Is the DLC worth it?

I apologise if this is the wrong place to ask but I had been recently considering getting it, and was wondering if it was worth buying it to give it a try, or does it not add a huge amount to the game. I would be interested in hearing peoples thoughts on the dlc, as it would help me come to a decision, as I may be overthinking this a tad, haha

For a big fan of the game yes, but it doesn't contain that much right now. A lot of its content is still unreleased. So if you're expecting too much you'll be disappointed.

One thing to keep in mind is that they will increase the price over time as more is added

Edited by Serenity
  • Upvote 5

I have not been disappointed so far. I pretty much got it the day it was possible to buy it. Currently that basically means the transition zone and Forsaken Airfield. FA is perhaps not as ... cosmetically spectacular as say AC or parts of BRM, but it's a very good region with some very interesting features, and the view from the porches of the cabins are absolutely amazing, esp in the early evening or morning when the aurora is active. I've had a survivor going in there for a couple of hundred days now. There are some glitches, which I expect are going to get fixed over time, as I have seen happen with new releases in the past, so be prepared for those, but overall I'm happy so far. Note well that as Serenity said the price will increase over time until the end of the the DLC release cycle around the end of this calendar year, but that may or may not matter that much to you.

Overall this entire period is a major update to the game, including migrations to a new version of the underlying game engine and a major reworking of loot tables, resources, and the addition of new game mechanics; I fully expect it to add significantly to the TLD 'experience' over the course of this year.

Hi, I do like the addon so far. Yes, there are bugs but it is fun to explore a new region. Keep in mind that FA is a harsh and demanding region, where You need a lot of experience in TLD.

If You are not comfortable at Stalker level already, maybe waiting a bit is an option. I expect that the update will also be availiable for a reduced price during some sales in the future. And then You will get a bug free, fine tuned version.

• Upvote 1

I have been hesitant to say it, but I have been a disappointed with the DLC. Do not jump on me for being bitchy and negative, few people have played TLD as much as I have and I have been very ready to say what a fantastic game it is.

With the straight early access TLD I didn't particularly mind bugs.  In fact, I often spent a great deal of time investigating the bugs that I came across and I often reported them in detail to support.  Then I felt that wse were all, HTL and early access players were, all part of team working together to improve an excellent game.

I do not have this feeling of cameraderie with the DLC.  I have come across many bugs and inconsistencies that I find irritating.  As the DLC is being sold for a much higher price for a 12 month licence I feel that we should not have so many unresolved issues.

I would have preferred to have Episode 5 of the original TLD in the old format with the usual limitations and bugs, then the realease of the DLC with the new format, not as early access, with very few bugs with the new pricing structure.

For all my complaints I am playing TFTFT and have completed around 600 days at Voyager level but there is a slight sour taste in my mouth.

• Upvote 2

Right now? Maybe... there are various bugs and problems with the loot tables. The content isn't bad at all, it's actually very good but scarce, most of the DLC contents will be released later.

I hope that part 2 of the DLC will fix most of the bugs and set a solid base for the upcoming content.

If you're a big fan of the game, buy it without doubt. But if not the case, it's highly advisable to wait a bit for more stable and solid versions (And also more playable content).

If you really like the sandbox mode then maybe? For me personally it's not something I would play for free so it doesn't matter. There are too many issues, some are the game not working well, some are me not liking when things don't make sense even if it works, and some things are me just disagreeing with how things have been designed.

The story mode has some forgiveness though. If the story is enjoyable I can still enjoy the nice atmosphere this game has even with the parts I don't enjoy about the game. I have yet to play any of it really, so hopefully it will be good once it comes out.

How much is it anyways? If it costs like 20 dollars then maybe give up a couple trips to starbucks or something. You can ask if it's worth two whipped cream frappe or whatever they sell there.

On 3/9/2023 at 8:12 PM, mfuegemann said:

Hi, I do like the addon so far. Yes, there are bugs but it is fun to explore a new region. Keep in mind that FA is a harsh and demanding region, where You need a lot of experience in TLD.

If You are not comfortable at Stalker level already, maybe waiting a bit is an option. I expect that the update will also be availiable for a reduced price during some sales in the future. And then You will get a bug free, fine tuned version.

Hmm, can you clarify the part about needing a lot of experience in TLD / not comfortable at stalker level already?

If I play Pilgrim, TFTFT will "just be too hard"?

As far as what has been pledged to be released for our money, I am impressed.  As far as what has been released upon the initial December release, it is not bad and definitely a good refresher for having been away from the game for the better part of a year.  As far as Hinterland's pledge on their release dates, they have proven dismal as ever.  I'm still looking forward to the remainder of all of what is to come out, but at the same time, not looking forward to the inevitable delayed releases from the "8-10 week cadence" they pledged before initial release (this upcoming March 30th release is a good SIX WEEKS AFTER when they said it would be out). 

5 hours ago, PilgrimReaper said:

Hmm, can you clarify the part about needing a lot of experience in TLD / not comfortable at stalker level already?

If I play Pilgrim, TFTFT will "just be too hard"?

It means very simply that the regions introduced by the DLC are hard to live in. It also means that with all the redistribution of ressources, loot, and spawning points, if you don't really know what you do, you're gonna die a lot ... again ;)

Of course, a new run in Pilgrim mode would still be quite like a walk in the park, so don't worry about that. Still, the new region is tough by itself, don't venture there without any tool !

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Thank You DaGnome91, this is exactly, what I was thinking of. The new region is very cold and windy. With only some houses, You will have to hunt to survive more sooner than later. Coal is scarce and the open layout in combination with the frequent glimmer fog makes navigating hard.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for this!

I definitely plan on coming very prepared, with good clothing and tools, but frequent fog and blizzards make exploring very challenging, it seems. Are there enough roads that one can use them to get the hang of the map, to some extent?

Does PV seem like a good point of comparison?

I sure do like a cosy base, haha...

PV is nowhere as difficult as Forsaken Airfield, except for the frequent blizzards. Still, sometimes, you find yourself in such a fog or blizzard that if you don't have the slightest idea where you were going, you gonna run in circle, or worse : stumble upon a predator. The only way to escape these conditions is simply to retrace your last steps and move on in exactly the same direction, or go on without changing direction, hoping for the best ;)

I'm not kidding, the place is unforgiving, being much much colder than PV, with BI-equivalent winds, and long-lasting blizzards and fogs more frequent than anywhere else. Add to that : the place is HUGE (bigger than PV), there are very few safe places if you don't know where to look, some places are totally barren (which is hard to navigate) and devoid of any wildlife (which is hard to thrive on). Nevertheless, it's a beauty in itself and a real challenge to live in.

I just love the place :)

36 minutes ago, DaGnome91 said:

PV is nowhere as difficult as Forsaken Airfield, except for the frequent blizzards. Still, sometimes, you find yourself in such a fog or blizzard that if you don't have the slightest idea where you were going, you gonna run in circle, or worse : stumble upon a predator. The only way to escape these conditions is simply to retrace your last steps and move on in exactly the same direction, or go on without changing direction, hoping for the best ;)

This reminds me of something.... placing a fire doesn't cost anything, right? Couldn't that be used to mark your steps some, and find your way back? Not super elegant, but better than dying, right? 😁

@PilgrimReaperAs with all levels there's the options in settings to change things like blizzards .  Animals are no threat either unless provoked ,and that's not guaranteed so if you're worried then you can just adjust the pilgrim settings until you're more confident in the area and your skills..   I plan to change weather settings to low wind,I love silent  blizzards, and take plenty of MRes because of the lack of animals I always get on pilgrim..  the only issue I think might cause serious issues is the glimmer fog/fog which I really hoped would be removable in the settings.  

Sure pv can be really tough at times but again things are changeable in the settings and once you get used to pv as it is ,then it gets easier..  knowing the maps helps on any level. .   

You can just drop stops or dead torches to find your way.... Sticks always point north,unless it's getting changed in the update.

On 3/12/2023 at 12:27 PM, PilgrimReaper said:

This reminds me of something.... placing a fire doesn't cost anything, right? Couldn't that be used to mark your steps some, and find your way back? Not super elegant, but better than dying, right? 😁

There is also a vast lake in Forsaken Airfield, with a pack of wolves and a herd of deers, a roaming bear and a possible moose. Remember you can't start a fire on ice (nor lay your bedroll on it), you even have that problem in 2 caves around the lake!
It can be used in the rest of the map, but still some places are just like empty fields: no wood limb and no stick either! So you'd have to carry around sticks to light those fires. And then, count with the wind: on a totally barren and empty field (and there are a few), good luck, cuz' the whole region is windy (very much indeed) :)

Still, it's an option ;)

Returning to the original question -- to get the DLC or not -- I think it depends.

If you're a veteran player who has thoroughly explored the entirety of Great Bear Island and whose favourite gameplay is survival, then I'd say: YES, and you won't regret your decision at all.

If you're primarily interested in playing Story Mode and just play a bit of survival here and there, I'd say: NO. You're unlikely to enjoy this DLC.

If you are relatively new to the game and aren't sure whether you enjoy story or survival mode more, I would say: WAIT.

• Upvote 7

On 3/14/2023 at 2:49 PM, Glflegolas said:

Returning to the original question -- to get the DLC or not -- I think it depends.

If you're a veteran player who has thoroughly explored the entirety of Great Bear Island and whose favourite gameplay is survival, then I'd say: YES, and you won't regret your decision at all.

If you're primarily interested in playing Story Mode and just play a bit of survival here and there, I'd say: NO. You're unlikely to enjoy this DLC.

If you are relatively new to the game and aren't sure whether you enjoy story or survival mode more, I would say: WAIT.

This advice comports with reality rather well.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2023 at 8:07 AM, stratvox said:

This advice comports with reality rather well.

Yeah I agree too. I don't spend much time with story but I have thousands of hours in survival. To me it was a real treat to explore my way in to FA with no maps and not reading any forums about it. I am in my second run to FA after getting my ass kicked by cold and wind and not knowing where to find Deer and having to retreat. Definitely you need to be an experienced player and well prepared to go in to the unknown. Not worth it for new players. Just stay with the base survival game.

My second run was better but still I had to retreat back to the transition after running out of food and fuel to cook but now I know where to look in both FA and the transition so I plan another foray to find one more safehouse that I know is there somewhere. Someone's Hovel. Can't remember what exactly it is called. FA is quite brutal but knowing where meat is both in FA and the transition can get you some time to explore in good weather while sitting out the bad.

TL;DR
My opinion on DLC01 with Forsaken Airfield, having lived there twice, is that it is for experienced Survival players only.

I also will wait for a discont, since I play mostly Ash Canyon and Timberwolf Mountain before I die again.

20 Euro is a little much. I would ve bought it for 8 Euro - despite not really using it (since I continue play Ash Canyon, ...) - , but just to support Hinterland.

This game is very great already!