Snowflakes in Hell: Bleak Inlet on Interloper

conanjaguar

Go to Bleak Inlet, they said. It will be fun, they said.

Oh, Conan, king of fools, why are you doing this? I start way too many challenges. There’s the Neo-Native, the Kegstand, and yes, even Deadman, not to mention a vanilla stalker run that’s set to break my all-time survival reocrd.

I suppose it could be undiagnosed ADHD, but I prefer to repeat my firmly-held conviction that variety is the spice of life, and I like it spicy!

Bleak Inlet, is, in a word: HELL. It has everything: high winds, thin ice, and did I mention those bloody wolves? It should rightly be the crown jewel of every snowballer…

Except for one thing… I don’t even have a snowball’s chance in hell for this challenge. More like a snowflake.

Objectives:

• Survive for 20 days. 50 days is absolutely impossible, as I see it.
  • Test out the new beachcombing mechanics. I want to get some of those goodies for myself.
  • Get in and out of the cannery without dying. This alone should be enough to make me feel like the king of survival.
  • Upvote 2

Snowflake 1 / Day 1

I spawn at noon, in clear weather. It is a frigid -34C, and have absolutely no clue where I am or what I’m doing here. The sheer stupidity and recklessness of what I am actually attempting hits me full force.

Trying to get my bearing, I turn around. There are some mushrooms and sticks laying around, so I grab them.I check a riverbed nearby for five cattails. Good stuff; food is going to be VERY strictly rationed. I crest a small hill, and… Gloria Patri et Filiis et Spiritui Sancto! There is a cabin not too far away.

I make my way to it, noting that there about 20(!) branches laying around. Give me a nice, warm, foggy day and I can easily gather 100 sticks from this area alone. Inside the cabin, I find a light shell, a thin wool sweater, a can of dog food, and a granola bar. It’s still below zero inside, even with the extra clothes, so I take a short nap in the bed to warm up and save.

When I awake, I head back out… there seem to be crows not too far away, so I check them out: a doe carcass. I’ll have to wait for a foggy day to harvest her.
I break two branches and head back inside. I check the chances in the rim grill: 55%, pretty dicey, since I don’t have accelerant.

It works, and I pile on the fuel, boil water now between going outside to grab sticks and harvesting the curtains. I also prepare two Reishi teas for the road, before pulling a bunch of torches and hitting the sack.

At the end of Day 1, I’m still alive, which is longer than I expected!

(This was the only screenshot I had time to grab :D)5CB39B56-833A-4CE3-AFDA-60F715258BF7.thumb.jpeg.daacef2bc2c18a21da34326075f39255.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Started a new custom-Loper run yesterday and my random starting location was Bleak Inlet, with a pack of Timber Wolves right around the corner.

Hardest first few days I've ever had in all of my games. Just barely made it to the Farmstead in FM with about 4% condition left.

So I do not envy you and your challenge, good luck, survivor!

• Upvote 1

Snowflake 1 / Day 2

It’s not optimal, but I have to pass time for a few hours before I can even find my way to the door. I need to check my sleep schedule…

But more pressingly, I need food: one can of dog food (that’s likely going to have to be smashed open) and a granola bar isn’t even enough for a good nights sleep. So, I set out along the river bed, looking for cattails and sticks. I find a few Reishi mushrooms; in an emergency, I suppose I could get a healthy nights sleep off of teas alone. While I am counting calories in my head, I get jumpscared by a doe who runs over the crest of the hill.

A few minutes later, I get to the end of the road… literally.430F3E6B-CD9B-4247-9C2C-DCB8D026F047.thumb.jpeg.59cb398c7f54ab196a044160e2082492.jpeg I check my hypothermia and frostbite risks… yikes. They are at  54% and 67% respectively. I’m beyond the point of no return, so I push on through the wind, looking for a sheltered spot.

On my right is a bear that I have to sneak past… 0EB45927-DC62-4AC3-9974-8F7E2368642F.thumb.jpeg.74f038076581c14ed0e9c98887c15daf.jpegit stands to reason that he has a cave nearby. And indeed, there it is! It’s far from the best hiding place, but at least it’s sheltered from that awful wind, and my by-now 80% frostbite risk won’t wait.82FEB794-209E-43D6-A87E-34195535E2EF.thumb.jpeg.4108aec3ecbf65ee8bf92a96415d688d.jpeg

There is a deer inside the cave, with 0.8 kg of meat. F762BBF1-95F2-4B18-A959-4442443E434B.thumb.jpeg.48d1373cc12d0032931044a8751521ed.jpegI boil water while harvesting that… then debate for a few seconds before going ahead and grabbing the guts and pelt. If nothing else, they can be useful as bait.

An hour of sleep to save the session… and outside is a blizzard. I have about 15 sticks left, probably not enough to wait it out… so I’ll have to try my luck with the weather.

5 hours ago, Renn said:

Started a new custom-Loper run yesterday and my random starting location was Bleak Inlet, with a pack of Timber Wolves right around the corner.

Hardest first few days I've ever had in all of my games. Just barely made it to the Farmstead in FM with about 4% condition left.

Hardest first few days… and just like that, you survived longer in BI than I ever expect to :D.

• Upvote 1