Bear hunting and bear behaviour?

past caring

This might all sound a bit daft, but....

I've never proactively hunted bear before. I've killed plenty - but only because they're a menace - either I can't have them roaming freely around my favourite base camps (Quonset Garage, Pleasant Valley Farm) or because they are blocking routes I want to use (along the railway in Forlorn Muskeg or from the Mountaineers Hut up to crash site in Timberwolf Mountain). But I've never gone out of my way to kill them. Until now.

I've got a bear skin bed roll (from the bears hanging around PVF) and I'm in Mystery Lake and I want to repair it. Neither the lake den nor the den near Trapper's has bones in. The den just by Unnamed Pond does. I always assumed this is not like moose rubbings and that it means there is definitely a bear using this den. And assumed that the bear comes back to the den every night/at least once in 24 hours to sleep. Or have I misunderstood? Because thanks to a spell of protracted good weather I have just spent 48 hours sat on top of the den - and no sign of any bear....

It's not the same as moose no, it should be there. I had the same problem yesterday with trappers bear,I waited for four days and I saw nothing until I packed up and started heading back to camp office.   The one you have takes a bit of an odd path ,as far as I can gather,and tends to vanish somewhere between the higher part of the pond and the clump  of rocks on the left side.  It's even worse if you shoot and it runs off to die. 

I hope you have better luck with it though. 

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

Depends how hungry you are I suppose.. 

Cheers - I took the lot. 😁 Food not really an issue, but I don't like waste and I don't like to kill stuff and then not eat it (I make an exception for wolves, unless I actually need the meat - the longer they take to decompose, the longer until they re-spawn). And the meat will come in handy whilst I'm kicking my heals waiting for the hide to cure.

3 minutes ago, past caring said:

Cheers - I took the lot. 😁 Food not really an issue, but I don't like waste and I don't like to kill stuff and then not eat it (I make an exception for wolves, unless I actually need the meat - the longer they take to decompose, the longer until they re-spawn). And the meat will come in handy whilst I'm kicking my heals waiting for the hide to cure.

Don't blame you.   It does take a while to cure so you'll probably need half of the meat anyway.😊

3 hours ago, past caring said:

Neither the lake den nor the den near Trapper's has bones in. The den just by Unnamed Pond does. I always assumed this is not like moose rubbings and that it means there is definitely a bear using this den.

I've never read this theory before.  Has anyone confirmed it?  (If bones are in bear den, bear is active on the map)

@hozz1235 - there's been quite a few blog/story type posts since the TFTFT update where people have talked about "the bear den at......not being used this year as there are no bones in it" so I assumed that to be the case. Also for me it's always been the case that bear dens without bones on any particular run don't have bears. With this particular run, the two other possible locations in ML don't have bones or bears - so I was guessing there had to be at least one bear on the map. As the Unnamed Pond den has bones, I thought the bear has to be there - but then got worried after sitting on top of it for 48 hours straight with a no-show from Mr Bear.

• 7 months later...

Bumping this thread because for one I'd be interested what came of this

On 2/27/2023 at 6:12 PM, hozz1235 said:

Good to know.  I'll be doing some verification the next time I play.

And also plan to sidetrack it with this:

On 2/27/2023 at 2:28 PM, past caring said:

I always assumed this is not like moose rubbings

Is this still actually the case? I know the scratch marks used to only indicate possible locations, not active locations, but the fandom wiki says this:

"While wandering within close proximity of a suitable tree, a moose may randomly generate an antler rub on its stump."

Indicating that the rubbings are now dynamically generated by proximity of a moose, meaning they do indeed show active spawns now. Around Day 30 in a Custom run where Moose spawns are set to Medium I am seemingly able to confirm this - spent some time at Quonset with no moose around (thankfully all of the bears though, so I wasn't all alone with the dogs) and there were no rubbings on any of the trees.

Moved on to PV where I ran into a Moose on the edge of the birch forest near the outbuildings where rubbings were indeed present. Some exploring revealed no second moose at Pensive Pond - and also no rubbings. Can anyone confirm this? I would very much love if this mechanic was a thing now. All we'd need then is for them to actually wander around a bit more, since they're usually right next to their rubbings anyway...

Since the tftft update I have had no rubbings except at bricklayers in BlackRock. They are always there even if I've not seen the moose .

The bleak moose will always spawn somewhere and I don't remember ever seeing rubbings there...   

I believe that if there are rubbings in a set place then the moose will spawn there, but as with all moose they'll turn up when it suits them.. 

14 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I believe that if there are rubbings in a set place then the moose will spawn there, but as with all moose they'll turn up when it suits them..

This is what I have been going by as well all this time and even though I took quite a break from the game for a while, I certainly remember seeing the rubbings on the same trees every time, whether the moose had spawned or not. My current run appears to differ though and the wiki even includes this peculiar screenshot (that I can't seem to be able to embed as an image): https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/intothelongdark/images/4/47/Moose-mark.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20200127074440

Showing the same tree once with and once without the rubbings. This has my hopes up. I guess now I'll be the one doing some verifying.

16 minutes ago, LostRealist said:

This is what I have been going by as well all this time and even though I took quite a break from the game for a while, I certainly remember seeing the rubbings on the same trees every time, whether the moose had spawned or not. My current run appears to differ though and the wiki even includes this peculiar screenshot (that I can't seem to be able to embed as an image): https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/intothelongdark/images/4/47/Moose-mark.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20200127074440

Showing the same tree once with and once without the rubbings. This has my hopes up. I guess now I'll be the one doing some verifying.

It might all be moot soon anyway..if the new refresh comes, we don't know what it will affect..   

I can't see that image either. But  to be honest I've got used to no rubbings and just look for moose when I'm in the areas..  the only place I can guarantee to see one is in bleak inlet so if I'm desperate I always head there.   

I've never had rubbings in coastal and had the moose several times,on this run I didn't see it until day 500+ so they're a law unto themselves.

I am having issues with animals since the update though,wolves not spawning when they should and bears spawning when they're off in the settings. Moose could be affected too.

50 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

It might all be moot soon anyway..if the new refresh comes, we don't know what it will affect..   

I can't see that image either. But  to be honest I've got used to no rubbings and just look for moose when I'm in the areas..  the only place I can guarantee to see one is in bleak inlet so if I'm desperate I always head there.   

I've never had rubbings in coastal and had the moose several times,on this run I didn't see it until day 500+ so they're a law unto themselves.

I am having issues with animals since the update though,wolves not spawning when they should and bears spawning when they're off in the settings. Moose could be affected too.

Well, since they don't really wander I tend to see the moose before I see the rubbings anyway. That's why it would be great if they were more mobile - combined with "true" rubbings that actually indicate active spawns this would make for some amazing search and hunt expeditions I'm sure.

Indeed I also had a hunch that the wildlife spawns were a bit odd as of late. The wolf density seems to be lower than I would have expected for my settings, while a "Low" spawn setting for bears still leaves very, very few caves unoccupied. In fact I'd say moose are still the closest to what I would have expected with one encounter in 30 days on "Medium".

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, LostRealist said:

Well, since they don't really wander I tend to see the moose before I see the rubbings anyway. That's why it would be great if they were more mobile - combined with "true" rubbings that actually indicate active spawns this would make for some amazing search and hunt expeditions I'm sure.

Indeed I also had a hunch that the wildlife spawns were a bit odd as of late. The wolf density seems to be lower than I would have expected for my settings, while a "Low" spawn setting for bears still leaves very, very few caves unoccupied. In fact I'd say moose are still the closest to what I would have expected with one encounter in 30 days on "Medium".

Good idea..and in rease the radius of the rubbings.

There's definitely a bug, the 24hiur grace period doesn't always work either.

I had a loper custom run with wolves maxed out and no bears.. I saw three wolves over three-four maps and on the fourth map a bear suddenly turned up right next to me.. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Good idea..and in rease the radius of the rubbings.

There's definitely a bug, the 24hiur grace period doesn't always work either.

I had a loper custom run with wolves maxed out and no bears.. I saw three wolves over three-four maps and on the fourth map a bear suddenly turned up right next to me.. 

Now that's some Oof right there. I'd probably report that one about the bear, since that one is quite clear.

13 minutes ago, LostRealist said:

I don't doubt it. I guess that's one way to get back the feeling of running into your first bear in TLD...

Last time I played non passive with bears on was the first and only time I died from a mauling.... that was 4 years ago...  I play pilgrim custom as a rule..

Just now, Leeanda said:

Last time I played non passive with bears on was the first and only time I died from a mauling.... that was 4 years ago...  I play pilgrim custom as a rule..

I do like the thrill of the big game being able to hurt you bad, because I find that hunting them is too easy as it is, but I harbour massive respect for them for sure. I play very Custom rules with the least amount of condition regeneration possible short of none at all, so it can take very long to recover from a chomping. Haven't been trampled yet though 🤞

On 8/27/2023 at 11:40 AM, ManicManiac said:

Under most circumstances, I like to hunt more out in the open, going more "toe-to-toe" as it were.
I will usually approach until the bear spots me and starts stalking.
I'll then use myself as bait and lure the bear to where it will be more convenient for me to harvest the carcass.
In other words, I lure the bear to me and then I control where the skirmish takes place.
When the bear is more or less in the area I want it... I'll get low and let it stalk closer.
The idea is to get into "charging range," so that when I take the first shot... if that doesn't drop it, then it will charge me rather than flee.
If the first shot doesn't knock it down... then I take the additional shot(s) while it's charging at me.

On average (whether it's a moose or a bear) it only usually takes 1-2 shots to take down large game.

Anyway, that's how I hunt bear on Great Bear Island.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

• Upvote 1

Just now, LostRealist said:

I do like the thrill of the big game being able to hurt you bad, because I find that hunting them is too easy as it is, but I harbour massive respect for them for sure. I play very Custom rules with the least amount of condition regeneration possible short of none at all, so it can take very long to recover from a chomping. Haven't been trampled yet though 🤞

I'm ok with the moose,getting stomped on doesn't bother me ,it's just the bear I have issues with.. it's a health thing so they're a big no for me.. but I get what you mean.. 

I have done stalker and loper without bears on and I got plenty of maulings,as it should be..    but quite rightly they should rip you to pieces.

It's just terrifying hearing a giant roar down your ear when you really weren't expecting one.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, LostRealist said:

. I play very Custom rules with the least amount of condition regeneration possible short of none at all, so it can take very long to recover from a chomping. 

Yes i play those too and they are the best IMO. 

On Interloper your health regeneration is so fast that you can drain it to almost zero and drink a herbal tea + go to sleep and half of your health will be regenerated - seems too easy and too fast thus like you said low threat of hunting and freezing. 

On NOGOA your health will never be regenerated without a stim - seems unreal that even if you hunker down in a cabin for a week, eat take medicine, drink, get warm you will not be able to regenerate health. 

Lowest day and night health regeneration is PERFECT. Its the difficulty i like the most and it gives me most fun out of the game. It really forces you to think and be very aware of what you are doing. A simple hike from ML to Broken Railroad this weekend - my health was about 89% when i started and got some bad weather that forced me to light a lot of fires and the wind change setup on max didint help so i lost some % on the way. Anyway i was close to the BR garage and trying to sneak past 3 wolves to get inside. Unfortunatelly one of them got me (it was windy and the wolf was too close for me to light a flare) and managed to get inside with 19% heath. After that i had to spend a week there to regenerate my health to be able to travel again so i setup a base there and recovered, hunting, repairing, cooking etc. It seems really realistic that way for me. This way every big hunt i want to make must be perfect, prepared, and i need to be in good heath to do that. This gives me great immersion. 

I think i will never be back to interloper again. It became too easy. 

About the bones and markings - A far as i know bones are indeed indicators if the bear spawn is active or not. Bones will never appear or disappear. Same with markings but with some exeptions:

Moose spawn outside Trappers cabin - its a special spawn 

Moose in Desolation point on the bridge - i believe they are no markings there ever but im not 100% sure.

Other than that if there are no markings where the moose supposed to be, the moose will never spawn there. The moose will never create new markings. Yes there can be runs with regions that supposed to have moose but there are no markings thus the moose will never spawn. 

Edited by James Hickok

4 hours ago, James Hickok said:

After that i had to spend a week there to regenerate my health to be able to travel again so i setup a base there and recovered, hunting, repairing, cooking etc. It seems really realistic that way for me.

That is my take as well. I actually play with no regeneration while awake and only low regeneration while asleep. My base settings are somewhere around Stalker difficulty-wise, but the very low regeneration makes your decisions so consequential. Death is not only possible by singular, major events like a fall, a blizzard or a bear, but can be the result of many small decisions that add up because I can't just sleep them off in a day. And I agree, NOGOA is  step too far in my opinion as well, because as I play now I can at least do something to improve my health rather than just keep staring into the ever-approaching abyss the whole run.

4 hours ago, James Hickok said:

The moose will never create new markings.

And this is basically my question. I know that that's the mechanic they were introduced with, but with the wiki stating the moose may "randomly generate markings" when passing by a suitable tree I'd just like to know if I'm being trolled there or not.

• Upvote 1