Too many wolves

kirkmc

I’m in Wintermute, episode 3, and, after taking Gwen back to the community center,  I started going to bring back the other survivors. I hey attacked by wolves, fight them off, and  almost immediately get attacked again, over and over. I’ve used all my ammo and flares, and have nothing left. I don’t see how I can continue. 

8 hours ago, kirkmc said:

I’m finding that when they attack, I need to put down the person I’m carrying, and I often can’t do that. And I can’t carry a torch and a survivor. 

I know it's awkward.. I got caught repeatedly bringing the survivor back from the crash site..during a blizzard.    As soon as I heard the howling I had to find a place to start a fire .   I did have to work out the route beforehand just in case and it payed off..  you have to put them down to check their health/thirst needs anyway so if you can try to  find as many sheltered spots as possible...  

• Upvote 1

I don't think the game differentiates what a character is using when aiming.  Aiming is aiming.  Stone, revolver, rifle, or bow, it does not matter.   The intent probably was to forestall the wolf standing still while the character aims a bow, revolver or rifle at them.  

OTOH, the act of aiming can provoke the wolf to actually attack.  I seem to recall that occurring to me when in the Winter's Embrace event which was in Voyager mode.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

I don't think the game differentiates what a character is using when aiming.  Aiming is aiming.  Stone, revolver, rifle, or bow, it does not matter.   The intent probably was to forestall the wolf standing still while the character aims a bow, revolver or rifle at them.  

OTOH, the act of aiming can provoke the wolf to actually attack.  I seem to recall that occurring to me when in the Winter's Embrace event which was in Voyager mode.  

I know it can make them attack when aiming but I wasn't aware that applied to stones as well. I've never seen it happen.

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

I do recall that throwing a stone at a wolf that is busy doing something else like feeding is completely ignored.  It probably does not fall in to the parameters of the wolf AI that something is hitting me (unless using a lethal weapon) when its busy with more important things like gobbling up the animal meat.  Since I play Pilgrim trying to check whether "aiming" a stone has the same effect as aiming a bow or firearm, can be problematic.  I may give it a try just to see.  I dislike giving out incorrect information.  

11 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

I do recall that throwing a stone at a wolf that is busy doing something else like feeding is completely ignored.  It probably does not fall in to the parameters of the wolf AI that something is hitting me (unless using a lethal weapon) when its busy with more important things like gobbling up the animal meat.  Since I play Pilgrim trying to check whether "aiming" a stone has the same effect as aiming a bow or firearm, can be problematic.  I may give it a try just to see.  I dislike giving out incorrect information.  

I'm not saying it's incorrect..I too play pilgrim but I do watch a lot of loper videos..   I'm not sure t-wolves are the same as regular ones in that regard either.

I just thought the OP might find them better as a last resort than nothing.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

I don't think the game differentiates what a character is using when aiming.  Aiming is aiming.  Stone, revolver, rifle, or bow, it does not matter.

In my experience that's very correct. 

On 1/4/2023 at 5:43 PM, ManicManiac said:

we can then pelt the wolf with more rocks to run it off again.  ***just make sure not to aim in... but rather just "throw from the hip."  Hopefully you get my meaning, because if you "aim in" it will almost always trigger a charge if they are already stalking.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
For me a pocket full of rocks is usually my first line of defense. :D 
But I can definitely say from my experiences that if something is stalking you and you aim-in... it doesn't matter if it's a bow, flare gun, rifle, revolver, or a simple stone... the act of aiming (again, while they are stalking you) will trigger them to charge.

Edited by ManicManiac
removed less relevant information about original topic
  • Upvote 1

@Leeanda

They do, but not by a lot.  I have yet to fend off Timberwolves with rocks...  I imagine if I had a safe spot to pitch from, and I had enough rocks... I suppose that would work.  In general though, I tend towards either not being detected in the first place or taking them down one at a time (again before they spot me) and when they the pack is down to just one... they just continue fleeing every time they see me (until one or two more get close enough to "form another pack").

My last post was really more geared towards "standard" wolves and how they get triggered into a charge... Timberwolves on the other hand are a bit different.  I've found that most of the time, when facing down a pack of Timberwolves with a weapon, aiming-in may discourage an attack sometimes (sometimes not) and they might run off a little way in order to see about a new attack angle (or sometimes to play decoy while another hits you from behind).  

Edited by ManicManiac
Found typos in the last post I just had to correct.
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda

They do, but not by a lot.  I have yet to fend off Timberwolves with rocks...  I imagine if I had a safe spot to pitch from, and I had enough rocks... I suppose that would work.  In general though, I tend towards either not being detected in the first place or taking them down one at a time (again before they spot me) and when they the pack is down to just one... they just continue fleeing every time they see me (until one or two more get close enough to "form another pack").

My last post was really more geared towards "standard" wolves and how they get triggered into a charge... Timberwolves on the other hand are a bit different.  I've found that most of the time, when facing down a pack of Timberwolves with a weapon, aiming-in may discourage an attack sometimes (sometimes not) and they might run off a little way in order to see about a new attack angle (or sometimes to play decoy while another hits you from behind).  

Thank you.🙂.       Might be a little experiment for me ....if I live long enough😁

Not sure if stones will be much use to the op given the way story mode plays out though....  My run was pure blizzard before I had to start carrying bodies around.

• Upvote 1

@Leeanda

That's what I assume...

Those Timber Wolf encounters are more or less scripted events.  If it's the part I think it is (just as "the Big One" hits... he could try to just make a run for it.  There is a chance to take cover along the way (there are a few spots that could be used).  I've never tried running the Blizzard through the Timber Wolves with no weapon.  Generally the story mode seemed like it made sure I was rife with ammo. 🤭

Edited by ManicManiac

1 minute ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda

That's what I assume...

Those Timber Wolf encounters are more or less scripted events.  If it's the part I think it is (just as "the Big One" hits... he could try to just make a run for it.  There is a chance to take cover along the way (there are a few spots that could be used).  I've never tried running the Blizzard through the Timber Wolves with no weapon.  Generally the story mode seemed like it made sure I was rife with ammo. 🤭

Oh I had ammo too...sitting in storage so I wasn't too heavy to carry people😄

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda

Hmm... I thought the bit where we rescue people came just a little before the "The Big One" hits.  I'll have to go back and check... it's been a long while since I played through Ep. 3  (and of course all my saves are gone)

I had a permanent blizzard pretty early on in the run.. it just got worse right before that mission. If I remember correctly only the first mission had decent weather and after that blizzards until the aurora at signal hill...

• Upvote 1

Just now, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda

Oh my... I wonder if the scripted "Big One" is variable... or if it was PV's usually foul weather just happening to overlap with back-to-back blizzards and running right up against "the Big One."  

🤔

Knowing my luck just pv being it's usual lovely self😁

• Upvote 1

On 1/30/2023 at 5:43 PM, kirkmc said:

I’m in Wintermute, episode 3, and, after taking Gwen back to the community center,  I started going to bring back the other survivors. I hey attacked by wolves, fight them off, and  almost immediately get attacked again, over and over. I’ve used all my ammo and flares, and have nothing left. I don’t see how I can continue. 

So the upside is you can go back to earlier saves if you did save along the way.  

If not…. The wolves WILL attack you at set points on your journey back, they CANNOT be avoided.  
Tips:

1. there is an option to “drop” the survivor immediately without trying to “place” them.  Use that option. 
If you need a break to think, do it on the side of a rock face where they cannot attack you.  
Depending on where you are, you can also drop into an area of the map from the rock face that will require the wolves to go around to get you: this buys you time. 

2. As @Leeanda said: plan your route.  AS SOON AS YOU HEAR THE WOLVES begin starting a fire. The fire start interface will hold them off. Once the fire is started you can use it for cover, bait the wolves in and use whatever weapon at your disposal to reduce their morale. This can be rocks, torches from the fire, etc. 

3. Watch YouTube play throughs, you’ll likely see some good stuff.

It took a few tries for me to figure out, but it works well with a little practice.  

I just tried the stones only method in bleak...  I had well over 50 stones and because they scarper if you aim ,you have to throw without doing it.  

I did get rid of them but only because I must've got lucky hitting them.. this was on pilgrim with high morale and medium fear so it may take a lot longer on harder levels.    I'm so glad I usually play on passive,those twolves are so damn annoying!😁

Torches and a fire are definitely the better method😊

• Upvote 2

Just now, ManicManiac said:

That's good science.  

Thank you☺️. Some would say I have suicidal tendencies trying that....and they're probably right😁.  

I should imagine on stalker/interloper you'd need a lot more than 60-70 stones for just one pack... In the cannery itself would probably be impossible.

• Upvote 3