Acorn Coffee

OK so every time a fundamentally new food item is added to the game, I make a point to sample it in real life for myself. In the name of science. So with that out of the way, I have yet another science experiment to share.

Acorn Coffee.

image.thumb.jpeg.97df71f2f8e68d343de600c8398501d6.jpeg

Yeah I bought it, because I'm not about to chop up some acorns in the back 40. Who knows what all they've absorbed. Anyway this acorn coffee isn't 100% pure, it does have some seasonings added, but it's the best I can do without potentially risking my health. So here ya go.

image.thumb.jpeg.7e6aca3860497c2cfdec73e29219b31f.jpeg

But I just love that real wax seal, so I slit the bag open from the back side using a razor. I'm sorry, that wax seal is just too cool for school, I can't break it.

image.thumb.jpeg.6d11365395a96b615914b824564534c7.jpeg

And here we go, cooking the Acorn Coffee for real. And it's...actually not horrible. I would never ever describe it as "good" and I would certainly prefer nothing at all. But if I were forced to drink something, and acorn coffee was on that list of things I was forced to drink, it would not be at the bottom.

Make of that what  you will. This is the most glowing review of acorn coffee that I can give in good faith.

• Upvote 6
  • Like 1

Wow! This is a great post!

I also see myself corrected that Acorn Coffee is actually a thing:)

(until now I’ve added it to my mental list of ‘do not try what you encounter in the game irl, as it might lead to serious injury or death’) 

On 6/2/2023 at 4:02 AM, ajb1978 said:

every time a fundamentally new food item is added to the game, I make a point to sample it in real life

I wonder what else have you tried - for science?

Edited by AdamvR

On 6/6/2023 at 1:11 AM, AdamvR said:

I wonder what else have you tried - for science?

Well the one that took the most courage was canned sardines. If you completely overpower them with mustard and horseradish and eat them on crackers to mask the texture of the crunching bones, they're not horrible.

Birch bark tea was a pleasant surprise. Imagine if you dipped a spoon into a jar of maple syrup, then stirred it into a cup of hot water. That's pretty much what it tastes like--a very super faint, super watered-down syrup. It leaves a weird pink residue on the cup though so you have to wash it every time you brew another.

Reishi actually came as a powder, similar to the acorn coffee, but the powdered mushroom dissolves more completely. It also has a pretty bitter flavor, and by itself isn't anything I'd call "good". But in traditional medicine it is supposed to act as an immune booster when taken as a daily supplement, so to that end it can be dissolved into a cup of regular coffee and it masks the flavor almost completely. I haven't been sick in nearly 20 years, not even so much as a cold, so maybe there's something to it.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Stranzua said:

Adding acorns was a nice touch. 

Oh yeah my only lament is that they aren't renewable, so like all nonrenewable resources, I hardly ever use them! If they respawned like birch bark though, hooboy they'd be a regular part of my diet in-game for sure.

Just not so much in real life. I have a nearly full bag of acorn coffee substitute, and no real intention of consuming the rest.... bleh. White elephant gift I guess.

• Upvote 3

On 6/7/2023 at 1:40 PM, ajb1978 said:

Well the one that took the most courage was canned sardines. If you completely overpower them with mustard and horseradish and eat them on crackers to mask the texture of the crunching bones, they're not horrible.

I love sardines!  Forked right out of the tin.  Add a can to a salad.  Although, I need to eat them when my wife isn't around due to the smell.

I always carry a supply of them in our side-by-side for emergencies.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 3:40 PM, ajb1978 said:

If you completely overpower them with mustard and horseradish and eat them on crackers to mask the texture of the crunching bones, they're not horrible.

Which, I presume, is why they give us food poisoning so frequently… we don’t have any of those luxuries on Great Bear :D.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2023 at 8:45 AM, hozz1235 said:

I always carry a supply of them in our side-by-side for emergencies.

Having experienced them, an emergency is the only situation I would eat them in the future!

I mean I do like fish, fresh-caught anyway. Brook trout and walleye abound where I'm at. But sardines? Eeeeuuggghhhh.

EEEUUUGGGHHH. I'd rather have a vomelet MRE.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Having experienced them, an emergency is the only situation I would eat them in the future!

I mean I do like fish, fresh-caught anyway. Brook trout and walleye abound where I'm at. But sardines? Eeeeuuggghhhh.

EEEUUUGGGHHH. I'd rather have a vomelet MRE.

Different "strokes" for different folks ;)

I grew up on sardines in tomato sauce on toast, lightly grilled.

These days I go for them tinned in chili oil, again grilled on toast until the skin starts to crackle, with salt, pepper, lemon juice and parsley.  pour plenty of the oil over the bread so it crisps up under the grill, a bit like fried bread.  

On the original thread subject (nearly), I watched this last night:

• Like 1