Disposing of Bodies

SuperNapTime

I would like to be able to at least move or get rid of dead bodies. Perhaps adding a shovel for some kind for a respectable burial. I've been living in the Camp house for almost a full year at this point, and my best friend Steve is still just sitting there day in and day out. I feel like I owe it to him to give him a proper send off.

• Upvote 9

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2023 at 2:27 AM, SuperNapTime said:

Additional clean up options might be nice as well. There is so much junk every where. Let me tidy up just a bit. It's good for my sanity in the lonely tundra.

There's a mod (that probably doesn't work right now) that does exactly that. You can break down essentially everything. It's called remove clutter. I used it and liked it very much. All the paper on the ground, but also all the stuff in shelves can be removed.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a tipped-over stool in Island Cottage that I'd like to put back upright again. Heck, I wish I could sit on the stool while I sharpen my tools and fix my clothing.

Going back to the original topic, I agree -- it would be nice to be able to break down corpses, or at least drag them around to another location.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a discussion that comes up more often that I would have thought. :D 

On 5/29/2020 at 5:30 PM, ManicManiac said:

I've weighed in on this in one of the previous Milton Mail Bags so I will just echo what I mentioned before:
*Regarding removing/burring corpses *

On 4/26/2019 at 9:08 PM, ManicManiac said:

I can see why people would want to do this as well... personally however, I tend to think them as extra storage containers.  I know that seems a bit macabre, but since we can't move other small containers to where we might like to have the extra "storage" (I mean beyond just dropping things on the ground indoors or outside)... they do come in handy as containers.  :)  

:coffee::fire::coffee:

...and of course, they are a good sustainable source of feathers.  Another thing I think they achieve, is adding to the somber and lonely atmosphere. 

To be clear; I'm not against the idea.  I'm saying that to me having them around is more beneficial than not having them around.  But again, I do understand why some folks would like the option of disposing of them.

It was much the same with Campfires (back in the day)... it used to be if we set down a campfire, that it became a permanent fixture on the landscape.  For me this just resulted in me choosing to never make campfires (unless it was in a spot where I'd want a permanent campfire).  It was a wish list item of mine, and even one that I got to briefly talk with Raph about it... many updates later breaking down campfire became a thing.

Suffice to say, I understand where folks are coming from when they say they want to be able to dispose of human remains they find in game and again, I'm not against the idea... I tend to think that more options is better than fewer.  I'm simply offering my thoughts on why I don't mind them being a persistent presence in the game.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

they are a good sustainable source of feathers.  Another thing I think they achieve, is adding to the somber and lonely atmosphere. 

I sometimes use them for navigation, too by listening for crows or looking for the crows in the sky.

• Upvote 3

I don't really care if they disappear, I just want to be able to move bodies out of my indoor living space. Carry it outside (the assets for that already exist in the game files) & dump it where you like, where it remains permanent after that.

I agree with the OP's sentiment. Even though the bodies are a permanent fixture of ambiance and gameplay ( feathers, loot, navigation by crow ), I find myself invested in my survivors as if they were me, and honestly the thought of not being able to properly give all the fallen a respectable burial would fill me with angst. This feeling has been even more prevalent after the bleak inlet update, where a lot of the models for the fallen people were updated and had their faces exposed, if HL was going for amping up the feeling of loneliness and gloom, they nailed it. 

Perhaps as you accept your frozen fate, you resign yourself to lay the fallen onto their eternal resting places, keeping your humanity alive by becoming a guardian of traditions of yore. Keep watch as the dead sleep. 

I understand there's at least ten good reasons to avoid implementing this as a feature though. Still a very cool idea.

Edited by Dan_
Grammar