Odds catching rabbits

Denyo

Just want to ask...I am snaring at Trapper`s Homestad,behind that green shack and at Max Last Stand,where are areas full of rabbits.I place 5 snares at time.I was snaring for 7 in game days and checking every day two or three times.But,in those 7 days I didn`t catch a single rabbit.Wiewers of my stream can confirm that.

Now,my question is: Are those weird odds catching rabbits normal since last patch? Can it be,that you don`t catch any rabbit for wholle week(in game time)?

I have the same problem. I do have enough deer, wood and water for living about 12 days or so. I tried it on hunters last stand and on the lone cabin with just sleeping, checking, sleeping, checking... and so on. Everytime I check my traps they look like this:

image266.jpg

I Dont know why my traps get destroyed every time. I first thought you have to place them in the right angle to the rabbit-footprints but I realized that this seems not to be recognized by the game.

I just want some fur for the gloves :(. Why it must be so hard to kill some rabbits? I do have a knife and an axe. So why I couldn't kill one of this million rabbits runnung through me?

If anyone can help us out with some tricks or information about the game mechanics for this traps it would be very nice... :)

Thanks

Karadok

In real life, snares have a very low success rate, which is why you put out a LOT of them. A LOT A LOT

I personally have set up three trap lines of 8 snares apiece, all along 3 different rabbit runs. The snares were of the "twitch up" style, which tend (in my experiences) to be more "effective" than simple ground snares (the in-game snares are ground snares) due to the facts that 1) the twitch-up actually kills the rabbit when triggered, and 2) lift the dead rabbit (or whatever you get) up into the air out of the reach of most predators

Want to know how many rabbits I had after 3 days? About 4, and I considered that abnormal. If I had time, both to make more twitch-ups and to make more cordage for the snares, I probably would have set up at least 10 more. They don't take that long to check, so it is generally worth it to make as many snares as literally possible.

Note, this is why I carry 2 "Industrial Size" mousetraps (seriously, these things are HUGE) inside my backpack. 100% success rate.

I haven't done any snaring in any of my games since the update so far, haven't had a bunch of time to play, but I know before the patch I used to get rabbits in my snares about 75% of the time within 24 hours as long as I put them in places I had seen rabbits at. I don't know if they have tuned that differently since though.

Now,my question is: Are those weird odds catching rabbits normal since last patch?

I don't know whether it's a bug or intended, but my traps also seem to get triggered without actually catching rabbits most of the time. However, my snares work at least a little better than yours. I've been catching about 5 rabbits since V. 212 (using 2 traps for 15 days), which is much less than prior to the patch of course, but at least it's something.

Maybe it's a balancing issue to make fishing (an active activity that needs precious scrap metal) more worthwile than snaring (a passive activity that only needs non-limited resources).

there was a problem when the new patch 212 hit that animal carcasses would disappear once you entered a structure... which means those rabbits would get caught and then vanish when you go inside and your have a trap that had been triggered which would would need to reset. but as of v215 this has been fixed

I tried today for 5 days more setting snares.In wholle 5 days it came out total 0 of caught rabbits.So,total,I caught 0 rabbits in 11 days,so I just gave up.I will rather rely on basic gloves and basic mittens and maintain them.Challenging or not,0 rabbits in 11 days is just a waste of calories,guts and time.

If that is how it is supposed to be,it is fine for me.Just,in that case,I will kick out rabbits mittens from my clothing list,as well snares from my item list. :)

My quota at Trapper's hasn't been as bad as Denyo's - I caught one rabbit so far! Still, it has become a lot harder, and we may presume this is by design. I guess snares will become attractive when you have a lot of guts you do not need for crafting other things, and a lot of extra time. You can then set up snares and check them once every other day, and over time you will get some rabbits and eventually enough pelt for the mittens. "Rabbiting" has ceased to be a reliable food source, however. Seems to be a complementary food source now.

there was a problem when the new patch 212 hit that animal carcasses would disappear once you entered a structure... which means those rabbits would get caught and then vanish when you go inside and your have a trap that had been triggered which would would need to reset. but as of v215 this has been fixed

NOT FIXED

This is really odd. I don't get why so many of you caught no single rabbit at all. Also really doubt this is intended.

Either it's an "old savegame issue" that I'm still catching some rabbits on occasion or there is more to it.. have you seen wolves patrolling the area where you set up your snares? Maybe it depends on whether you control your snare before some wolf eats up the rabbit. I'm usually checking my traps 3-4 times a day, might be I'm sometimes just lucky and can harvest the rabbit before some hungry beast walks by and devours my catch. oO

This is really odd. I don't get why so many of you caught no single rabbit at all. Also really doubt this is intended.

Either it's an "old savegame issue" that I'm still catching some rabbits on occasion or there is more to it.. have you seen wolves patrolling the area where you set up your snares? Maybe it depends on whether you control your snare before some wolf eats up the rabbit. I'm usually checking my traps 3-4 times a day, might be I'm sometimes just lucky and can harvest the rabbit before some hungry beast walks by and devours my catch. oO

No,Scyzara...it has nothing to do with wolves.There is many of players on Steam also complaining about unable to catch rabbits,in an of three maps,in any of regions.Maybe they catch 1 of 30 or even 50 rabbits.

It is either to low setting of success catching rabbits by program,or it may be expansion of dissapearing carcasses bug.Ryan already said,that he will pass this snaring rabbits feedback to devs.

In the time I have been checking my two active rabbit glades, I have run into enough wolves and had the time to craft a second wolfskin coat. Seems to need balancing if this is the intended catch rate.

Just caught my first two rabbits since the update...

Set up 6 snares around the fallen tree near Max's and trappers, then went to search the lake. Spent the night in one of the fishing huts and when I came back to check the snares, 2 of them were triggered with rabbits in them...the other 4 were either ruined or not triggered.

So there may be some validity to the claim that carcasses can disappear when you enter a building...

So there may be some validity to the claim that carcasses can disappear when you enter a building...

Ahh, guess I finally understand it now. :idea:

I've spent quite a lot of nights in my favorite fishing hut near Jackrabbit Island in order to catch as many fish as possible during one session. (To save scrap metal because your hatchet or knife loses durability when you open the fishing holes).

The reason why I occasionally still find rabbits in my snares in the morning is probably that I'm not changing zones every night. Thanks, mellow! :)

NOT FIXED

ive been seeing persistent carcasses, the only time they disappear at least for wolves and Deer is if you strip everything off of them

It's a nice change (making caught rabbit batches more rare) from the original bunny exploit where you could line up piles of bunnies side by side...

I usually save my snares for use around the back of the house near the PV map farmhouse. Spreading about 6 snares apart [don't lump them all right next to each other - give at least a couple of yards/meters apart) will usually yield between 2-4 rabbits by morning.

That way they're handy for quick grabbing, or simply grab them on the way back from travels.

I also usually leave extra meat (I normally just carry 2-3 on me) on the back porch... cooked on one side of the porch, and raw on the other side of the porch (so I can quickly see what stock I have or need).

It's a nice change (making caught rabbit batches more rare) from the original bunny exploit where you could line up piles of bunnies side by side...

I usually save my snares for use around the back of the house near the PV map farmhouse. Spreading about 6 snares apart [don't lump them all right next to each other - give at least a couple of yards/meters apart) will usually yield between 2-4 rabbits by morning.

That way they're handy for quick grabbing, or simply grab them on the way back from travels.

I also usually leave extra meat (I normally just carry 2-3 on me) on the back porch... cooked on one side of the porch, and raw on the other side of the porch (so I can quickly see what stock I have or need).

Hey Bill long time. :)

Does the raw meat attract predators or get pillaged by the local wolf threat?

The meat does attract wolves (especially depending on which way the wind is blowing), which is why I tend to only carry small amounts at a time [just enough for travel or emergency].

If I'm still fairly close to my current base, I'll sometimes use one of the meat as a decoy if absolutely needed (and I don't plan on long distance travelling), but I usually avoid that if possible... haven't gone back to check if there was any qty gone after wolves chomped on it a bit.

I also try to avoid using up frozen carcasses early on as well -- that way they won't despawn (the original pre-dead ones) and are handy for mapping out so you always know where you can run over to in case of food emergency later. ;)

The other reason I don't like to carry much meat is weight -- I try to stock up on cat tail stalks for emergency calories if absolutely needed, and save the meat (when possible) for larger pre-sleep periods for condition recovery.

The meat does attract wolves (especially depending on which way the wind is blowing), which is why I tend to only carry small amounts at a time [just enough for travel or emergency].

If I'm still fairly close to my current base, I'll sometimes use one of the meat as a decoy if absolutely needed (and I don't plan on long distance travelling), but I usually avoid that if possible... haven't gone back to check if there was any qty gone after wolves chomped on it a bit.

I also try to avoid using up frozen carcasses early on as well -- that way they won't despawn (the original pre-dead ones) and are handy for mapping out so you always know where you can run over to in case of food emergency later. ;)

The other reason I don't like to carry much meat is weight -- I try to stock up on cat tail stalks for emergency calories if absolutely needed, and save the meat (when possible) for larger pre-sleep periods for condition recovery.

Bill you mentioned keeping meat on the porch, does this meat on the ground attract predators? Or do you have to drop it as a decoy?

All the game trails are covered and there is an absence of natural bottlenecks that would force a prey animal down a predictable path. So just scattering traps hither and yon would have a low success rate. That said, does baiting the rabbit trap help at all? In the last patch, I was dropping a rose tip and the putting the trap over it. It seemed my baited traps had a much higher success rate. I was putting 3 to 5 traps out in an area and was covering about three areas at a time.

BTW, I use to make live animal traps by fixing large mouse traps into a wooden box. I would then attach one end of a wire to the "swing arm" and the other to a hinge that would act as the door. Trap gets sprung and I get to keep trap a live animal. I NEVER had a trap spring that I did not catch an animal. Might not always be what I wanted (I caught a lot of mice

). Having a live trap would be nice option to keep rabbits at home, but then the player has to another set of mouth(s) to forage for.

Bill you mentioned keeping meat on the porch, does this meat on the ground attract predators? Or do you have to drop it as a decoy?

No, not as a decoy... I like to store it on the back porch of the farmhouse (just inside the screen door) - not sure if the cold helps, but I've found the decay rate seems to be pretty slow that way. I just set raw and cooked meat on two separate sides just so I can keep track and grab what I need quickly.

Back on Mystery Lake, I also use to store all excess meat just outside the front door (on the porch as well). Again, never really noticed placed meat attracting wildlife (I think only '4 key decoy use' might attract the following wildlife), but did find the decay was slower than when I stored meat inside.

Again though, it's also (for my play style) either a way to grab food quickly coming back to my base [without having to go through building load screens] or even grabbing a couple of pieces as I'm leaving... for the most part, I just find it works well as convenience and as a reminder to stock up as needed.

Dropping does seem to have a different affect compared to '4' decoy use.

NOTE: when harvesting meat, if there's too much to carry, I'll often harvest all but 1 lb/kg and drop whatever I can't carry beside the carcass or in a clear spot I can reach easily... Don't know if it has a different decay rate, but it's handy if I just want to grab a few quick pieces to cook at the end of a campfire life [without having to lose more time harvesting while the fire is going]

I always put out snares when I already have something else to do outside. That way I'm not just waiting on something with a low success rate. What I'll do is leave the dam (for example) and on my way to mystery lake I'll drop 4-5 of them all in different places well spaced out along the way. If I see a rabbit or two I'll drop one there and then move on. Then after a few hours (or a day or two if I sleep at the mystery lake cabins) I'll check them on the way back.

Archived