Build and repair building objects

SaabGripen

Wait! Of course, building a fancy mansion in devastated post-apocalyptic Northern Canada is nonsense. What I'm talking about is something different.

Currently, the only way for players to create paths is to place climbing ropes at specific points. What I'm going to suggest is an extension of this idea.

Like climbing points, there are specific pre-set points at which players can work on construction projects. Simple bridges, wooden ladders, rope ladders, sheet rope, stairs, etc. The Cannery workshop in Bleak inlet is a good example of this being necessary.

We can think of several more examples for new exploration experiences.

•  The player found a 2-3 story building and entered it. However, the stairs to the second floor are destroyed. (Perhaps the owner of the house is wary of marauders?) After setting up the path, the player will find a corpse along with some resources and tools.
  •  The door of the house is blocked by a fallen tree or barricade. Dismantle it with the hatchet and enter.
  •  There's a two-story house over there. The doors and windows on the first floor are tightly barred. The player climbs the ladder to the balcony on the second floor and opens the door with a crowbar.
  •  Players are located on the 2nd floor or higher. However, the player can't head to the first floor for some reason, can't use the door on the first floor, or has to go in the opposite direction to the door on the first floor. (If there are wolves in the front yard and fortunately the front and back yard are separated by a fence, the player will have to go out to the back yard.) Install the sheet rope on the window on the back yard and go down.

In addition to creating new paths like above, slightly different concepts are possible.

•  The player has found a suitable building to use as shelter. This building is not completely in ruins, but the windows or doors, or parts of the roof are damaged. Until the player repairs it, the inside of this building will have the same temperature as the outside.

I think that "visible" results like this will give players a sense of accomplishment. What do you think?

• Upvote 7
  • Like 1

This is a brilliant idea, I would absolutely love to make small improvements around the world. 
I love the idea of an established point where players can build a wood + rope bridge to create a shortcut ….but it’d require a difficult climb the long way around to get into place, and need a lot of wood and rope to build. ( maybe we could craft a climbing rope from 20 animal guts ).

It’s a great suggestion to have areas that you can only explore once you’ve built a ladder, or needing to clear rubble and/or a fallen tree to get access to the door.

Excellent and well explained!

Currently the only missing item for certain tasks like this should be the Nails, because we already have a Hammer and wood. Something that has been requested since the first days it's being able to repair the TWM Hut roof, or shortcuts with improvised bridges to Bleak Inlet cannery.

I hope that with the safehouse customisation update we get some things like that, like 'Tasks' or 'Quests' inside certain locations to upgrade or improve the base. 

• 2 weeks later...