Jackrabbit Island

So I setup shop on this island many IRL days ago. Not being very good with a bow, decided I would become good by using my furry friends for targets. I didn't bring a bow with me and only had one or two arrows, so I got to trekking around gather birch and maple saplings, curing them, and then crafting bows and arrows. When I finally have a stock of all of them, ALL the rabbits disappeared from Jackrabbit Island! For many days now, I have see no rabbits! Before I had a bow and arrow, I saw them literally every time I was on the island in two or more spots! What gives? Does the AI know you want to increase your skill levels and thus makes you move to a more inconvenient spot and risk bear and wolf attacks? Only half joking, but this is irritating as the only thing keeping me in CH is the desire to get my bow skills up to snuff in a convenient locale with low risk of attacks. I'm going to give them another in game day or two and if they don't spawn, I'm packing up the spoils and heading somewhere new. TM was fine for rabbits, two places near the cabin, but always a wolf and sometimes a bear about to keep me honest. I just made 6 new arrows...if this time tomorrow I don't see a bunny, I am moving on.

6 hours ago, TonyInPleasantValley said:

I could throw rocks, but I am looking to get specific skills upgraded,  Level 5 on any skill bring significant advantages to you!

It's good target practice for wolves and will get harvesting level up..  plus it's a cheap dinner.🙂

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, TonyInPleasantValley said:

Thanks for the tip...and I will continue to shoot rabbits with my bow

Until I have enough materials to make enough arrows to get lvl 5 Archery, I try to rely on the rifle (because I miss more and break arrows).  I will read Archery skill books also as I find them.  Once Archery is 5, I rely on the bow to hunt (except moose, in which I use the rifle solely).  That way, I spread out my ammunition (arrows and rounds) usage.  Although, on my 2100+ day run, I still had plenty of both.

Early game, I don't hunt much since there is an abundance of pre-placed corpses and "grocery food".  I will use the revolver to hunt rabbits to get Revolver skill up (and books). 

Edited by hozz1235

4 hours ago, TonyInPleasantValley said:

I am close to level 4 on archery. Every time I shoot a wolf with the bow it runs off with my arrow and I never find the body, so that is why I stuck with rabbits. Also you get one point for each kill so rabbit kill counts the same as a bear/wolf/moose, therefore I stick with the easier, less lethal target.

Headshot: Wait until the wolf is about 60 feet then aim at the ground about 10 feet intersecting his trajectory, do not follow the wolf but his trajectory toward you , he will go straight on the last 15 feet so you have to shoot when his head cross your sight.

22 hours ago, JMK said:

Headshot: Wait until the wolf is about 60 feet then aim at the ground about 10 feet intersecting his trajectory, do not follow the wolf but his trajectory toward you , he will go straight on the last 15 feet so you have to shoot when his head cross your sight.

This is what I do.  It works very consistently unless I'm forced to tangle with the wolf on uneven ground.  I always try to get them on ice, or at least a flat patch of snow or road.