Wolf Behavior v.213

DenverDad

Hi guys. First off I love the new update - so many awesome changes. That being said I wanted to share a few things I've noticed with the new wolf AI. You may be aware of some or all of these issues but in the spirit of making The Long Dark as good as it can possibly be I'm doing my part and reporting my observations here.

1. Wolf Audio - the sounds used by the wolves (snarls, barks, growls, etc.) are looping far too frequently - specifically when a wolf has taken notice of me and is cautiously stalking me. This ruins my suspension of disbelief. When stalking a wolf may snarl - bark - snarl - growl - snarl -bark - snarl - bark (hopefully you get the idea) and it sounds a bit forced.

2. Wolf Behavior - related to item #1 above, occasionally I'll encounter a wolf that can't seem to make up their mind about how they want to interact with me. It seems believable that a wolf would either flee straight away (maybe even come back later - which they have and this is good), take a cautiously aggressive stance (stalk me) or outright charge me. What I've noticed are cases where a wolf seems caught in a loop of indecision and within the span of a few seconds experiences all three response types multiple times. This manifested itself during one encounter last night with the wolf running in circles fluctuating between snarling (wanting to charge) and yelping (wanting to flee).

Overall stalking is much more believable now when a wolf commits to it and is really unnerving. Charges are also more unsettling because they no longer run straight for you (easy shots) but weave as they charge making shooting them much more difficult.

I have a problem with the wolfs when standing in a fish hut. If the wolf is near and haven't seen me yet the sound from its paws is so trivial and irritation. The sound loop remind me of something belonging to my youth of german gapper music. Certainly not something from nature. tis tis tis tis tis tis tis tis tis.... tis tis tis tis tis tis tis tis tis REPEAT. Same repeative rhythm. Make me insane. hehehe

Second the wolfs patch finding when standing inside a hut is awful. They don't come eating you until you step outside. (Forging hard and soft wood shouldn't be a option by the way now we ad the hut only reclaimed Wood.)

When I compare wolf paws sound with german gapper Copperbot your avatar funny enough remind me of "Fist of the Northstar" (another movie like akira) hardcore raves, mental torture and darkness. This statement couldn't be more wrong regarding me.

Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music. Quotes Marcus Brigstocke.

I sure hope He sad this with irony and not because he really mean it.

Read more at http://izquotes.com/quote/213270

We are looking into the indecision of the wolf behavior.

As for the pathfinding of wolves into Huts. It's not that they are bad at finding the door. It's actually that they can't get into the door because there is no navmesh in the huts. This is because there is a 1m check from walls (to help prevent them from going in wall, though they still sometimes do) since the door is part of a wall, it goes 1m from each part of the frame and thus stops the wolf from entering the hut.

Jeremy

I am curious if the developers have any plans for changing how wolves behave when interacting with the huts? Do developers plan on allowing them into the hut? I know I've been attacked before while sleeping in a hut, how does that work with the nav mesh?

Also, in regards to wolves, I think there needs to be a way for us to finish off a bleeding out wolf rather than waiting for it to decide to engage us again, or just following it until it bleeds out. I mention this because when I went into the dam in my last game I fought fluffy, she ran away downstairs and started walking in circles in the middle of the bottom floor. I ran up to her and basically walked in circles with her for a minute or two until she decided to fight me.

I've noticed that twice i've been attacked with wolves when I had my gun out, and they used evasion tactics!! instead of charging at me, the jumped to the side so I would loose them and then attacked me so i was stuck defending myself with a rifle in hand to hand combat with them.

Since when did wolves evade?? next they'll be laying traps!!

8-)

We are looking into the indecision of the wolf behavior.

As for the pathfinding of wolves into Huts. It's not that they are bad at finding the door. It's actually that they can't get into the door because there is no navmesh in the huts. This is because there is a 1m check from walls (to help prevent them from going in wall, though they still sometimes do) since the door is part of a wall, it goes 1m from each part of the frame and thus stops the wolf from entering the hut.

Jeremy

Thank you for this explanation, Jeremy. I always wondered why they couldn't get inside "by design" although they obviously know the difference between walls and doorframe (they seem to "see" you through the door but not through the walls).^^

It's purely a cosmetical request and I know you guys have probably a lot of more important work to do right now, but maybe it would be an idea to add a chain-link door to the fishing huts at some later date. Just to give some kind of in-game explanation why the wolves can't enter.

When I stand hiding in the hut and I can hear the wolf behind and I move a bit I can hear they growling ad me and trying to get to me but cant. Only time killed by a wolf inside a hut was when I was sleeping in my bagroll. Really strange.

I don't know if this should go here, but I had fluffy spawn in the dam after I had been in there a night. I went in, gun raised, and didn't find or hear fluffy, I even went to sleep for 6 hours. After I woke up, I heard and then killed fluffy. Is this a bug, or is it intentional?

Archived