XBox & Play Anywhere (TFTFT)

Apologies, if this is in the wrong section, I nearly put in "Tales form the Far Territory Discussion" but thought it is a Technical question...

I predominantly play Long Dark on XBox and like many had been checking every couple of days in case the DLC was available, and on Friday was checking every couple of hours till I could buy and install Tales from the Far Territory.

However, occasionally, I need to go away for a week or so for work. So for that time I switch to my laptop PC and XBox Play Anywhere install to keep my run going (unfortunately Steam and Epic versions don't sync saves to XBox versions AFAIK).

Problem is, the XBox Store version of Long Dark for PC does not seem to have been updated, it still looks the same as before the update. I even tried saving in the Far Territory to try to trigger an update, but it didn't sync.

Will Long Dark XBox still be available on the PC via Play Anywhere?

Will this include the TFTFT DLC that we've purchased on XBox?

If so, when will it be released?

• Upvote 4

On 4/1/2023 at 11:27 PM, Captain Jamesy said:

Apologies, if this is in the wrong section, I nearly put in "Tales form the Far Territory Discussion" but thought it is a Technical question...

I predominantly play Long Dark on XBox and like many had been checking every couple of days in case the DLC was available, and on Friday was checking every couple of hours till I could buy and install Tales from the Far Territory.

However, occasionally, I need to go away for a week or so for work. So for that time I switch to my laptop PC and XBox Play Anywhere install to keep my run going (unfortunately Steam and Epic versions don't sync saves to XBox versions AFAIK).

Problem is, the XBox Store version of Long Dark for PC does not seem to have been updated, it still looks the same as before the update. I even tried saving in the Far Territory to try to trigger an update, but it didn't sync.

Thank you for reaching out. Yes, THE LONG DARK and TALES will be available via Play Anywhere. Please reach out if you have any additional questions! 

On 4/4/2023 at 8:05 PM, Admin said:

Thank you for reaching out. Yes, THE LONG DARK and TALES will be available via Play Anywhere. Please reach out if you have any additional questions! 

Thanks @Admin,
Yesterday I spotted that TFTFT is now listed on the Microsoft Store for PC.
My Microsoft Account shows TFTFT in my purchase history, however my XBox App does not show it in My Library.
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both Long Dark (2.02 installed again last night) and the XBox App, but nothing has changed.

Still can't install or play TFTFT on my PC.
I also note that the Microsoft Store page for TFTFT doesn't actually state that it is Play Anywhere, just that it's XBox One and Series X/S

On 4/4/2023 at 9:05 PM, Admin said:

Good to know! When will it be available?

There's another thread with several people who are still not able to play TFTFT, it looks like this is the case for everyone playing on PC via the Xbox app so that must be many people worldwide, would be great to get some clarification!   

On 4/2/2023 at 2:27 AM, Captain Jamesy said:

Hey bud, I had the same issue that you did. The only way that it will show up is if you go to Microsoft dot com on a web browser. then search The Long Dark. When the drop down selection can be seen, you will see TWO TFTFT. The first one is Xbox and the second one says compatible for PC. The pc one is the one you need to buy.

You need to first go to the page where you can request a refund on the current one you have and then after they review it for the reason, they will issue a refund for the DLC. You then can go buy the PC compatible one.

(FOR XBOX APP ON PC USERS ONLY) After doing some digging on this problem, I noticed that other games as well have the same issue. The main issue that I found out is that the developer of the game has NOT allowed the update to commence. It is on 2.02 and will stay that way until they enable it to be changed.

With Easter Sunday last weekend, and for the obvious reason (because they are office people) they most likely took the entire week off for vacation, probably why they are not responding. But I am about ready to just as for a refund and find another game. I am NOT redoing 1000 fires for the fire badge on Steam.

Aa TLD.png

Hopefully they'll respond soon, I see that Admin posted 2 days ago in the Known Issues topic, I wonder if they ever read this and are aware. At least a message that they're working on it, or will respond soon, would make a big difference, now it feels a bit like being ignored..

Btw I wonder how many gamers use the Xbox app on PC, not specifically for TLD but in general, compared to e.g. Steam or Xbox console. Anyone have any data?

I have the same issue and the lack of answers from Hinterland on the subject is utterly disappointing, it's been 2 week now that the DLC is out and we can't still play it on the xbox app for PC. I can't even play it on my Xbox because apparently buying it on the Xbox app for PC doesn't give you the DLC for the xbox, now I have to buy it two times?

On 4/4/2023 at 8:05 PM, Admin said:

So @Admin, by "Yes, THE LONG DARK and TALES will be available via Play Anywhere", did you actually mean "No, it won't. You'll have to buy it separately for PC"?

As @Buhblzfound:

TALES for XBox: The Long Dark: Tales from the Far Territory | Xbox

TALES for PC: Buy The Long Dark: Tales from the Far Territory | Xbox

Two separate purchases required?

50 minutes ago, Captain Jamesy said:

So @Admin, by "Yes, THE LONG DARK and TALES will be available via Play Anywhere", did you actually mean "No, it won't. You'll have to buy it separately for PC"?

As @Buhblzfound:

TALES for XBox: The Long Dark: Tales from the Far Territory | Xbox

TALES for PC: Buy The Long Dark: Tales from the Far Territory | Xbox

Two separate purchases required?

No, if your going to play on Xbox then buy the xbox version. When you turn on your xbox it will be available in your library. Now if you are useing your xbox app on PC then  you buy the PC version. 

I usually play on my XSX, but as I travel a lot, being able to play on my laptop has been a huge boon -- especially being able to play the same save file. Now, I'm experiencing the same issue. PC (Xbox app) version is stuck on 2.02.

Despite have TFTFF via my XSX, I noticed that I was still 'required' to purchase TFTFF for PC. Which I've done. I knew it was an error, but I figured purchasing the expansion via the PC app would force-update TLD. It didn't. So, I've now bought the same product twice (I've owned TLD via Xbox since probably 2017) and the features -- that are openly advertised -- don't work. Very frustrating. The devs have been fantastic over the years, but this issue -- combined with the saving bug on Xbox -- is not a good look, especially with their utter lack of communication regarding it. I would settle for literally a quick "hey, we're aware of the issue, we're sorting it out with Microsoft (which is something I'm assuming they will have to do given that there seems to be multiple 'versions' in-play, here) and it will be fixed."

• Like 1

Same here. I don't need a refund or anything, and although disappointed I could understand the repeated delays for the release as they are a small company, but just communicate clearly and honestly. Expectation management 101 ;) 

12 hours ago, Buhblz said:

No, if your going to play on Xbox then buy the xbox version. When you turn on your xbox it will be available in your library. Now if you are useing your xbox app on PC then  you buy the PC version. 

Hi @Buhblz,

That sounds reasonable, except that "Play Anywhere" means that you buy the game once and can play on 'both' XBox and PC.

As with all other Play Anywhere games and Long Dark base game.

So if they say it is Play Anywhere, then it should be one purchase to play on both.

If they want us to purchase it twice, then they shouldn't say it's Play Anywhere.

I don't really mind which, so long as they're clear about what they are offering.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Captain Jamesy said:

I don't really mind which, so long as they're clear about what they are offering.

^Agreed. I really don't care about the money. I purchased TLD back in 2017/2018... whenever it entered Microsoft's "Game Preview" program. I spent around 20 USD, I believe. Since then, I've had hundreds, if not 1-1.5 thousand hours of enjoyment. I spent 20 bucks on the expansion (something they could have been charging with every major update and I would've paid) and now I spent another 20 in the quest to get it working on PC. Spending money on the product is fine, considering I've spent $60 on much, much worse games.

Spending money on non-functioning products is not fine, and REALLY ticks me off. The deal is pretty simple; I agree to your price, I get your product as it is advertised. Obviously.

• Upvote 1

On 4/15/2023 at 2:54 AM, Buhblz said:

With Easter Sunday last weekend, and for the obvious reason (because they are office people) they most likely took the entire week off for vacation, probably why they are not responding.

Still no response, how long are Easter holidays in Canada..? :)

I am 'office people' myself but got exactly one day off for Easter ; )

Edited by PDTole

I've been having the same issues.  I've been watching the two threads on this forum as well as the reddit one, and have like others filed a support ticket without answer.  Its strange to me how admins have not addressed any of us about our core issues with Xbox on PC not updating.  It also is strange that no-one seems to have heard anything back on their support tickets.  I now am beginning to wish I didn't purchase this game.  @Admin please let us know what's going on.  Even to have the issue acknowledged without a hard answer would mean so much more than silence.   

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, Francious70 said:

Bump again. Any news on when the base game update will be released on Windows Store?

I haven't herd anything at all. The admin wont say anything to these posts but they will respond to working systems instead. They will not respond to any of my multiple tickets that I opened and sent to them. 2 weeks now and it feels like they just took our money and abandoned us completely. I'm about to write this game off for good soon. To me, I understand that changed don't come over night, but, its been 2 weeks without a respond or action. That shows me how irresponsible the developers of this game are. But it's ok, they are taking care of the majority of their customers (Steam, Xbox & PS consoles) it's ok that they ignore the others, maybe they'd throw some money their way and forget about it. 😡😡😡

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Buhblz said:

I haven't herd anything at all. The admin wont say anything to these posts but they will respond to working systems instead. They will not respond to any of my multiple tickets that I opened and sent to them. 2 weeks now and it feels like they just took our money and abandoned us completely.

Yeah,  the lack of any sort of response is a bit baffling.

Again -- to me, at least -- the amount of money isn't really the issue. I spent ~$20 years ago on the base game, $20 on the TFTFT expansion, and another $20 on the "PC version" of TFTFT. For the amount of enjoyment I've gotten from the game, the number of updates, and the depth of the gameplay, I can honestly say I would have paid triple or even quadruple this amount, especially spread over the years. But that's not our problem; They priced the game how they wished. Cool. That being said, I don't care if I'm paying $1 or $100, if there is an exchange of money, I expect the product to work as-advertised. Maybe I seem a bit aggressive, but not being able to use XPA is frustrating, to say the least. I have taken two (short) business trips in the time since TFTFT launched, and I have been unable to play my favorite game on my laptop because of this issue. I mean, I can play it, but it's stuck on 2.02... I can't carry-on my current Survival save from my XSX and I don't want to start a new one on 2.02, because as soon as this issue is fixed the save will be forcibly deleted.

I fully understand that the devs likely need to consult with Microsoft regarding this issue. Again, cool. But give us some sort of update or timeframe, please.

Just venting here (again) so as to keep bumping the thread to the top.

Thank you for your patience.

When we initially responded to this thread, it appeared as though the Xbox PC version would be available shortly following the release of TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY. We ran into a couple of unforeseen issues during the cert process, which we have been working to resolve. While we don't have an exact date, we are working to make TALES available on Xbox for PC (and Play Anywhere) as quickly as possible. 

We hope to have more information later this week.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Admin said:

When we initially responded to this thread, it appeared as though the Xbox PC version would be available shortly following the release of TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY. We ran into a couple of unforeseen issues during the cert process, which we have been working to resolve. While we don't have an exact date, we are working to make TALES available on Xbox for PC (and Play Anywhere) as quickly as possible. 

The response is definitely and very much appreciated.

That being said, I purchased TFTFT for both Xbox and Xbox PC. Now you’re saying it’s not even available on Xbox PC? When it’s currently for-sale there as an active product?

8 hours ago, Admin said:

well that wasn't hard. Simple. I understand and now I know your in the process of doing something about it. I will wait and weep as I did in the past and watch videos on YouTube of others having fun until its fixed. Thank you for the response.

10 hours ago, Admin said:

Thank you for the update! Hope the issues are resolved soon.