Hopeful Changes in Tomorrows Patch

TLDFAN

I have compiled a short list of the changes I hope to see tomorrow.

1. Better Wolf AI-They are too repetitive and predictable.

2. Reduced Numbers of Wolves-Too many of them, especially on Coastal Highway, I feel like Dirty Hairy.

3. Reduced Clothing Wear- Repair should be necessary and a challenge, but right now clothes wear out about twice as fast as they should in my opinion based on gameplay and just overall limited nature of materials. It Is better to just produce new items than fix existing ones. Tweak that.

4. More Random itemization- Some places still showing the same stuff.

5. More afflictions- Need to damage our characters more, they are too durable and too endurable.

6. Better modeling of hunger- Rampantly exploited, the gap on calories and fatigue needs to be closed.

7. Primitive fire making- We need to be able to do this without matches, and with higher failure rates.

8. Craftable Weapons- Spears, Bows, definitely a day 1 task with all these fricken wolves milling about.

9. Better deer AI- The Deer just walk around without stopping to appear to feed on the ground. Real deer also stick their heads up fast and straight when they are spooked or startled, they stand still and turn their head and use their ears to try to hear things, they can't see colors, and they only see motion. If you stop they can't see you not in the Long Dark, also the whole steerable Deer retreat exploit is also RAMPANT, and should be tweaked out of existence. At best the odds of a deer being spooked and then attack by a deer should be a very rare occurrence and not a regular method for food production.

10. Water containers- No more infinite water capacity. You boil water you have to contain it.

11. Forage Snow- You should have to be at risk to acquire snow while making water, i.e. at risk of wolf attack while gathering it external to any structures which offer you perfect security.

12. Better weather transitions- Fewer changes in weather, and more logic to the states of transition.

13. Better memory management- The performance in version .196 or whichever version was before the 32bit crowd started running out of memory was awesome. The .200 version has a substantial delay upon exiting a building as much as 6 seconds on a 64bit Octcore with 32GB DDR3 ram and an Samsung 850 SSD, sort of unacceptable.

14. More environmental challenges and hazards...

TLDFAN If those are the things to be updated I would be so happy. Nice seeing. You read my mind.

We'll see what we get, I expect Wolves will be a primary focus of the tweaking. As far as anything else, it will all be cream I think. Who knows. The game plays exceptionally well for the most part but there are some technical things really should be brought out of the abstract. Water capacity being one of them, snow coming from nowhere indoors, and lack of craftability in firemaking materials which man has being doing way before matches were invented and crafting weapons which he did even before making fire.

We can hope and I am sure Hinterland will not disappoint.

yup every point has been nailed i reckon. As for the load time when you exit a building, i typically experience the 5 second delay the first time i exit once i load the game up, after that its a second if that.

I wish I knew how to duplicate that because that is not what I experience.

yup every point has been nailed i reckon. As for the load time when you exit a building, i typically experience the 5 second delay the first time i exit once i load the game up, after that its a second if that.

Possibly differences between our hardware?

I have the following

i7

12GB RAM

R9 270X

W7 64bit

omg, i totally agree with the memory management part.

we need a 64bit version.

the game crashes randomly when exiting rooms (v200)

and error.log shows 0mb physical memory and 0mb userspace after mono.dll access violation.

i have win7 64bit ultimate with 16g ram. that should be enough for the game and this issue has to be resolved.

I have compiled a short list of the changes I hope to see tomorrow.

1. Better Wolf AI-They are too repetitive and predictable.

2. Reduced Numbers of Wolves-Too many of them, especially on Coastal Highway, I feel like Dirty Hairy.

3. Reduced Clothing Wear- Repair should be necessary and a challenge, but right now clothes wear out about twice as fast as they should in my opinion based on gameplay and just overall limited nature of materials. It Is better to just produce new items than fix existing ones. Tweak that.

4. More Random itemization- Some places still showing the same stuff.

5. More afflictions- Need to damage our characters more, they are too durable and too endurable.

6. Better modeling of hunger- Rampantly exploited, the gap on calories and fatigue needs to be closed.

7. Primitive fire making- We need to be able to do this without matches, and with higher failure rates.

8. Craftable Weapons- Spears, Bows, definitely a day 1 task with all these fricken wolves milling about.

9. Better deer AI- The Deer just walk around without stopping to appear to feed on the ground. Real deer also stick their heads up fast and straight when they are spooked or startled, they stand still and turn their head and use their ears to try to hear things, they can't see colors, and they only see motion. If you stop they can't see you not in the Long Dark, also the whole steerable Deer retreat exploit is also RAMPANT, and should be tweaked out of existence. At best the odds of a deer being spooked and then attack by a deer should be a very rare occurrence and not a regular method for food production.

10. Water containers- No more infinite water capacity. You boil water you have to contain it.

11. Forage Snow- You should have to be at risk to acquire snow while making water, i.e. at risk of wolf attack while gathering it external to any structures which offer you perfect security.

12. Better weather transitions- Fewer changes in weather, and more logic to the states of transition.

13. Better memory management- The performance in version .196 or whichever version was before the 32bit crowd started running out of memory was awesome. The .200 version has a substantial delay upon exiting a building as much as 6 seconds on a 64bit Octcore with 32GB DDR3 ram and an Samsung 850 SSD, sort of unacceptable.

14. More environmental challenges and hazards...

thanks for your message TLDFAN! Update coming soon!

It's just too bad the update contains only the changes to wolves.

I'm especially disappointed that nothing was done about the memory management.

It seems like all the talk about the performance impact from that decision was ignored.

A simple switch in the options to prevent unloading of assets would have sufficed.

I'm wondering if that was deemed too difficult or too unimportant.

so true, gaming logics and ai are just soft issues, but memory management is basics even for a kickstarter project.

It seems like all the talk about the performance impact from that decision was ignored.

A simple switch in the options to prevent unloading of assets would have sufficed.

Possibly differences between our hardware?

I have the following

i7

12GB RAM

R9 270X

W7 64bit

FX-8350

32 GB RAM

GTX 970

W7 64bit

its not the hardware, it ran far superior in version 1.96 which I wish I could roll back to.

I am beginning to have some mixed feelings about the update too. I mean they did some real work on the UI, however everything you do now takes longer, and is more tedious. The UI is even less responsive, harvesting for example, taking an item from the game would take a quarter second, now it takes a full second per item, and 2 clicks in the case of some items, I just don't see the benefit to learning every time about cattails, the crafting table UI is better but I have found it confusing to start with.

I am beginning to have some mixed feelings about the update too. I mean they did some real work on the UI, however everything you do now takes longer, and is more tedious. The UI is even less responsive, harvesting for example, taking an item from the game would take a quarter second, now it takes a full second per item, and 2 clicks in the case of some items, I just don't see the benefit to learning every time about cattails, the crafting table UI is better but I have found it confusing to start with.

I'm right with you.

IMO the UI has better looks but worse usability.

It's great to see all the conditions and icons are more easily recognized than plain text, but everything requires more clicks, moving your mouse farther ways and enduring longer delays.

I feel the same about The Ravine:

It looks gorgeous and I had fun travelling to the other side for the first time, but after that it's just a complicated looking path without anything to do. You just get to walk a longer distance when changing areas.

I just hope that's not the new paradigm for creating challenge and busyness.

I just hope that's not the new paradigm for creating challenge and busyness.

Agreed. I do like the look of the new UI, definitely more rich than the text based. However, the harvesting popup is ridiculous. This is the same time sink crap we get from foraging cupboards inside structures. They did reduce this time before but still a full one second timesink coupled with the display which tells you about everything you pull off, in the case of cat tails it is two items so you have to click through it. Sometimes when I find myself harvesting cat tails I'll take all 18-32 of them around a lake, now that process is substantially longer, and a click fest?

Excuse the French but... What the hell for? To be shown the same data on the item each time? I don't understand why this is valuable or necessary, as it is surely not convenient. If there is a timesink for harvesting fine, but then don't penalizes us by making us click through a menu after clicking on the item. No no no no NO! Please no!

Want to include a findable glossary or Outdoorsman & Outdoorswoman manual that is great, but make it an optional page though when you want to learn about what can be found in the while. Not a repetitive click fest every time you recover something.

Excuse the French but... What the hell for? To be shown the same data on the item each time? I don't understand why this is valuable or necessary, as it is surely not convenient. If there is a timesink for harvesting fine, but then don't penalizes us by making us click through a menu after clicking on the item. No no no no NO! Please no!

I'm always having this little moment when harvesting plants:

See plant

Click to gather

Wait for progress bar

Turn arou ... Oh wait, gotta click again to actually take that rose hip ...

Now, turn around and keep on walking

It actually strikes me as wrong that the delay happens before I finally decide to take them.

Would you really go to a bush, collect all the fruit and then decide if you actually want to keep them or would you rather inspect them first and then start harvesting?

Props to Hinterland on the new Wolfs, ok so you can still tell they are AI, but they are more varied AI and the whole chasing a deer thing, well its better. They also seem to toy with you when chasing you a bit, not following as fast, maybe giving you a chance to actually get away or hide some place, and then well if you stay in the line of sight they really close on you fast if they want your ass. Its great, its far superior to v.200. I also like how there aren't tons of them all over. I have to see Coastal yet but ML is much more charming without the tourists.

They still run away from flares, but really though should be a little less random as to what they are going to do. Just because you throw a flare at them doesn't mean they would know that to be hazardous.

I really like the switch to a more graphical interface, I just wish that a double click used an item. If you have a container open it moves it into or out of inventory. If you just have your inventory open it uses/equips/unequips the item.

I really DON'T like the new crafting table interface. I HATE having to page through each item to get to what I want. I much preferred the drop down in the previous version.

As for memory management, this update has SIGNIFICANLT increased the loading time when moving between indoors or outdoors (or vice versa)

I really like the switch to a more graphical interface, I just wish that a double click used an item. If you have a container open it moves it into or out of inventory. If you just have your inventory open it uses/equips/unequips the item.

That's sounds great!

More actions closer to the item instead of across the screen.

I'd also like "Transfer All" with a modifier key + click instead of click -> "Transfer All" button.

Feel the same about the new crafting UI.

You can't even click "Next" on the last card to get to the beginning again! :shock:

There are so many useful examples out there to draw from, but it seems the UI has to evolve all on its own.

I really DON'T like the new crafting table interface. I HATE having to page through each item to get to what I want. I much preferred the drop down in the previous version.

As for memory management, this update has SIGNIFICANLT increased the loading time when moving between indoors or outdoors (or vice versa)

I know and I simply do not understand the development for 32 bit. They should make 4GB RAM/64bit a requirement.

They are only ignoring performance degradation because that's the right thing to do.

Remember, those are all industry veterans with decades of experience.

They are not here to make the game the community wants.

Oh dude come on now, don't troll, they will issue ya a warning and stuff man. In fact I can feel my moderator one coming on for something.

They are only ignoring performance degradation because that's the right thing to do.

Remember, those are all industry veterans with decades of experience.

They are not here to make the game the community wants.

Oh dude come on now, don't troll, they will issue ya a warning and stuff man. In fact I can feel my moderator one coming on for something.

It's actually just statements from Raphael's GDC talk.

Maybe slightly rephrased.

Would still be interesting to receive a warning for that.

But fine, I'll let it go.

Well it is pretty clear this patch while having some improvements has some game busters. I am finding myself more and more at odds with the click mashing during wolf encounters, it doesn't really feel like that fits in with the rest of the whole game. Everything is a deliberate and turn based where as wolf encounters is all RTT.

Archived