The Ravine

FoneBoneJay

I like the Ravine. The new Ravine feels even more dangerous and unnerving, also makes the whole world seem much larger with the extra area and goodies. travel between the two now is much more lengthy which I think is good but makes for lots more one way action I think.

In simple terms, before I could make the trip or 2 trips in a day to get all my gear or 75-90% of it, the real valuable stuff, now I simply can't take some stuff, maybe only make a general full day trip pack out.

Also love the cave in the ravine where you can warm up. Great addition!

Good job on this Hinterland!

I think the new Ravine is beautiful (really like the addition of birch trees!) and adds to the feel that you are covering a significant distance between major areas. However, I also feel like maybe it has too many items & resources. Moving between maps, I think, ought to feel somewhat like a necessity and like a dangerous undertaking - you are moving on for the sake of survival. A transition zone full of goodies seems to counter that feeling. If it were stark and mostly bare of resources, it would give more of a "I'm praying the grass is greener on the other side" sort of vibe.

I have from the Ravine feeling, that there were some survivors from the crash, but they don't made it far enough. I don't know, what difficulty you have, but I got in Stalker only a little bit of food and one jerry can.

I didn't find much there, either.^^

Almost nothing except cattails, lichen and mushrooms, if I remember correctly. I believe there was a single can of soda within the cave, but nothing particularly useful. Probably another case of item abundance in Pilgrim or Voyageur. ;)

Anyway, I really like the new Ravine very much. It's both beautiful and interesting to explore - and its vastness finally makes travelling between Ml and CH more exceptional for me.

Anyway, I really like the new Ravine very much. It's both beautiful and interesting to explore - and its vastness finally makes travelling between Ml and CH more exceptional for me.

And that sound of creeking bridge. I have feeling, that one day it must crumble under me and 45 kilograms of items I'm hauling to the other side :)

And that sound of creeking bridge. I have feeling, that one day it must crumble under me and 45 kilograms of items I'm hauling to the other side :)

And yet it used to carry trains fully loaded with lumber... I always found it a bit strange that a bridge designed to carry the weight of such trains would creak because a person is walking over it.

It does add to the atmosphere though.

Playing in Voyageur I entered the Ravine for the first time and managed to go from 80% health to about 15% (freezing and starving) between one end and the other. Some other time I might like to explore it a bit further, but today I was very focused on getting to the next region.

I also left most of my crafting resources at the hydro dam, because the last time I followed those tracks I went straight to Coast Highway. Not sure yet if I'm going to try to go back, or hope I can replenish my stocks.

I do like The Ravine as a mini-region, but it really does make me rethink leaving caches in each region, or returning to a played region at all within one game.

And yet it used to carry trains fully loaded with lumber... I always found it a bit strange that a bridge designed to carry the weight of such trains would creak because a person is walking over it.

It carried fully loaded trains when it was intact. Now that it is broken, that rail might be held up with one spike. You aren't necessarily hearing the rail bend, you might be hearing it resonate as it rubs against wood or metal.

Eighteen days, recovered from falling below 5% condition, headed back to Mystery Lake through The Ravine, then got ambitious and decided to see if there was anything "hiding" under the rail car at the end of the tree bridge.

There is. A ledge you can't get off of. Darn.

It carried fully loaded trains when it was intact. Now that it is broken, that rail might be held up with one spike. You aren't necessarily hearing the rail bend, you might be hearing it resonate as it rubs against wood or metal.

Yet the bridge (sometimes) creaks when I'm almost at the other end. Also, it doesn't sound like the rail bending, or the rail rubbing against something, it sounds like wood (or a wooden construction) being put under stress (from the weight of something moving on it).

Like I said, I wouldn't expect a bridge that is designed to carry loaded trains to experience so much stress from me walking on it that it would creak. Not saying that wouldn't happen IRL, just saying I wouldn't expect it. And you're right, the damage to the bridge could be of an influence here, but I still wouldn't expect it when I'm half the bridges length away from the damaged part.

Large structures are prone to all kinds of movement, from wind effects to the structure settling to the wood reacting to temperature. It is a surprise, but a delightful one that (as stated) really helps set the atmosphere and shows how much craftsmanship and attention to detail goes into the game.

Now how much wood can I harvest from it before it falls down?

I don't see the "Ravine" or the "Abandoned Mine" as mini-zone or connector zones. I just see them as small zones. Maybe they will be expanded more later... maybe not. But to take something that was essentially fast travel and expand the survival experience for the player I see as a win/win. Could you kill yourself? Sure. When would that be anything new in TLD?

Again, +1 to the devs on the zones. I see these as a very interesting opportunity of expanding other areas in the game. I can't wait to see what other zones the devs open up for survival.

Archived