Ammo Count

ArrayKnight

I think the ammo count indicator should be triggered more often.

Currently it's possible to fire all of your bullets without knowing how many shots you have left until you fire the very last one. Then it displays 0:0.

You can get around this by checking inventory, but that's really clunky.

I was thinking that it would be helpful if it showed up each time you took a shot, but that might be too much. How about if it shows up every time you try to reload (even if it's not possible)?

I think the condition and state of your rifle (including how much ammo it has) should be something the game expects you to remember. However if you do forget (maybe walk away from the game for a bit or something), forcing some very minor proactive actions on the player's part seems like a reasonable compromise.

If it were my choice, I'd make the player unload the ammo back into the inventory, look at the number of rounds there and then reload. It would simulate you losing count in real life, emptying the rounds from the mag and chamber into your hands, counting them and then reloading.

Guest Alan Lawrance

The unload ammo back to inventory is a really good idea -- the current ammo overlay feels a bit forced, and works against the goals of a minimalist HUD.

I can imagine scenarios where the player isn't quite sure if they have another round in their weapon, and it's a life or death decision on whether to take the shot or run.

Archived