TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, PART TWO Released & THE LONG DARK UPDATED to Version 2.09 (Xbox, Windows Store), and 2.10 (Steam, Epic Games Store, PlayStation)

Admin

Hello Survivors,

Today, we launched TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY Part One: Forsaken Airfield on PlayStation and Xbox, and Part Two: Signal Void on Steam, Epic Games Store, PlayStation, and Xbox

TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY features the first paid content for THE LONG DARK, significantly adding to the world of Great Bear Island and the game's core Survival foundation. New Parts will be added regularly over the course of the 12-month Expansion Pass campaign, featuring new Regions, new Gameplay, and new objective-based Tales. 

Each Part of TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY includes content that is exclusive to the Paid stream, plus free updates to Survival Mode.

PART ONE: FORSAKEN AIRFIELD 

The following paid features and content were included in TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, Part One: FORSAKEN AIRFIELD for Xbox and PlayStation:

• Far Range Branch Line: This transition region connects from Broken Railroad, linking Broken Railroad to Transfer Pass.
  • Transfer Pass: This hub region provides access to Forsaken Airfield, and the two additional new Regions arriving later in the Expansion Pass campaign.
  • Forsaken Airfield Region: An abandoned airfield on a vast snowy plain. It includes the Hangar, Control Tower, Ranger’s Cabin, and other points of interest. Watch for the Aurora.
  • Tool Variants: Vaughan’s Rifle, Barb’s Rifle, Curator’s Rifle, Woodwright’s Bow, Spelunker’s Lantern: Modifications of the base Tools, with custom stats and cosmetics.
  • Glimmer Fog: Beware this phenomenon. It comes during the day, and getting stuck in it for too long will trigger the new Insomnia Affliction.
  • Insomnia Affliction: Too much time in the Glimmer Fog can affect your sleep patterns. 

Please note that when you first start your adventures in the Far Territory, you cannot access the new regions or transitions from the World Map until you have first found them in the world. No shortcuts! They will become visible after they have been initially discovered. 

PART ONE: FREE STREAM

Along with the contents of Part One for the paid Expansion Pass, the following free updates were applied to the base Survival game.

• Complete Loot & Resource refresh: All loot tables have been updated, and the location of in-world spawned objects has been refreshed. The locations and amounts of all high-value Tools and Items have also been modified. Do not expect things to appear in the same place, or quantity, as you may have experienced them before, and also know that an element of randomness to loot spawns is present in any game. Interloper balance has been preserved in the loot refresh. (For more information please visit this post.) 
  • Starting Spawn Points refresh: When you start a new Survival game, the locations you can potentially spawn in each region have been changed. Feel lost again.
  • Visor Notes (Mementos): Notes will occasionally spawn under car visors (and other places). Finding these will unlock the location of supply caches or other items in the world.
  • Improvised Crampons: You can now craft your own. Be cautious, Survivors – these Crampons are not quite as effective as the ones you find. 
  • Doe: Female deer have been added to the game, replacing the majority of the Stag population.

For more details of each of these included features, please refer to the updated Roadmap page.

PART TWO: SIGNAL VOID

• The first Tale, SIGNAL VOID: Requires an estimated 5+ hours to complete
  • Handheld Shortwave Radio: For use with Transponder Cache Gameplay
  • Transponder Cache Gameplay: Including the Handheld Shortwave, Transmitter sites, and trackable hidden Supply Caches
  • New Bunkers: Discovered as part of the Tale
  • Four new clothing items: The Hockey Jersey, Flight Jacket, Aviator Cap, and Technical Balaclava
  • New “Surprise” Accessory item: Only found as part of the Tale – check out the update video to find out more! 

A note for players on Interloper: Prepper Caches are have returned to the game, however, there will be no fully-stocked versions. The new Tale also isn’t available on Interloper. 

PART TWO: FREE STREAM

Along with the contents of Part Two for the paid Expansion Pass, the following free updates were applied to the base Survival game.

• Fire-Hardened Arrows: Good for hunting small game
  • Enhanced Prepper Bunkers: Including visual updates, loot updates, and a spawn refresh. Prepper Bunkers are now spread out over more regions and there are more hatches than before, however only 3 are fully-stocked.
  • Enhanced Beachcombing: Watch for new loot and larger items after Blizzards
  • Acorns & more Oak Trees: Prepare and eat Acorns, or use them to make delicious Acorn Coffee

DETAILED RELEASE NOTES

USER INTERFACE

• UI - Added a unique Icon for Cured/Dried Guts.
  • UI - Updated the Insomnia affliction tooltip to reflect proper duration.
  • UI - Fixed an issue where Accessibility Options and Keyboard Bindings would reset after updating the game to a new version.
  • UI - Fixed an instance of debug text that would appear on the Map screen, after finding a Visor Note.
  • UI - Fixed an issue that prevented players from setting a custom Display Number in the “Settings Menu”, locking the game to the Primary Monitor. 
  • UI - Added the correct “Sawing” text that displays when using the Hacksaw.
  • UI - Fixed an issue that caused the wrong audio to play when pressing the 'X' button on a Controller in the Crafting Menu. 
  • UI - Fixed an issue that caused the "Back to Home" button to disappear when using a controller.
  • UI - Reviewed and adjusted translated text for TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY as needed.

ENVIRONMENT and AUDIO

• Audio - Fixed an issue where wind sound effects would not play correctly when loading from a Save file.
  • Audio - Fixed an issue where wind was not being occluded while indoors, making it sound like the player was still outside. 
  • Audio - Fixed an issue that would cause the wrong footstep sounds to play when walking on carpets. 
  • Environment - Fixed terrian that could not be crossed near the Brittle Cave in the Forsaken Airfield.
  • Environment - Fixed floating items found inside Mystery Lake Trailers near the Carter Hydro Dam.
  • Environment - Fixed graphical texture issues found throughout Forsaken Airfield.
  • Environment - Fixed an invisible corpse found in the Carter Hydro Dam.
  • Environment - Fixed loot placement in one of the caves in Broken Railroad. 
  • Environment - Fixed various floating objects found in the Forsaken Airfield.
  • Environment - Fixed visible texture seams found on some of the distant mountains in Broken Railroad.
  • Environment - Fixed an issue that would cause the Security Hut to become invisible at certain distances.
  • Environment - Fixed a light source in the Farm House in Pleasant Valley.
  • Environment - Fixed an issue that caused the Water Tower to pop-in unexpectedly in Mountain Town at certain distances.
  • Environment - Removed numerous locations where the player could become trapped in the environment throughout Forsaken Airfield.
  • Environment - Fixed low resolution textures found on the Safe in the Hydro Dam. 

SURVIVAL

• Gameplay - Updated Memento Cache Interloper Spawn Table, and fixed an issue with some Keys spawning for disabled Memento Caches. Please note that players might not see the fix in an existing save if they have already visited that location.
  • Gameplay - Fixed an issue that caused Cat Tails to have the incorrect weight, after being partially eaten.
  • Gameplay - Fixed an issue that would cause the player to teleport to a pre-placed Snow Shelter, if they saved and reloaded, while in a different Snow Shelter.
  • Gameplay - Fixed an issue that prevented the player from breaking down the Scrub Brush found in the Broken Railroad region.
  • Gameplay - Fixed an issue that could cause the player to shift vertically, if they saved the game while crouching.
  • Gameplay - Fixed an issue where spray-painted Markers would not appear correctly when applied to some trees.
  • Gameplay - Fixed an issue that caused cured Pelts to float above the ground. 
  • Gameplay - Updated the Deer Pelt icon to better match the in-game item.

CHALLENGE MODES

• The Hunted Part Two - Fixed an issue that caused the Old Bear to leave inconsistent blood trails. 
  • The Hunted Part Two - Fixed an issue that caused the Hunted Part Two's journal text to disappear after reloading.
  • The Hunted Part Two - Fixed missing Rifle Ammo in the Camp Office. 
  • Darkwalker - Fixed an issue that caused erroneous text to appear when completing the Darkwalker Challenge.

WINTERMUTE

** Please note that this section contains spoilers for WINTERMUTE. ** 

• Episode 3 - Fixed an issue that allowed Players to inadvertently skip a cinematic during their first time watching it. 
  • Episode 4 - Fixed issue that caused sound effects to be cut off after the end of a cinematic.
  • WINTERMUTE - Added missing Crafting icons. 

MAC

• Mac - Fixed an issue that prevented players from taking a screenshot using the “F8” hotkey. 
  • Mac - Fixed an issue that caused the “Press any button” and “Loading…” text on load screens to appear very small on retina displays or other high-resolution monitors.

CONSOLES

• Xbox - Fixed an issue that prevented some players being able to save Survival games of 500 days or more due to file size.
  • Xbox - Fixed an issue where Feats didn’t sync properly when switching profiles from the Main Menu.
  • PlayStation - Fixed an issue that prevented players from adding Fuel to fires. 
  • PlayStation - Fixed an issue that caused subtitles to play out of sync with the scene when watching a cinematic.

In addition to the above changes, we have also provided the following general fixes on consoles:

• Upgraded to Unity 2021.3.16f1 for THE LONG DARK (2021.3.6f1 for WINTERMUTE), fixing numerous engine-side issues.
  • General - Updated the game to use more asset bundles, improving load times and future update size.
  • Audio - Cleaned up various audio to improve quality and consistency.
  • Environment - Corrected multiple locations where the player could become stuck.
  • Environment - Fixed multiple locations where items or projectiles could fall below the ground when dropped or shot.
  • Environment - Fixed numerous clipping or missing texture issues.
  • Environment - Fixed multiple unreachable item placements.
  • UI - Ensured stats tracked the correct game values on Journal and Status screens.
  • Save File - Updated the save system to better manage the size of saves, avoiding issues where saves could grow too large for safe cloud storage or become corrupted.
  • Custom Game Mode - Fixed an issue where players were unable to reduce Cabin Fever Risk while Endless Night was enabled.
  • Custom Game Mode - Reviewed all Custom Game Mode tuning values to ensure they are working as designed. 
  • WINTERMUTE - Fixed several issues in Wintermute missions that could cause a Player’s mission progress to become stuck.
  • WINTERMUTE - Fixed an issue that would cause the Episode Progression stat for a save to display incorrectly when viewing a Load Menu.

FURTHER INFORMATION

For a list of Known Issues, please click here.

Please visit our Support Portal if you encounter any issues while playing the game. For additional news and information, don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter and follow us on Twitter (Game | Studio).

### END OF RELEASE NOTES ###

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• Admin pinned and featured this topic
2 hours ago, Mia Matsumo said:

Hi Admin or someone else, 
Why can´t i buy TLD without the story mode? I am on Xbox.  
Bit silly for me to buy the story mode as i never play it. I know that it is seperate on the PC. 
Is it coming later? 
Thanks in advance x

Thank you for reaching out. Survival Edition will be available for purchase separately at a later date. We appreciate your patience! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheOtherBob said:

As an interloper player, the money I paid for the DLC gave me absolutely nothing in this update, and that's not ok. 

I was actually excited about the Tale because traveling at night during an aurora is extremely risky in interloper and I thought it was brilliant to make that central to the Tale.  It would have brought back the literal spine tingling, adrenaline shakes, and real sweat I used to get from playing.

I guess balancing some loot was just too much work or something.  If I had known I would be subsidizing a bunch of content only stalker and voyageur players could enjoy, I certainly would not have bought the DLC.

Enjoy spending my money I guess.

Thank you for your feedback. We understand your disappointment, and we are relaying this feedback to the team. We appreciate your patience. 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Admin said:

Thank you for reaching out. Survival Edition will be available for purchase separately at a later date. We appreciate your patience! 

Yeah, like i am going to wait, i waited 4 months already, just payd 50 euro for the whole thing lol

As of 4:06 pm MDT, the Microsoft Store for Xbox is still showing what appears to be only Part One of Tales of the Far Territory (per their description of the add-on) for $25.99 CAD).  Can you please tell me whether, after purchasing this add-on, I'll be included in a subsequent update for Part 2 automatically or does that cost another $25.99 (or other amount) to purchase it as well?... or, should, perhaps, something be changed in the description in the Microsoft store to make it clear what the player is buying?

ETA:  Also @Admin - Your description of interloper rebalancing in the OP states "(For more information please visit this post.)"  However, there is no active link to whatever post is being referred to here.

Edited by UpUpAway95

Hello,

I would like to know two things. Firstly, where did my progress from episode 4 go? I completed the episode (XBox One) but the new update shows episode 4 as not even started. This seems to be listed as a “known issue” upon checking online - please can I ask if this was a known issue before the update was pushed out? And if it was, why was the update pushed out at this stage?

Secondly, why is there a black screen and 2 minutes of loading when switching between the main menu and Wintermute menu? Given there has already been a significant delay releasing this on XBox, it seems really unacceptable that XBox users should be expected to put up with this?

Edited by Skywatcher17

56 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

As of 4:06 pm MDT, the Microsoft Store for Xbox is still showing what appears to be only Part One of Tales of the Far Territory (per their description of the add-on) for $25.99 CAD).  Can you please tell me whether, after purchasing this add-on, I'll be included in a subsequent update for Part 2 automatically or does that cost another $25.99 (or other amount) to purchase it as well?... or, should, perhaps, something be changed in the description in the Microsoft store to make it clear what the player is buying?

ETA:  Also @Admin - Your description of interloper rebalancing in the OP states "(For more information please visit this post.)"  However, there is no active link to whatever post is being referred to here.

Thank you. We can confirm that this latest update includes Part One and Part Two. (Also, thank you for the head's up!)

Regarding the store, if you are able to send us a screenshot via private message, we would be happy to investigate this further. 

17 minutes ago, Skywatcher17 said:

Hello,

I would like to know two things. Firstly, where did my progress from episode 4 go? I completed the episode (XBox One) but the new update shows episode 4 as not even started. This seems to be listed as a “known issue” upon checking online - please can I ask if this was a known issue before the update was pushed out? And if it was, why was the update pushed out at this stage?

Secondly, why is there a black screen and 2 minutes of loading when switching between the main menu and Wintermute menu? Given there has already been a significant delay releasing this on XBox, it seems really unacceptable that XBox users should be expected to put up with this?

Thank you for reaching out. 

We're sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue. No, this was not a Known Issue prior to release, however, we have listed it as a Known Issue so players are aware that we are working on it. We will provide news as soon as it is available. 

UPDATE: We understand some Xbox players are experiencing issues losing saves on WINTERMUTE following today's update. We are working toward an urgent resolution for this issue, and we will provide more information as soon as it is available. Thank you for your patience.

35 minutes ago, Admin said:

We're sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue. No, this was not a Known Issue prior to release, however, we have listed it as a Known Issue so players are aware that we are working on it. We will provide news as soon as it is available. 

I experienced this on PC as well after the DLC update, and noted that several other people experienced the same problem. I think I posted in either these forums or those on Steam. In any case, because my old saves aren't usable after the update, I can't go back to them to quickly finish the episode and update the game state. Is there a way I can "trick" the game status into showing Episode 4 as completed?

Are the newly updated bunkers / prepper caches available in Survival mode if you created a new save during Part 1, or do we have to restart in order to find them? Same goes for the oak trees, I suppose.

Edited by ToAsT
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Admin said:

Thank you for the quick response. I appreciate all the hard work getting the update out. Please could I ask if the black screen and long loading time between menus is expected behaviour on XBox One?

1 hour ago, Admin said:

Thank you. We can confirm that this latest update includes Part One and Part Two. (Also, thank you for the head's up!)

Regarding the store, if you are able to send us a screenshot via private message, we would be happy to investigate this further. 

Screen captures on the Xbox X appear to be disabled when I'm inside the Microsoft Store, so, sorry, I cannot comply with that request.  Here is an exact quote of the details for the only add-on showing for the game:  The Long Dark Tales from the Far Territory:  "TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY is the first paid expansion pass for The Long Dark's Survival Mode and adds to the game core Survival foundation, with new Regions..., new Gameplay, and and objective-based Tales."

CAD $23.39 with Game Pass or Buy CAD $25.99

Another click on details brings up another Desccription that begins:  Deep along the spine of Great Bear tracks a steep mountain range and bisects the islands.  This is the Far Range, an imposing wall of rock that stands vigilant over Great Bear's priceless resources riches.... "

After a fair bit of text and scrolling down, it ends with Tales from the Far Territory is the first paid expansion pass for The Long Dark's Survival Mode.  Releasing in multiple Parts over the course of a 12-month campaign... (more text and scrolling).... The full Roadmap for the Expansion Pass will be available at www.thelongdark.com/expansion in the lead-up to the December launch.  Please keep in mind that features and content added to the Expansion are subject to development realities, and may change over time..."

The link takes you to the roadmap on this website, but one has to go through an additional click and a lot of text and hoops and outdated information that has changed since to put the pieces together.  I propose that it might be worthwhile to change just a few words in the main description to indicate that the payment includes any and all parts of the expansion that have been released to the date of purchase.

Also, the game pass pricing should be removed since the game is imminently being removed from the game pass.

Edited by UpUpAway95

17 minutes ago, Skywatcher17 said:

Thank you for the quick response. I appreciate all the hard work getting the update out. Please could I ask if the black screen and long loading time between menus is expected behaviour on XBox One?

It isn't a game breaking issue, but we continue to investigate a resolution. Thank you! 

I just wonder. It was not clearly stated (at least to me). Do I have to start new game for the tale? Or I can just pack my gear and head over to the BR? I have nice character in voyager and I like to keep playing one character till its demise.

3 hours ago, acada said:

I just wonder. It was not clearly stated (at least to me). Do I have to start new game for the tale? Or I can just pack my gear and head over to the BR? I have nice character in voyager and I like to keep playing one character till its demise.

I was able to start the Tale on my existing run.