Lost interest somewhat

hozz1235

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I feel like, some time after Part 1 was released and we could not use prior saves, I haven't had as much interest in playing.  Sure, there was a peak of activity when Part 1 was first released and Part 2, but once that content was explored, I found myself looking through my Steam library for other games to play (Divinity:  OS2 currently).  I can't really put my finger on anything specific...

Anyone else?

• Upvote 2

I'm not losing interest but I am struggling to keep this run going.. it's only around day 60.. but it's because I've spent the  last few months restarting every few weeks to pass the time until the  update.  Knowing I was going to lose my old saves made doing anything else a bit pointless. 

I think I've got itchy feet syndrome 🙂

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 2

Everything has an end. Sometimes this works for us, sometimes against.

Fortunately, we live in sort of a golden age of gaming, where more new and interesting titles are available than ever before. I remember the old way of finding games - scouring discount bins, hoping to find some developer who understood what I was looking for. Like how I discovered Westwood Studios, and Paradox Interactive. TLD will still be here when you feel like coming back again. : )

• Upvote 2

@hozz1235This happens to me from time to time with this game. I will put it down for weeks or months and not think about it, then decide to give it a quick go and end up playing for months. I kind of lost interest before they announced the DLC and probably didn't play for 4-6 months. But once I heard they were adding new stuff, I started playing. When the save game change occurred, I started my current run and am around 450 days in (game time, not IRL). I savored the challenge of the update, and once it was over I started finding it hard to motivate myself to get to 500 days, which is a goal of this run. I have been able to do a lot of things this run I have never done before, so it has been a blast, but like you I am feeling a little blah about the game the last few days. What is different about TLD is I will come back to it, which I rarely do with other games. Played Hogwarts for few weeks, got bored, and have not gone back. Started playing Assassin's Creed and didn't make it very far at all before deciding to keep looking for something else to do in my game time.

Not sure what the roadmap for the next update is, but hoping that happens sooner than later to get me back in the saddle...

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

I suppose it happens with anything in life... you eventually get bored and move on to do new things.

I usually get bored of offline games after a few hours of playing (maximum of 10 hours), The Long Dark, on the other hand, is a different story to me... I've played this game more than 2000 hours in the last 2 years, followed by Horizon FW which i've played for around 200 hours.

Survival is my favorite genre and from the moment I discovered TLD, i've been playing it... sure sometimes I get bored, but after just a few days, my survival instincts kick in and make me wanna play again!

I suppose purpose is what players seek in any kind of game, and once that purpose no longer exists, you tend to get bored...

Nothing in life has ever hooked me like TLD has... it simply is a perfect and extraordinary game which never fails to amaze me whether I'm at day 1 of my run, or day 100. I still keep finding new purposes in the game...

There are still a lot of regions i have decided to not visit yet. I guess I wanted to keep some of the mystery alive.

I'm really looking forward to Safe House customization and cougar, which I believe are excellent late-game objectives.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Amir

"Nothing in life has ever hooked me like TLD has... "

hozz1235

"I haven't had as much interest in playing. "

I agree with both feelings.  I have found many bugs and irritating features in the latest releases.  I have been hesitant to complain as there are so many and some might be related to my hardware, altough such issues didn't bother me in the standard TLD.

I find that many interiors, rooms and caves to be very dark.  This was a problem we had in TLD years ago and was slowly cleared up.  Have the problems returned, or is it my system.  It makes the game a drag when I can't see things in a room.  I have started using the House Lighting Mod to compensate, just so that I can see my way around, not as a cheat.

In the past couple of days I have been trying out acorn coffee.  What an utter waste of time, or have a missed some benefit that it gives?

I could go on and on with details of bugs I am encountering but, as hozz1235 says, "I haven't had as much interest in playing. " or reporting the bugs.

I wish HTL had finished off Episode 5 with the original format before launching the DLC.

Edited by peteloud
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

we could not use prior saves

We still can continue those, only the new content won’t be there (at least on steam). I still have a lady waiting to celebrate her 500’s day there + actually loaded up one of the time capsules after finding a ‘new’ stash in the whale processing plant, to see if I missed it before or was indeed new (turned out it was not new, at all:)) 

I’m still into exploring all the new stuff, just spent 100 consecutive  days in FA, and still haven’t been to Blackrock. I do take a couple months ‘breaks’ every here and then, mostly as I have busier periods irl, and cannot always afford to binge play… but always great to come back, always looking forward to it. (I just entered BI and was at the door with aurora when I realized I forgot that I need to come from the other direction first… completely forgot about that) So every rekindling always brings something new and new-again feelings 😉

13 hours ago, Amir said:

Nothing in life has ever hooked me like TLD has... it simply is a perfect and extraordinary game which never fails to amaze me whether I'm at day 1 of my run, or day 100. I still keep finding new purposes in the game...

I envy that feeling of "newness".  This is why I get so excited about new content (especially new zones).  I have over 2,000 hours of time in TLD so it definitely has it's allure!

@AdamvR, I do understand I can play the prior saves but that has also lost it's allure due to the fact that anything I do there is "stagnant" - meaning, I will never play any newer content there.

@peteloud, I know you're a long-time player and supporter.  Hopefully we will get back into TLD as we once were. 

But then again, there are 2 HUGE games coming out in Aug/Sep which will take me away from TLD for a longgg time.  Any guess what those games are? ;)

• Upvote 1

Always happens, not just with TLD.

TLD it's the kind of game that you can revisit at any point and do what you want, without pressure. It's very different for other games seek look for a more permanent player base (MMO's, Mobas, and so on).

I have losted the interest on this game many times, sometimes because the life, playing other games or just being bored with the game after playing non-stop for weeks. Then i come back and enjoy the game again :x

• Upvote 1

I never play as much after the snow melts away here. Which is what happened last weekend. Although there's still a small pile of snow near our front door, which I call the Beer Garden, which is where I put my beers when I'm mucking about outside. I think even the beer garden will stop blooming by this weekend.

I read much more than I game in the spring/summer.

• Upvote 2

I first played The Long Dark in January 2018 and I bought the game because of story mode from watching the trailer on the PlayStation store. I played the first two stories and after I was finished I played survival mode for about an hour and died so thought nope too hard I'll just play the other story episode's when they come out.

In the meantime there were updates to survival mode with new maps but I never played the game as I wasn't interested in survival mode and was waiting on the other stories to be released. I never played the game again until episode three was released in late 2019 and I enjoyed that story, after I was finished I went back and re-played episode one and two re-dux to see what was different from when I first played the original versions.

In the original episode two I learned how to get birch bark and rose hips, cat tails and old man's beard lichen from Jeremiah which was helpful as I didn't even know what old man's beard lichen was and I just thought that was part of the tree hanging down like the trees you see in New Orleans, that part of the story was now no longer a mission.

I liked having to hunt the bear in Mystery Lake in the original story rather than what happens now in the re-dux and I have fond memory's of looking for the bear in Mystery Lake and shooting him before he runs off again.

All that said, after I finished episode three and played the re dux of episode one and two I decided to give survival mode another go as I knew my way around Pleasant Valley from the story as well Milton and I really got into survival mode, I played in Pilgrim as I wanted to enjoy exploring the maps without having to worry or get annoyed about wolfs or a bear attacking and killing me.

I never planed either to platinum the game but I did in the end and did all the challenges and its the only game I keep coming back to. Before the update I had a save with over 600 days and at the minute in my new run I have over 100 days but its Pilgrim. I really like survival mode now as I know my way around most of the maps but like any game I do take breaks from The Long Dark to play other games and once I have mapped all the maps 100% again I'll park my character at Mystery Lake waiting until Perseverance Mills map is released for story mode so I can go explore it and I do hope it will be added free to survival mode and not hidden behind a paywall.

But I'll always keep coming back to playing The Long Dark. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/4/2023 at 4:44 PM, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

Did you mean Stranded; Alien Dawn?  It does look interesting.  I wish it was multiplayer (and I wish the same for The Long Dark some day).

Yes, thank you for the correction.

• Upvote 1

TLD is one of three games where my interest has sinusoid curve (SCUM and SnowRunner are other two). All other games had tangential curve. Peaks of my favorite games are not synced so I have some game to play every time.

• Upvote 1

Haven't lost interest, but I am taking a little break after completing the "Signal Void" challenge and exploring the new areas.  I'm actually re-playing an older, different game on Switch in anticipation of a new release (Friday!) -- but I know I'll be back on Great Bear soon :)

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2023 at 6:13 AM, twyn1 said:

Haven't lost interest, but I am taking a little break after completing the "Signal Void" challenge and exploring the new areas.  I'm actually re-playing an older, different game on Switch in anticipation of a new release (Friday!) -- but I know I'll be back on Great Bear soon :)

Zelda?

• Like 1