Does Hinterland Still not allow mods on steam?

RegentRelic

Allowing mods and supporting them are two entirely different things.

If they actually supported them there would need to be a working infrastructure to actually load them and, at least rudimentary, documentation on how to create them, what APIs to interface with, etc. While the loading part exists, it is facilitated by third-party software (Melonloader) Hinterland has neither any part in making nor do they officially support it. The fact that the mod loader and many mods constantly keep breaking with every other new game version is evidence that they are far from having an invested interest in modding whatsoever. Also I haven't seen any documentation on how to mod the game that wasn't community driven and result of reverse engineering.

All that has changed is the fact that we are now "allowed" to talk about mods.

5 hours ago, Stuffed Plush Chainsaw said:

many mods constantly keep breaking with every other new game version

While I agree with most of what you've said, this statement is not true.

There were about 2 mod breaking updates in the last two years and the latest of course because of the whole DLC release and code cleanup and restructuring.

While (of course :D) Hinterland didn't get into contact with the current modding community, like they have said they would over a year ago, there are hints that HL is actively working on making the game more mod friendly. While it could be better, most modders are actually quite content with the current situation.

Lack of updates on current mods after the DLC drop is mostly because of personal reasons on the modders part. Family, daily life and such

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Digitalzombie said:

There were about 2 mod breaking updates in the last two years and the latest of course because of the whole DLC release and code cleanup and restructuring.

Then I stand corrected. It's been a while since I've tinkered with mods actively. I pretty much gave up on it with the switch to IL2CPP.

5 minutes ago, Digitalzombie said:

Family, daily life and such

Yeah, those pesky things keeping people from the truly important things in life. I can relate. 😅

All in all I guess the situation is mostly this: there has been a change in stance towards modding, but it's really not high up on the list of things to get done. This would explain some amount of work being done, as you alluded to, while at the same time not really happening a lot "visible" to the folks not working on mods.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2023 at 5:17 PM, RegentRelic said:

You would think that after making a modding section on their forums they would allow more mods onto the steam workshop, but there are still only language mods. Does anybody no if that's just because no one has made any mods for the workshop or hinterland hasn't allowed them?

We don't provide official support for mods, and we generally suggest that folks direct their comments to our Official Forum (here). We would certainly like to revisit mods in the future, but we don't have any additional information to share at this time. 

Thank you for reaching out! 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/21/2023 at 3:23 PM, hozz1235 said:

The modders have done an outstanding job of not only updating mods and releasing new ones but also providing some great documentation on how to use mods.

Now, it would be nice to see some documentation on how to MAKE mods.  I've seen plenty on how to install mods, and many videos showcasing mods, but I've seen, next to nothing, on how to make mods.  I've dabbled with making mods for many games, but doing so for TLD has just been slow going.  Haven't even started, yet, due to a nearly complete lack of information on the subject.

16 hours ago, NachoNinjaGnome said:

Now, it would be nice to see some documentation on how to MAKE mods.  I've seen plenty on how to install mods, and many videos showcasing mods, but I've seen, next to nothing, on how to make mods.  I've dabbled with making mods for many games, but doing so for TLD has just been slow going.  Haven't even started, yet, due to a nearly complete lack of information on the subject.

You need to join the TLD modding discord server. 

• 2 weeks later...