Purchase Technical Backpack as DLC.

LAPIII

Just hike over to AC and get it. I gave it a try and made it there on day 4.

On the way back go to TWM summit and check, what loot is there. Bring a hacksaw along and maybe a tool kit to repair the hacksaw.
For me there was a rifle, ammunition and a bunch of lanterns, giving me 3.5 litres of fuel for the challenge.
The satchel would be at the HRV signal fire too, but this may be a bit out of one's way, though.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, mfuegemann said:

Just hike over to AC and get it. I gave it a try and made it there on day 4.

On the way back go to TWM summit and check, what loot is there. Bring a hacksaw along and maybe a tool kit to repair the hacksaw.
For me there was a rifle, ammunition and a bunch of lanterns, giving me 3.5 litres of fuel for the challenge.
The satchel would be at the HRV signal fire too, but this may be a bit out of one's way, though.

I bet if you're tactful with your resources and are willing to forego your own wellbeing and set a grueling pace, I'd imagine it's possible to obtain both the Technical Backpack and Satchel from HRV inside of a week. Although seeing as how before the inventory upgrades were implemented, you could complete the challenge in a week anyway just by looting CH, ML, and PV, it is kind of a moot point.

I'd say the main advantage to this strategy is the loot at the summit, and the ability to carry just a little bit more back down, as potential crap RNG on a rifle spawn has the potential to hold up the show.

6 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I bet if you're tactful with your resources and are willing to forego your own wellbeing and set a grueling pace, I'd imagine it's possible to obtain both the Technical Backpack and Satchel from HRV inside of a week. Although seeing as how before the inventory upgrades were implemented, you could complete the challenge in a week anyway just by looting CH, ML, and PV, it is kind of a moot point.

I'd say the main advantage to this strategy is the loot at the summit, and the ability to carry just a little bit more back down, as potential crap RNG on a rifle spawn has the potential to hold up the show.

Yes, these were my thoughts too. The backpack challenge took me 10 days, compared to my previous 8 day run without going for the backpack.
The main point was getting the rifle. Food can be easily optained by killing the wolfs around the garage. And strolling around CH, top notch clothing is not necessary, either.

What I do like about the loot changes is, that the flare gun and shells are more rare now. This makes passing bears and elks more thrilling.

• 3 weeks later...