Why did I go back to Blackrock?

So I am in over a 100 days in latest survival run; last one ended in Blackrock due to me being impatient and frankly dumb. So yesterday, I make the decision to go loot BR. Why not? So I run into Timberwolves pretty much right away, but am prepped with Marine Flares and get away unscathed. Head to the prison to loot it. Getting late, so decide to chill but loot a little. I head on top of the infirmary and the aurora is making it a beautiful night. Then I see it...a WHITE WOLF! I guess this is a thing, but it is the first time I have seen one. And, he/she is with about 4 other wolves. I pull out my rifle and one shot kill one of them. Great! I will eat that tomorrow! So head to a safe place and bed down for the night. Up early, I head to the side of the prison to get loot. I am greeted by four handsome wolves. End up killing three, and head around to the back side office that you need to climb up to...only to be surprised by yet another freekin wolf! End up ending his day via a hunting knife, climb, loot, and come back to the rope to climb down. ONLY TO SEE A BEAR! WHAT THE #$&)#*%?? I don't think I have ever seen a bear spawn there! Well, I am attack proof so I pop a few rifle rounds in him and he runs and disappears. Great. How do I get down and back to safety? So eventually he shows back up and I riddle him with bullets, climb down, and get back to safety. Or what TLD calls safety, anyway. On the way, that last wolf shows up and I rifle him away. I keep asking myself why I left my comfy perch on the lake at TW mountain, and really wish I could teleport there. Thinking about hitting the mine and finishing this loot run, but...thinking that is a bad idea. Hope I can talk some sense into myself or this might not end well for me! Cheers!   

I ended up going back to TM because I got lost and ended up taking the wrong trail, running into yet another bear and more timberwolves, and decided I had enough of Blackrock for a while. Need to go back, cuz I left lotsa goodies in a locker, but that will have to wait.

The white wolf showed up again in the prison yard, ran to a corner, and well...he was my breakfast next day.

screen_(-127, 228, 52)_0ea7c80c-7fe5-49f7-8496-660da4ed608d.png

• Upvote 2

TonyInPleasantValley, all told you did well coming through those wolf and bear fights alive. Your experiences make a Bleak Inlet cannery run sound like a walk in the park.  

BR is the last region I need to loot/explore on my Perilous Constraint (Time Capsule) Voyageur run.  Apart from some short forays in BR  via Keepers Pass and the TWM cave system, I have not plunged into this zone. 

I wonder if it is worth the bother when I have resources for thousands of days on hand at PV Farmhouse and TWM Mountaineers Hut.  The only real attraction would be the recipe for the noise maker.

Edited by Blizzard Walker
grammar

40 minutes ago, Blizzard Walker said:

I wonder if it is worth the bother when I have resources for thousands of days on hand at PV Farmhouse and TWM Mountaineers Hut.  The only real attraction would be the recipe for the noise maker.

I'd go for it!  You should have a good supply of marine flares.  I like finding a fallen tree to safely snipe the TWs from.  Then fully explore their "turf" so when they do respawn, you can quickly skirt around them or run through.

37 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I'd go for it!  You should have a good supply of marine flares.  I like finding a fallen tree to safely snipe the TWs from.  Then fully explore their "turf" so when they do respawn, you can quickly skirt around them or run through.

Thank you hozz1235 for that suggestion.  Sniping TW's worked well for me in BI on the way to the radio tower.

A question about marine flares.  I have 8 handy if I head into BR from TWM.  However, I have an inventory of 95 regular red flares.  Are the red flares any less effective in fending off TW's?  Do marine flares have a special functionality as a means of walking through groups of TW's? 

My inclination is to make a fire and stand behind it while shooting arrows at TW's.  That practice scarcely ever was an option in BI due to the ceaseless wind.  I am wondering if BR is less windy.

Lots of questions here, any suggestions would be appreciate.

@Blizzard Walker from the wiki: "Flares are effective at deterring wolves, timberwolves, deer and rabbits; wolves and timberwolves will not approach within 15M of a lit flare (held, or on the ground), and wolves may be frightened by lit flares when thrown (but not timberwolves)."

I would only pop the flare in emergency situations.  Try to use the landscape and features to your benefit.  Crouch in areas known to have TWs so you can plan your strategy.

https://thelongdark.fandom.com/wiki/Marine_Flare

Timberwolves will lose morale if a marine flare is tossed at them, but will not with a normal flare. You want to drive their morale to 0 so they will leave you alone. So don't waste time with regular flares. Also if you wound them, they will stop attacking and lose morale. So toss marine, pistol shots, and try to be somewhere that they cannot surround you and nip you to death. Really not a fan of this feature of the game (timber wolves), but I certainly understand why it is there!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2023 at 11:44 AM, hozz1235 said:

hozz1235, I have been thoroughly exploring Blackrock on a saved pre-update Pilgrim run.  That region is thick with TW's. Bleak Inlet in comparison is like a walk in the park.

When I set foot in this region with my Voyageur character I will limit my goals to retrieving the noise makers in the mine by following the riverbed from Cook's Farm to the two ropes - unlocking the noise maker recipe.  The western end of the region from Creek Bed Cave to the Power Plant seems less troubled by TWs except for the area of the Old Substation and Great Meadow.  I am debating if I really care about the Ballistic Vest. 

Well I went back a week or so ago and made the mine run to get the code to the workshop and the noise maker blueprint. Survived, I dunno, 5 or 6 timberwolf attacks, a bear, and saw a moose chillin' so I just let him be. Ended up bringing most of my loot back and got my gunsmithing to 5, so gots lots and lots of ammo now. Really can't wait for the next update later this month as I am have gotten to level 5 in all skills except ice fishing and mending. Which is strange because I used to get those two to 5 sooner than most other skills. I have never been level 5 in archery before, mainly cuz I sucked at the skill so did not put in the time and I don't play in the higher two levels yet, but I see that coming to an end as I am getting a little bored finally at the current level. I killed so many rabbits this run...feels bad actually. Do you ever feel bad killing an animal in this game? It is weird cuz I know it is a game, but sometimes it doesn't feel right. OK enough rambling...

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I hate killing bunnies ,that little squeak when you wring their neck .... Stopped me doing it a long time ago.  

Same here, i usually use snares or a clean bow shot to kill the rabbit, it's more human and fair 😅

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Glacia said:

Same here, i usually use snares or a clean bow shot to kill the rabbit, it's more human and fair 😅

To be fair I don't really need many .after looting the containers in twm I have enough pelts for both gloves and hat so only need the occasional one for repairs..  I can't remember the last time I killed a deer .  The only joy I get is from killing the bear and moose.. 

• Upvote 1

Prepping for BR is indeed wise. I almost always get "greeted" coming out of the cave by timberwolves, which are easy to handle because they cannot get to you, but then again I get that same greeting on exit most of the time. Found it better to approach via the climb and keep along the rocks than come from the other directions on exit. They still spawn most of the time but too late to do much damage to me. I only go there when I have lots of marine flares, noise makers, and bullets/arrows. Also having the right clothes helps a lot. The ammo bench is something I *have* to visit periodically, so I got to get this region down to a science!

4 hours ago, Lohaan said:

I went there on my Stalker run on about day 100 and, ever nonchalantly waltzing in there with the idea of crafting some bullets in mind. Licked my wounds and got out of there by day 2.  Gonna plan a lot better before I go back there. 

Blackrock is by far the worst region in the game, for several reasons.

I like the idea of a "big risk, big reward" region, but blackrock feels incredible unrealistic because of the massive timberwolf population and packs scattered around the map. Unlike Bleak Inlet, in blackrock  most of the time you can't avoid the packs and ending ambushed is very common. 

Even the timberwolf migrations are rare, very few places on the map are actually safe.

Everything about blackrock could be interesting if the region were rewarding, but isn't the case. The ammunition craft it's decent , but the overall loot is sparse and noisemakers/ballistic vest are almost useless items. 

Also, the incredible Isolation of the region makes the "ammunition trips" unviable, of course you can carry 200 bullets with you around the entire world map but, ¿It's worth the risk?

Bleak Inlet have a better map location, near most important regions and notably, very close to the upcoming new DLC regions. Also TW packs are easier to handle or avoid here! 

• Upvote 1

The only reason I went back was for more ammo, and I got enough to last a long time especially now that I hit level 5 on the bow. I chose it over the other location because my main camp is TWM so all I have to do to get there is get past a bear, climb a rope, get past a wolf or two, get through a cave and I am there, greeted by timberwolves of course...You make a good point about BI and the new DLC...will likely head that way once the update hits. Thanks for the idea, saving up supplies for another ammo run (if I make it that long, lol)...