Anyone else share this mindset?

I've had this mindset since the removal of the Cougar, that the New Region, and general content introduced with the Update, wouldn't be truly experienced without the Cougar. I mean, it's front and center in the Update's art, and the new region sounds like it would perfectly fit it for the Cougar, so I've just been waiting until the Cougar is re-introduced to actually try and explore what's been released in this Update.

I'm wondering if anyone else shares this mindset, and are waiting for the Cougar to be re-introduced before continuing in the DLC?

I mean, there's even a feat dedicated to hunting down multiple Cougars, so I feel as though it's best to wait until it's introduced again, and experience it along side everything else in this update (that was almost 3 full months ago, gosh time flies.)

• Upvote 1

I'm the same way. I did explore the new region and complete the tale while the cougar was still active, but haven't had much reason to play since the cougar was removed. I've been holding off on playing Misery since the cougar is supposed to be mandatory, and I don't want to set a high score on a non-cougar playthrough. 

I saved the 2.29 version and tried playing my old saves in it, but unfortunately the cougar is removed from them if you use a save that was played on the current version. So I've basically been waiting for the cougar to come back before playing any of my survival runs, really. 

• Upvote 1

I don't mind the Cougar removal. It did not stop me from freezing in SP while I explored. Loved the cold and being on the edge of death all the time. I play with agro off so I don't want to be jumped by the cat anyway. After my recent demise in FA (too cold, too far to get out, too much condition loss and then the death stagger) I started over with a AC backpack run and a TWM summit and now just setting up some bases while waiting for the final DLC to see how base customization and the trader will work. I'm really cold which is how I like my survival challenge to be. But I did make one mistake on my new run. I chose complaining Will instead of Astrid :( I wish we could change some of the settings mid game.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I'm in the camp that thinks the cougar was a bad design and should be reworked, so I definitely don't miss it.
It's just cabin fever on steroids, which is already the lamest thing in the game (which is why I'm thankful for the feat that removed it, which is the best thing in the game!).

4 hours ago, Talavaj said:

I'm in the camp that thinks the cougar was a bad design and should be reworked, so I definitely don't miss it.
It's just cabin fever on steroids, which is already the lamest thing in the game (which is why I'm thankful for the feat that removed it, which is the best thing in the game!).

I'll take cabin fever anytime over the ridiculous sprain system...now THAT is broken... if they reduced the incidences 500% it would still be too much

• Upvote 1

On 9/4/2024 at 6:19 PM, Smellyfries said:

I'm wondering if anyone else shares this mindset, and are waiting for the Cougar to be re-introduced before continuing in the DLC?

I've recently started up a new [stalker] run, so that I can experience scurvy and do the whole tales in one go.
It means, I have "missed" the pre-redux cougar experience.
Entered Sundered Pass, and it seems Raph was not joking when describing it as the most challenging map we've encountered.
Just like I find UNpleasant Valley more fitting, Savage Pass is how it is burning into my memory as we speak.
If you are afraid, it is not challenging enough without the cougar, fear no more :) .
[just my opinion]

Edited by AdamvR
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

It's definitely made no difference to me.. my play style means I'd be lucky to ever see it unless I stumble into  its den... Regardless of that though,I'd still head off to new maps as soon as I'm prepared...and even on pilgrim you really need to be ready for sundered pass...

@AdamvR....nice nickname for  it....   Can't agree on pv though,I love the place and for me at least the weather's not as bad as some places ....

Also on names,why HUSHED river valley, that place is deafening with waterfalls .

• Upvote 2

I'd actually say no, to my knowledge the Cougar had no specific relationship with Sundered Pass and the region really doesn't need it to be threatening. Unless you were playing on a very high difficulty so the Cougar's time was 10 days or something, you wouldn't run into it while doing the Tale. SP is still cold as hell and was a solid challenge to navigate.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1