game looks on Low.

You mean that you can see a wolf through the fog from half a kilometer? I was just to report the same.

Does not work with deer and rabbits, only wolves.

There are strange visual effects, for example the glass windows of the Farmstead porch appear like flashlights through fog. The background mountains look like cardboard walls. I guess that's normal with a new engine when some settings must be tuned.

Archived