Xbox autosave bug still ongoing - here's what I've noticed, hope this can help somehow

Hi all,

I just looked at the Xbox Build Status page, and noticed the autosave issue had been removed from Known Issues. However, I'm still experiencing it, and given the amount of Reddit posts on the subject every week, I can see I'm not the only one.
So I thought I'd post on here and share my experience with the community. I've just submitted a similarly-worded bug report.

I've played on every difficulty except Pilgrim, with both male and female characters, using a different set of perks every time - none of these factors seem to affect the bug. When I first noticed this was happening, I decided to pay extra close attention to "checkpoints", and here's what I can discern as far as repeatable patterns:
-Firstly, the game always saves while sleeping and waiting at least an hour (unless there's been a missed save point previously, and the console was not restarted, nor the game fully exited through the Xbox menu).
-Secondly, the game always saves upon getting an injury (or parasite risk, or a condition like hypothermia), unless there's been a missed save point previously, and the console was not restarted, nor the game fully exited through the Xbox menu.
-Finally... the absence of an autosave seems to be triggered by entering certain types of buildings. I've narrowed it down to Trailers, Cabins (including Trapper's once, but mostly unnamed ones), and Blackrock Prison Grounds (see below about this one). I've never had an issue with Bunkers, Houses, or big industrial buildings like Hibernia, the Main Hangar, or the Dam. The trailers seem to be the worst, but that may just be luck. And I wonder... could this bug be in some way related to the "wrong location name" bug ? It seems to be mainly cabins that are affected by this (like Draft Dodger's now being called "Fishing cabin") - not trailers, but although I haven't experienced this personally, I have heard of a teleportation bug related to trailers.

Now, about Blackrock Prison... the problem gets worse. In my main Stalker run, I've had to put the run on pause altogether, because I just cannot get the game to autosave at all while entering the prison grounds from the road (main entrance).
Since the autosave problem is still ongoing, I've found a few little workarounds to avoid losing hours of gameplay: I give myself parasite risk, try to get a sprain, or, most often, just put down my bedroll next to problematic checkpoints. I sleep an hour, then enter the location, and if the game doesn't save, I fully quit the game, restart my Xbox, and try again. So far this has always worked for me, sometimes taking 2 or 3 tries, but never more - until Blackrock.
I have reloaded and restarted probably around 40 to 50 times, and have a 100% failure to save rate. The prison grounds are just not accessible from that door. Granted, I haven't tried entering from the other side (Steam Tunnels), nor have I tried with a different character. I probably will at some point, but I feel a bit burned out at the moment.

I'd be interested to hear from other dedicated players who have also been paying close attention to when the game saves or not. Have you noticed similar things?

I'd also like to add, for any TLD devs stopping by and reading this, that even though this specific bug is highly irritating, it doesn't affect my neverending love for this game. Never have I fallen so hard for a game before. I'm glad I spent my money on TLD as well as the TFTFT update. Cheers to the team for their hard work. You've created an awesome masterpiece that is helping me through some really tough times in my life right now.

I just really hope the save bug gets fixed before any further Parts drop.

Thanks for reading, all!

:)

Eyda

• Upvote 1

I am playing on custom pilgrim and I haven't had any problems with auto saving at all... I do have the disc version though whereas I know there are more issues with the digital ones.    

Having said that I will keep an eye out, especially in trailers, and as I'm in blackrock at the moment I'll try the prison again too. 

I hope you can get it fixed ,I know it can be disheartening , especially when you love the game so much . 

• Upvote 1

On 6/1/2023 at 6:18 PM, Leeanda said:

I haven't had any problems with auto saving at all... I do have the disc version though whereas I know there are more issues with the digital ones.

That's really interesting. I didn't know there were more issues with digital... which is what I have. I play on Series S, which doesn't have a disc slot.

I guess I'll just have to avoid Blackrock for now, unless I'm specifically trying to test things.

Thanks for your reply! :)

1 minute ago, EydaWolfsbane said:

That's really interesting. I didn't know there were more issues with digital... which is what I have. I play on Series S, which doesn't have a disc slot.

I guess I'll just have to avoid Blackrock for now, unless I'm specifically trying to test things.

Thanks for your reply! :)

I do have a few downloaded games on my old Xbox one s and they all have more issues than the discs.  

I also noticed this morning  while in BlackRock that it didn't autosave in one of the trailers either.    Whether it's just that map I don't know but I'll keep an eye on it . And file a ticket..  

I was really hoping the save issues were gone for us ..

Thanks for posting! We'll look into this. 

On 6/1/2023 at 9:00 AM, EydaWolfsbane said:

Hi all,

I just looked at the Xbox Build Status page, and noticed the autosave issue had been removed from Known Issues. However, I'm still experiencing it, and given the amount of Reddit posts on the subject every week, I can see I'm not the only one.
So I thought I'd post on here and share my experience with the community. I've just submitted a similarly-worded bug report.

I've played on every difficulty except Pilgrim, with both male and female characters, using a different set of perks every time - none of these factors seem to affect the bug. When I first noticed this was happening, I decided to pay extra close attention to "checkpoints", and here's what I can discern as far as repeatable patterns:
-Firstly, the game always saves while sleeping and waiting at least an hour (unless there's been a missed save point previously, and the console was not restarted, nor the game fully exited through the Xbox menu).
-Secondly, the game always saves upon getting an injury (or parasite risk, or a condition like hypothermia), unless there's been a missed save point previously, and the console was not restarted, nor the game fully exited through the Xbox menu.
-Finally... the absence of an autosave seems to be triggered by entering certain types of buildings. I've narrowed it down to Trailers, Cabins (including Trapper's once, but mostly unnamed ones), and Blackrock Prison Grounds (see below about this one). I've never had an issue with Bunkers, Houses, or big industrial buildings like Hibernia, the Main Hangar, or the Dam. The trailers seem to be the worst, but that may just be luck. And I wonder... could this bug be in some way related to the "wrong location name" bug ? It seems to be mainly cabins that are affected by this (like Draft Dodger's now being called "Fishing cabin") - not trailers, but although I haven't experienced this personally, I have heard of a teleportation bug related to trailers.

Now, about Blackrock Prison... the problem gets worse. In my main Stalker run, I've had to put the run on pause altogether, because I just cannot get the game to autosave at all while entering the prison grounds from the road (main entrance).
Since the autosave problem is still ongoing, I've found a few little workarounds to avoid losing hours of gameplay: I give myself parasite risk, try to get a sprain, or, most often, just put down my bedroll next to problematic checkpoints. I sleep an hour, then enter the location, and if the game doesn't save, I fully quit the game, restart my Xbox, and try again. So far this has always worked for me, sometimes taking 2 or 3 tries, but never more - until Blackrock.
I have reloaded and restarted probably around 40 to 50 times, and have a 100% failure to save rate. The prison grounds are just not accessible from that door. Granted, I haven't tried entering from the other side (Steam Tunnels), nor have I tried with a different character. I probably will at some point, but I feel a bit burned out at the moment.

I'd be interested to hear from other dedicated players who have also been paying close attention to when the game saves or not. Have you noticed similar things?

I'd also like to add, for any TLD devs stopping by and reading this, that even though this specific bug is highly irritating, it doesn't affect my neverending love for this game. Never have I fallen so hard for a game before. I'm glad I spent my money on TLD as well as the TFTFT update. Cheers to the team for their hard work. You've created an awesome masterpiece that is helping me through some really tough times in my life right now.

I just really hope the save bug gets fixed before any further Parts drop.

Thanks for reading, all!

:)

Eyda

Can you please confirm that you filed a new ticket on this issue? We'll follow up via direct message to confirm some details. Thank you, again! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

HI, I'd like to follow up on this, in case anyone reads this and avoids Blackrock because of it:

As it turns out, the Blackrock prison gate is not supposed to be a save point. It's just a transition, like going from Broken Railroad to the Far Range tunnel: you'd think it would save the game, because you're going from exterior to interior, but it doesn't.

I've successfully reloaded a save from within prison grounds after going through the main gate, plopping my bedroll down, and sleeping.

That's all!