v.213: New Fire UI

Golden

First off, I'm really enjoying the latest update! Having to start over has meant I haven't gotten to experiencing the transition zones yet, but I'm getting there. ;)

In the meantime, I just had some points I wanted to bring out regarding the new fire UI.

Overall the UI feels massive. It took me a bit to notice the action button (add fuel/heat up/melt) was in the lower right corner of the screen - very far away from everything else. It feels a bit weird having to go all the way down there when the rest of the settings are far left.

Maybe the inventory UI could be readjusted to work in this context as well?

There seems to be no way to know how your fire is doing while you're melting/boiling/cooking. Since the time it takes to perform such tasks isn't shown anywhere, I'm left hoping that the fire doesn't die out.

This was a problem in the old UI too, but without a precise clock to show the passing of time it's now worse than ever.

Could we maybe have the lifespan of our fire visible while cooking is taking place? Or at least an indication of how long the action is going to take?

As an additional sidenote, while the change in hostile spawns at the start of Voyageur is nice, I thought of something... If you make your way to the dam within the 18-36 hours, you're able to completely skip dealing with Fluffy. Any chance of Fluffy getting a special treatment? :D

I don't know why exactly I hate it, but one thing is that it pushes your perspective away from the fire, while the old way it worked did not change your perspective. I don't mind that so much during crafting which is another place where that happens, but it is an adjustment. As for fires, without a clock now I'm not sure how much wood to add to keep the fire going, I really need more time with it to be sure, but my first instinct is I do not like this change.

I do like the overall flexibility in terms of what to add to the fire, the selection arrows, but the whole perspective change and unknowns on time I do not like so far.

I also feel like this part wasn't broken, meanwhile lack of water containers and foraged snow, is totally absent and by my thinking broken. Call it tedious if you want, but we can now interact with a very impressive without the logic underpinning the mechanics.

As for fires, without a clock now I'm not sure how much wood to add to keep the fire going, I really need more time with it to be sure, but my first instinct is I do not like this change.

Isn't there a fire duration displayed in your UI? oO'

I can still see how long a fire is going to last (icon in the bottom left corner).

You're not explicitly told how long it takes to cook something, but you can simply try that out (e.g. it always takes 20 minutes to cook 1 piece of meat).

screen_263b27cb-917a-4089-ab00-87fa8465b

As for fires, without a clock now I'm not sure how much wood to add to keep the fire going, I really need more time with it to be sure, but my first instinct is I do not like this change.

Isn't there a fire duration displayed in your UI? oO'

I can still see how long a fire is going to last (icon in the bottom left corner).

You're not explicitly told how long it takes to cook something, but you can simply try that out (e.g. it always takes 20 minutes to cook 1 piece of meat).

I stand corrected, not sure if there wasn't one, or maybe it was updated, or I just missed it, What does the fire meter mean? Higher flames mean more heat? What does that mean? Is it just a timer sort of? I don't understand the graphic.

I stand corrected, not sure if there wasn't one, or maybe it was updated, or I just missed it, What does the fire meter mean? Higher flames mean more heat? What does that mean? Is it just a timer sort of? I don't understand the graphic.

It looks like graphical representation of the duration and strength of the fire.

It's just a timer, I guess. There's nothing particularly difficult to understand about it. ;)

The more the icon is filled, the longer the remaining fire duration. The icon is completely filled for 2h+ durations.

Takes a while to get used to it, but I like the new cooking UI very much now. :)

screen_c82c9aaf-7ee8-423f-8fd1-7aedc25ea

screen_f1bcb9b7-e424-4050-975a-ca6d9cb4e

As an additional sidenote, while the change in hostile spawns at the start of Voyageur is nice, I thought of something... If you make your way to the dam within the 18-36 hours, you're able to completely skip dealing with Fluffy. Any chance of Fluffy getting a special treatment? :D

Nope, in fact, if you get to the dam before fluffy, he can spawn in the dam with you still in it. It scared me because I thought the dam was empty, but fluffy just hadn't shown up yet.

Takes a while to get used to it, but I like the new cooking UI very much now. :)

The one problem I have with it is trying to reach the bottom of the list where coffee is, under all the raw food, it takes 2 seconds too long. But that's a very 1st world problem that doesn't need to get fixed.

Nope, in fact, if you get to the dam before fluffy, he can spawn in the dam with you still in it. It scared me because I thought the dam was empty, but fluffy just hadn't shown up yet.

Haha yeah, I thought as much. That's exactly why I ended up risking everything by heading towards Coastal Highway while halfway tired and with a couple more hours of daylight left - I didn't want to risk waking up to Fluffy mauling my face off. I did make it to the coast in the end, although it was a close call... The new transition zone was a lot longer than what I'd expected and I couldn't find any shelter from the blizzard that decided to pay me a visit.

My opinion still stands though, you can easily bypass Fluffy completely if you pay a visit to the dam during the first day and leave as soon as possible.

I like the new fire UI, but one thing I don't like so much is that it always defaults to the "add fuel" screen. If I've started a fire and placed 11 cedar logs on it and exit to get some meat to cook, I will apparently first duck down to check the fire before going to the top of the stove to do my cooking. The same happens when I go get my next batch. In this situation the shifting of the camera is very annoying.

Archived