The Bunkers.....

past caring

Just a thought, seeing as these are coming back in the next update......

I'd like to see a prepper stash/bunker in every single region - or at least, the possibility of a bunker in every region. And the reason is this. Knowing that there aren't any bunkers in ML, PV or Blackrock has resulted in a real disincentive to explore following TFTFT. So extrapolating from that, a bunker in every region would have the opposite effect, so long as like previously, the actual location was randomised, you'd want to search everywhere. And that, at least for me, would really help with long-term and repeat play - no more having to skip large areas of maps because you already know there isn't going to be anything there that you really need.

And that need not have an affect that spoils gameplay on harder difficulties - the bunkers would be there, they just wouldn't have an awful lot in them (but could have one of the rare and important items that does occur anyway on that particular level of difficulty).

Another thing - on my runs post TFTFT, I get the impression that Hinterland have already done a bit of tweaking to item availability as the game progresses? So that a region like MT, where you would normally expect to find lots of really useful loot (particularly on easier settings and where it's your starting region) doesn't seem to hold that much good gear, even on those easier difficulties, if it's the third or fourth region you visit. Now if I'm right about that and Hinterland have introduced a "there's less good stuff in a new region if you've already got good stuff" mechanic, then a bunker in every region wouldn't have to unbalance things on any difficulty.

Just a thought.....

Edited by past caring
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2023 at 2:50 PM, past caring said:

Just a thought, seeing as these are coming back in the next update......

I'd like to see a prepper stash/bunker in every single region - or at least, the possibility of a bunker in every region. And the reason is this. Knowing that there aren't any bunkers in ML, PV or Blackrock has resulted in a real disincentive to explore following TFTFT. So extrapolating from that, a bunker in every region would have the opposite effect, so long as like previously, the actual location was randomised, you'd want to search everywhere. And that, at least for me, would really help with long-term and repeat play - no more having to skip large areas of maps because you already know there isn't going to be anything there that you really need.

And that need not have an affect that spoils gameplay on harder difficulties - the bunkers would be there, they just wouldn't have an awful lot in them (but could have one of the rare and important items that does occur anyway on that particular level of difficulty).

Very much in favor of this. In fact: why not have "new" bunkers pop up from under the snow every so often?

Could be a really-long-game mechanic where you, after let's say 150 or so days (basically after you've had the chance to explore most of the world), every 40 to 60 days (randomized), you get a storm much like the whiteout challenge, with like 2 or 3 days warning in advance (Audio cue like: "I can feel there's a real storm brewing.") That would cover up previously discovered bunkers, but would also reveal one or two new bunkers somewhere in the world. Would give late-late-game a real incentive to go out there and do stuff instead of passing time for 10 years.

Edit: To make this really fun .... let's have like -20°C or worse inside buildings when that calamity is raging. 😄 Much like 4DON Day 4.

On 2/13/2023 at 2:50 PM, past caring said:

Another thing - on my runs post TFTFT, I get the impression that Hinterland have already done a bit of tweaking to item availability as the game progresses? So that a region like MT, where you would normally expect to find lots of really useful loot (particularly on easier settings and where it's your starting region) doesn't seem to hold that much good gear, even on those easier difficulties, if it's the third or fourth region you visit. Now if I'm right about that and Hinterland have introduced a "there's less good stuff in a new region if you've already got good stuff" mechanic, then a bunker in every region wouldn't have to unbalance things on any difficulty.

Haven't noticed that at all. I don't think that's what's going on.

Edited by Stuffed Plush Chainsaw
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Stuffed Plush Chainsaw said:

Very much in favor of this. In fact: why not have "new" bunkers pop up from under the snow every so often?

Could be a really-long-game mechanic where you, after let's say 150 or so days (basically after you've had the chance to explore most of the world), every 40 to 60 days (randomized), you get a storm much like the whiteout challenge, with like 2 or 3 days warning in advance (Audio cue like: "I can feel there's a real storm brewing.") That would cover up previously discovered bunkers, but would also reveal one or two new bunkers somewhere in the world. Would give late-late-game a real incentive to go out there and do stuff instead of passing time for 10 years.

Edit: To make this really fun .... let's have like -20°C or worse inside buildings when that calamity is raging. 😄 Much like 4DON Day 4.

Yeah, that would be brilliant.