What's the trick to making fire hardened arrows?

I've tried on 3 different saves with knife, axe and improved axe in inventory: the craft button doesn't appear regardless of the tool I select.  All saves were started back in December during part 1.  I've tried crouching at the fire, and almost standing in the fire.  This particular fire has 1h 20m of fuel.

What's the trick?

20230331040901_1.thumb.jpg.f497cf2e58812a64d21e4a1c7af51f02.jpg

Edited by Ruruwawa
clarification

You need to click on a lit campfire, the menu now has a "Craft" option. 

Didn't manage to hurt anything other than rabbits with the fire hardened arrows, even on deer it will just scare them and break on the spot. It's nice for archery practice and not having to brutalize the bunnies. I like them.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan_ said:

You need to click on a lit campfire, the menu now has a "Craft" option. 

Didn't manage to hurt anything other than rabbits with the fire hardened arrows, even on deer it will just scare them and break on the spot. It's nice for archery practice and not having to brutalize the bunnies. I like them.

Thanks!  I didn't try clicking the campfire (duh!).

I have a question, ¿it is possible to get archery points for crafting improvised arrows?

You can get points for hiting animals but im not sure if you can level up just crafting them.

If it's the case, this should be an extremely fast way to level up archery to 5 not even needing a bow or regular bow materials.

2 hours ago, Glacia said:

I have a question, ¿it is possible to get archery points for crafting improvised arrows?

You can get points for hiting animals but im not sure if you can level up just crafting them.

If it's the case, this should be an extremely fast way to level up archery to 5 not even needing a bow or regular bow materials.

You don't get experience from crafting fire hardened arrows.

• Like 1