Lost bear meat again...

So I was up at the Trapper's Cabin hunting a bear after pacing off the distance from the Camp Office for another post. I shot the bear, but did not kill him. He ran at me so I went into the cabin, ate, drank, slept. Came back out, hit wait, he was suddenly very close so I ran like a sheep back into safety. Next day, I go out and do the same, he is close, but not as close, so I get a good shot at his head and down goes Mr. Bear! It is starting to get foggy so I run down, grab the pelt and as much meat as I could cut in an hour. Head back to cabin cuz it is like pea soup out. Putter around the cabin, cooking that bear and water, waiting for it to clear. After 4+ hours or so, I pop out of the cabin and it is crystal clear so run over to get that meat and guts...and cannot interact with the corpse. I took a video, which I will post, but I need to edit it as it has my desktop and stuff like that because it was the first time I have tried to capture TLD on video and was struggling a little. Anyhow, this same thing happened to me a while back in PV at the Farmhouse...need to read and review the post but I think weather also chased me off the bear for some period of time and when I returned I could not interact with it...

Edited by TonyInPleasantValley
Added video

Hmmm...about an hour later, I am heading from Camp Office out onto the lake and I see two wolves patrolling in my direct route. I crouch in the cat tails, one approaches in range, and I shoot him with an arrow, dropping him instantly. I wait a few minutes and the other approaches in range, shoot, but he runs. I harvested the first wolf, drop him at the Office, and see crows near the tracks. Walk over and there is my other victim. Pick up my arrow and ... cannot interact with the wolf. Lots of wasted resources on this trip!!

It's a fairly common bug right now.  You can interact with the carcass after throwing something at it.  Try bouncing a stone or lit torch off the carcass.  Sometimes you have to be quick and click the carcass when the prompt appears.  Moving away and back can reset it and you have to throw something at it again.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Upvote 2

Oooh, nice tip. Unfortunately I am several regions away from both carcasses to try this tip, but I certainly will keep it in the back of my mind next time it happens. It has only happened to me one other time, and I have almost 3000 hours (real time) in the game. Twice in an hour is definitely a sign of a new bug! Thanks for the tip!

11 minutes ago, TonyInPleasantValley said:

Oooh, nice tip. Unfortunately I am several regions away from both carcasses to try this tip, but I certainly will keep it in the back of my mind next time it happens. It has only happened to me one other time, and I have almost 3000 hours (real time) in the game. Twice in an hour is definitely a sign of a new bug! Thanks for the tip!

You've done 3000 hours since the last update???    

• Upvote 1

OK this is getting ridiculous!  Happened again with a Timber Wolf in BI and just now with another bear in BI.  I was able to use the stone trick (FINALLY found a dang stone in BI!!) on the bear. See video for how that works. Only works for a second so get what you can or toss the stone again. Guess this just means I always keep a rock in my pocket until this bug is squashed. Thanks again @MrWolffor the workaround!!

I’ve read somewhere that if you throw a lit torch on it, you can harvest it while it stays on it, so you do not have to run to catch the right second, like with a stone. By starting a fire next to it, you can easily source the needed torches…, also helps against cold and wolves + you can already cook the first slices … that’s my usual strategy at least:)

I think the throwing rock or torch at the carcass could fit into "sanity check". You know, you are alone on the island for hundreds of days. Suddenly you start slipping. You cannot be sure that what you see is there. So take a stone and throw it at the object. If it is still there, it is a thing. If your stone goes through and hits the ground... Sorry, but your mind is playing games.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Had this problem with the pv farm bear.  Had to stop harvesting due to a blizzard,as usual😁, went back out after and walked right through it. Threw the lit torch and it worked..  the meat was in very bad condition though but pv blizzards are very long sometimes.