Attack option for wolf fighting

MrNicoras

One problem I've consistently found while playing Voyager level is the rifle can be remarkably hard to find. On more than one occasion, including my current run-through, I will go for two weeks without finding the rifle. This makes dealing with wolves difficult, since my only choice is fighting them by hand.

Here is a scenario I have seen time and again: I chase a deer over to a wolf, distracting it so that I won't get attacked. I can then sneak up to right behind the wolf while it's eating. Currently, my only options are: throw a flare (if I'm lucky enough to have one) and maybe scare it away, or get in a fight with the wolf. Under the current mechanics, I am able to get into position to pull off a sneak attack on the wolf. Sadly, I don't have the option to do so.

If I'm going to have to fight a wolf by hand, it would be nice to have the option to get the first strike in (under the right circumstances), rather than have defense as my only option.

It is kind of bullshit isnt it. I mean in Stalker I've never gone more than 2 days without fininding a rifle. But if you take the "road less traveled" they screw you in other ways. So it really isn't that much less difficult, just less of a specific wolf menace which still becomes the same thing.

I am honestly beginning to think that game isn't for me. It is all about the wolves now. I don't know if they have run out of other ideas or simply want to take the path to least development resistance but I for one am just sick of every day death by wolf. Couple that with these patch "improvements" which break things or make it asinine picking up stuff in the world because you have to click fest though menus of stupid acknowledgement. Like how many times to I need to be educated on what I am picking up? NEVER PAST THE FIRST TIME! is the answer.

What about FEATURES? We want additional ways of creating the necessities of fire, which in turn makes water, and safe food, what about weapons? I mean FFS sure give us wolves and bears and werewolves, give me a fucking re-incarnated dinosaur that blew in from the magnetic storm but let me at least craft a spear or a bow and arrow, let me defend myself in some way that isnt a carpal tunnel inducing click fest. Let me pick up objects which are going to induce carpal tunnel either. I mean seriously 3 clicks to pick up one item. Have you guys even developed for the PC before? Try making 3 button pressed necessary for retrieval of every object in an XBOX game LOL. Not gonna happen.

Also what is it with these WOLVES which dodge bullets and run at me from angles? No WOLF does that, they take lead pursuit courses or run right at you, so now my best defense when already on my 2nd wolf attack on the day, unavoidable now too without an over powered flare is the standoff gunshot right, but if we miss which we will because the gun doesn't shoot where you aim it anyway and even if it did the hit boxes simply don't encompass accurate Wolf physiology means you shoot waste a bullet, fluffy still comes to bite you, then even if you have a knife if you are under 50% ur dead.

I am starting to feel frustrated after every patch and more so this one because it was waited for for what seemed like so long and while stuff "looks better" gameplay isn't substantially beneficial. Anybody know where I can get a copy of v.196 as I thought that version played the best.

Currently, my only options are: throw a flare (if I'm lucky enough to have one) and maybe scare it away, or get in a fight with the wolf.

I described two more options (campfire, escape into building) here:

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=3957&start=40

I hope you find these strategies a bit helpful. ;)

But I agree with you, in my opinion the current wolf fighting system is quite unfortunate.

(Which wouldn't be a big deal if you only had to hand-fight wolves on very rare occasions, but since V. 215 at least I personally have to hand-fight wolves more often as shooting them in self-defense became more difficult due to their new zigzag movement patterns.)

There are basically three reasons why I don't like the current fighting mini game very much:

First, and for me most importantly, smashing mouse buttons as fast as possible certainly doesn't fit into the otherwise very thought-emphasized tone of the game. I love the game for making difficult decisions, not for testing my reflexes.^^

Second, some people seem to have problems to understand the clicking mechanics. I don't know why this is (when I was attacked by wolves the first times, I panic-clicked somehow instinctively), but it's certainly a problem if people consider a wolf attack to be certain death because they don't understand how to fight at all.

Third, not everyone seems to be able to click fast enough. For whatever reasons (age/reflexes/lack of gaming mouse or whatever else influences this) some people can fend off a wolf without losing more than 30% health even while wearing starting clothes only and others lose more than 70% health to a single wolf even if fully dressed.

I don't know how to address this in particular, but taking out some speed (e.g. lowering the damage done by wolves per second plus only recognizing 2-3 mouseclicks per second) might be an interim solution until a new fighting system is developed.

This is just my 2 cent, but I honestly believe that it's probably not good for the overall game (or its reviews) if 74% of the playerbase (I take this number from the steam 5 day survival achievement global ranking) can't even survive for 5 days and quit playing because they have severe trouble with the fighting mechanics.

I haven't tried the campfire method yet, though I've seen it on the forums. And the 'ducking into a building' trick is a life saver, provided one is nearby (and provided I can get the door opened before it pounces). But while out searching for a downed deer carcass to scavenge a building is not always nearby. And I still have not run far enough backwards while being chased by a wolf for it to give up pursuit.

I have, however, seen a wolf run directly at me and then pass me by as though I wasn't even there. It must have been chasing game. This led to a fantastic adrenaline surge and was a great moment in the game. On that note, one of my favorite features of this game is the connection I - the real life player - feel with the character in the game. I feel their success with elation, and I feel the devastion of their failures and often their deaths. There are changes I hope to see made to this game - the topic of this thread among them - but I hope that dynamic never changes.

I also don't have a problem with the ferocity of a wolf attack. It's very realistic that if I get attacked by a wolf, I suffer significant damage to my character (Though I never considered that my mouse might be adding to my damage). What I actually find unrealistic is the aftermath of such an attack

I lose 50 to 70 percent of my condition, but then simply slap on a bandage, sprinkle on a little peroxide, have a snack take a drink, and a nap and I'm good as new. In reality, I would probably be laid up for days in a hospital or possibly weeks in a survival situation. My point is that the high loss of condition is a fair balance with the relative ease of recovery. Provided I have enough bandages - which is another wish list item I suggested here: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=4713

The point of this post is this: I really don't have a problem with the number of wolves. The fighting mechanics need tweaking eventually, but for an alpha version it's fine. All I want with this issue is the option, under the right circumstances, to get in a shot at an unsuspecting wolf before it attacks. It fits in fine with the current game mechanics as I have already been in position to do so more than once. I simply haven't had the option to do so.

I enjoy this game immensely. More than I thought I would. For the most part, I hope the gang at Hinterland sticks with their vision of the game. I don't necessarily want it easier, just more realistic. Keep up the good work, Devs!

I have died of exposure exactly once in this game. I have been killed by a wolf every other time. Including getting blindsided coming around a corner, on a ledge coming out of a bunker, and coming out of a plant forage timer with the wolf already on me.

The only time I have ever fought off a wolf was when I stood in the doorway of a fishing hut -- and I think the game was letting me hit the wolf while keeping the character out of reach, because it was a completely one-sided fight.

I would like more ways to fend off wolves.

Maybe having the flare (or torch) lit could keep them at bay (since animals don't like fire) and throwing it would still chase them off (but might also ruin the flare when outdoors, because it gets wet). That might give you time to retreat to a building, or the wolf might have a timer that makes it retreat or go back on patrol after X seconds (less time than a fresh flare, anyway). That might only work in Voyageur, but not in Stalker (since the wolves are supposed to be more aggressive in Stalker).

Maybe we could equip the knife or the hatchet, the way we do the rifle. Clicking the mouse with the weapon in hand makes the character wave it at the wolf. This might hold the wolf at bay, it might scare the wolf off (if it gets close enough make contact X times), and/or it might allow the character to get in "one good lick" right from the start and provide an advantage in the wolf fighting mechanic.

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY FUCKING WOLVES?

MOST RELATED AND IMPORTANT QUESTION OF ALL TIME!!!! WHY?! WHY?! WHYYYYY????!!!

(And i don't care if Canada is the only answer to that, here in Norway we have basically extinct the wolf so everytime they see something slightly larger than a chihuahua out in the wilderness of nowhere; They go viral apeshit! Rewind a century ago when we had 'plenty', they were STILL a rare sight!)

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY FUCKING WOLVES?

MOST RELATED AND IMPORTANT QUESTION OF ALL TIME!!!! WHY?! WHY?! WHYYYYY????!!!

(And i don't care if Canada is the only answer to that, here in Norway we have basically extinct the wolf so everytime they see something slightly larger than a chihuahua out in the wilderness of nowhere; They go viral apeshit! Rewind a century ago when we had 'plenty', they were STILL a rare sight!)

I think the answer is not Canada, but Video Game. And its a fair, if debatable answer. A game must sacrifice some realism to provide compelling game play. Let's keep it in perspective though-- this is still Alpha, many things are still being added and balanced.. No need to get CAPS crazy.

Archived