Accidently deleted my Survival save :(

TheThermos

I though I was in the challenges menu and I wanted to delete my current The Hunted part 1 save... Turns out I was in the survival menu 😅

Ended up deleting my 150+ days pilgrim save🙃. Any way I can get it back or is it gone forever?

Unfortunately, no. You can't restore a deleted save :(

It's highly advisable to make backups of the game, not just for accidents like this but also for bugs or other issues.

You can find the data location at %LocalAppData%\Hinterland\TheLongDark    (Windows+R), just copy and paste the contents on a backup folder. In case you lost your save progress for any reason, you can just remove the contents of your game folder and paste the backup ones. (Disable steam cloud before doing this)

• Upvote 1

On 3/14/2023 at 8:29 PM, Glacia said:

Unfortunately, no. You can't restore a deleted save :(

It's highly advisable to make backups of the game, not just for accidents like this but also for bugs or other issues.

You can find the data location at %LocalAppData%\Hinterland\TheLongDark    (Windows+R), just copy and paste the contents on a backup folder. In case you lost your save progress for any reason, you can just remove the contents of your game folder and paste the backup ones. (Disable steam cloud before doing this)

Ensure you are only restoring the save you lost, not the others!  I've put together some instructions on a bat file I use for this.  I'll include it here:

1) Find your Long Dark save folder.  Mine is located here:  C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Local\Hinterland\TheLongDark\Survival
2) In File Explorer, make a new folder under the TheLondDark folder.  I called mine New1
3) In your Save Games folder, create a new file.  I called mine 1.bat (the bat extension is important)
4) Edit the .bat file in NotePad (right-click the file to Edit)
5) This is the contents of mine.  Your’s will vary based upon your file path from #1 and also the name of your save game file.

@echo off 
copy profile_survival.* C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Local\Hinterland\TheLongDark\New1\
copy save-slots.json C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Local\Hinterland\TheLongDark\New1\save-slots.json
copy sandbox1 C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Local\Hinterland\TheLongDark\New1\sandbox1

When the .bat file is executed (by clicking/double-clicking on it), it will copy the save files you designated in #5 to your #2 folder.
Back up your save games as frequently as you wish by executing the .bat file
In the event you die, or you simply wish to restore your save to a former backup, all you need to do is manually copy all the files in your #2 folder to your Save Games folder (overwrite when prompted).  Keep in mind, this will overwrite any progress you have made since your last backup. Make sure the game is closed when you do this.

If you ever want to add more saves to this back up process, just edit the .bat file adding any new files from #1.  Each file (with the exception of the profile_survival files) will need it’s own line in the .bat file.