Feedback on Free Update

I have not purchased the DLC but I wanted to make a few notes and suggestions on the features added into the free stream. 

Beachcombing

9/10. I really enjoy the fact that you know 100% that the items on shore have been refreshed after a blizzard. The objects like containers, boats, and harvestable items like pallets, planks, etc. are an awesome addition. 

There are two things I dislike. 1) ammunition can be found. There is already a lot of ammo in the world and having an infinite amount via beach combing defeats needing to preserve your ammo. This is the only item I wish wasn't able to be found while beachcombing. 2) The fishing boat disappears during blizzards. If you are beachcombing and a blizzard is starting, naturally you would take shelter in the fishing boat if it was there. Nobody wants to get stuck out on the ice in a blizzard. But half way through the blizzard it just disappears from under your feet. If possible, it would be nice if it only disappeared while you are not close to it. 

Besides that, I absolutely love the new beachcombing! 

Acorns

Acorns right now don't really appeal to me for eating. I don't know if I will ever find myself having to eat them because I have no other source of food. I would save them for coffee instead. But the process of shelling the acorns, cooking them, grinding them, and then finally brewing them can take over an hour in-game for one cup of coffee. There is enough manufactured coffee in the world that spending the time to make acorn coffee doesn't make sense. They would only become useful once normal coffee runs out, after over a hundred or two hundred days of survival.

Solution: allow acorns to respawn or add more per tree. I assume they don't respawn because we make a mess under the tree of dirt and snow. Even if more acorns were added, I still wouldn't use acorn coffee much but it's nice to have that option if you can't find normal coffee. But nevertheless it's a great addition. 

Fire Hardened Arrows

8/10. Easy to craft and serve a basic purpose: rabbit hunting and scaring off wolves. It's a great way to earn archery skill too. They are balanced as they are, but I was hoping for a little more punch from the arrows. I was expecting to be able to cause damage to animals, but never get critical hits. But by the looks of them they don't do any damage whatsoever; sometimes the wolves just walk it off after they get hit. 

Suggestion: allow the arrows to cause minor damage. Like the hammer in a wolf struggle; it damages the wolf but doesn't cause any injuries or bleeding. It would take multiple arrows to kill a wolf or a deer, but bears wouldn't take damage. 

I don't usually go for bunkers in a lot of my survival saves so I don't have anything to say about the new ones. I haven't found any yet. 

Overall the update is pretty awesome for getting it free. I hope acorns get tweaked to make them more worthwhile, but everything else is pretty balanced and useful.  

• Upvote 2