Misery Changes

Glacia

I have some time played on the new game mode, with mixed feelings but overall i think it's an amazing idea but with some unhealthy things.

I think some changes could improve the game mode drastically:

- Broken Body:

* All condition recovery disabled > Condition recovery from BBT, stims and other Condition restoration items reduced by 50%.

* Doubles all damage from all sources >  Doubles all damage but sprains.

- Rheumatic Joints:

* Sprains deals 2% condition damage and happens 50% faster >  Removed.

¿Why?

Most players agree that Misery could be much better if you actually can keep recovering condition, even if the % it's very low. The idea it's a challenge and i think trying to explore and experience all the game contents even if the death chance it's 95% it's MUCH better than reaching day 50 and die from a random sprain.

The changes are not massive, but may help the mode become more popular. If broken body changes the % recovered by items, this can make the late game very hard without needing to fully disable the condition recover.

I agree Broken Body should change at least a little. Right now, it does accomplish the goal of making death inevitable, but IMO not in a good way. It pretty much forces you into taking that ~47 day runup to set up a way for you to survive in a sedentary spot as a campfire simulator. (I would guess if someone does "conquer" Misery mode, it'll be via some crazy fishing session, like at a Mystery Lake shed)

With that said, letting players regen Condition infinitely through sleep and BBTs, even if nerfed, is too far in the opposite direction I think. At that point, infinite survival on Misery wouldn't be much of a question IMO.

I think allowing Stims, and only Stims, to regenerate Condition with Broken Body (as is the case in NOGOA's ruleset) would be a reasonable and safe change to Misery. Condition would still very much be finite, but you'd have a way to recover from one or two mistakes after Broken Body before your run is kaput. (making good use of those stims would also be a good reason to avoid the campfire simulator issue- as long as you have some stims, you can be assured you have enough breathing room to move around)

The alternative would be allowing infinite Condition regeneration again, but making it very slow to the point where 50% Condition might take a month of rest. Maybe besides just slowing it down, you'd also need to combine BBTs with sleep for it to actually work. Combined with Sour Stomach, that should create an interesting situation, because you'd need to risk the outdoors at some points during that vulnerable recovery period for food. However, this would fundamentally change Misery, even if it was very weak, so for the time being I'm not really in favor of it.