I cannot take anymore...

lmartino84

I can't take this anymore...

is too hard for me, seeing my friends diyng in the snow.

I don't know who had the perverse idea of giving name to survival games, but after years, this is becoming too heavy for me, i need a break.

There is always a loss of concentration, a stupid thing or a stupid error...this game does not forgive anything! (i play stalker)

This post is a memorial for some of my friends, lost in the cold....

-Olaf Winterkiller: A clever man. Born in Milton, established fine in the banker's house. Moved after a couple of week to Mistery Lake to find an hunting rifle. Found a rifle in the carter's hydro dam after another week, then established in the camp office with plenty of fishes and wood.
Died by a wolf, bringing back fishes from the lake: i didn't notice he had food poisoning, so he had very low life when wolf attacked, and i didn't saw the wolf coming cause i was on the phone....

- Elsa Icequeen: Unlucky woman. Born in coastal higway, she established a couple of decent bases. After a week or so, She get lost during a blizzard, and she found shelter in a train tunnel. She then found herself in the Ravine, unprepared, but she decided to have a fast travel there to easily go to Mistery Lake, as her bases where full of hostile wildlife roaming around, and she only had a revolver with few rounds.
That was an evaluation error.
A blizzard forced her to find shelter from the wind, stop and light a fire. 
I literally lit a fire under her feet.....
So she was seriously injured by the fire, and she was forced to craft bandage from the clothes she wore.
After burned all the wood and unread books she has, she didn't passed the night as the blizzard did not stopped for hours and she was too weak and poor dressed to resist to the cold.

- Ernst Wolfeater: A nomad. He didn't mind setting bases. He traveled along all blackrock, ignoring cold, sleeping in caves, drinking hip roses or reishi mushrooms tea to stay warm, not having any useful clothes. He refused to establish, enjoiyng the trip, survived a couple of blizzards. 
Ironically he didn't killed a single wolf, and he died by a group of timberwolves after a week or so.

- Lucy Snowball: Really tough girl, she had some epic moments.
Born in Hushed river valley, after 3 days she was outside through a blizzard, with no matches, no water, poor food. Freezing in summer clothes, life dropped to 5%, no chance to save until she saw a far cave while the blizzard was calming down, but she was already closing her eyes....then i remembered she was born with an emergency stim! So with the last breath she shoot herself with the stim, and ran to the cave, while a wolf noticed here and began to follow. She managed to reach the cave, that linked to Milton, and there it was warm enough to sleep with rollbed, so immediately fell asleep. At the awakening, she ate the last couple of cat tail stalks (the only food of the last 2 days), and moved to Milton, reaching Paradise Meadows Farm after a stop to the caravan and to the church to recover some energy.
She established there, explored all the region, no hunting rifle found but she didn't care.
The farm was full of food, materials, wood and wolf meat. 2 Traps provided 2 rabbits each day, and every night before sleep she used to read some books until light goes down.
She used to go for expeditions 2/3 days long, not being afraid to sleep outside. She also survived a Moose attack in Milton's pit, shooting an entire 6-rounds to the moose, luckly stucked in some wood during the charge.
After 3/4 weeks, fully prepared, she decided to go to Forlon Musked and craft some arrowheads to hunt some deers.
After 1 days of travel, she saw a shortcut to avoid a long curve, but she fell down a cliff and she found herself blocked in the thin ice. She tried all directions, she fell in the water 5 times without dying. She lighted a fire, she warmed herself, she tryed againg some sprint...fell down again. No way to go out from there. As the sun was setting, with no woods left, she took a deep breath, then jumped into the water. She died in the cold water

-Ralf Snowalker: He is the reason i will stop play for a while. He was the Man. Born in timberwolf mountain, survived some days outside with summer clothes struggling to wolves and then established a decent base in Mountaineers Hut, but after a week he moved to blackrock, following his adventurous spirit, not before having plenty of warm clothes and food he found on a crash site. 
He found the Prison after a couple of days, and after cleared it from wolves and closed all doors he was very safe there, but lack of renewable source of food and no hunting rifle brought him to move and explore the entire region, establishing another base in the Old Substation before moving after some days to pleasant valley. He mastered the art of fire and revolver, as he conquered the valley headshooting wolves, setting bases in the Farmsted and in the Community Hall, with wolf and rabbit skins driyng in the barn, and rabbit traps scattered around.
After explored all the valley, he was preparing to go to the crashsite and maybe go back to his bornplace to a fast visit to the Hut and retrieve some good material left there.
Plenty of food, woods, tools, material, no hunting rifle but with arrows and waiting for woods to dry to make some bows, he was living the life.
I think he ate a rabbit before cooking ending or something, however, he was ill by intestinal parasite.
So i think to not eat wolf for a wile. He gone for a fishing trip, fully prepared. After 2 days, he had something like 30 KG of fish and 15/20 tinder of wood next to him.
The third night, in the fishing hut, he ate a good fish, setting fire for a couple of hour, drinked a tea. Then he goes to sleep for 12 hours. 
I forgot to add wood in the stove. 
He died frozen, with a mountain of wood to his left, and a stove to his right, after 30+ days.....
Realized the exact same moment i clicked "sleep"...but nothing to do.

I will take a break. Thanks for all the beautiful moments, for all the emotions, but now i cannot think starting again, making a new friend, train him to survive, and then seeing him die by my fault, because i did something stupid.

I just wanted tho share this with the community, maybe to find some confort. Sorry for my bad english.

See ya in a while, i'll be back. Maybe.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

Dying in TLD is, in my opinion, a better experience than living. You get the chance to start anew, to do better, to avoid making those mistakes you made. That doesn’t stop me from repeating them, though :D.

Worst case scenario, if you’re playing on PC, you can use a mod to back up your save games. Death will then become little more than a minor annoyance.

But it’s always ok to take a break, if you feel you need to. I certainly have, and have come to enjoy the game more as a result.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

Dying in TLD is, in my opinion, a better experience than living.

Can't say I agree.  I get a lot of satisfaction spending the time and energy getting a character "matured/stable" (good clothes, plenty of food and supplies).  As we're all aware, this makes the game easier to some extent.  I'm not playing this game for the constant suspense - that's stressful and I think we all have enough stress in our lives without it being in the game I choose to play.

If I were constantly dying, I would probably stop playing.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

Dying in TLD is, in my opinion, a better experience than living.

You know, i always tought that the reason why TLD goes so deep inside me, is the permadeath. Dying makes life better, i agree with that. 

For an example of another open world, i crafted a fking entire world in Fallout 4...and one day i simply stop playing. Without death, or ending, i feel incomplete, my story is simply incomplete. I cannot remember what i did as well as I remember what i did in TLD to save my life, to fight the death.

But  i agree with hozz too:

3 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

I get a lot of satisfaction spending the time and energy getting a character "matured/stable" (good clothes, plenty of food and supplies).

I really try hard to find a good shelter, some source of food, containers full of supplies. I get satisfaction thinking "he is almost fine! He is almost enjoying the apocalipse! This place can be home" But there is always some other little thing to do...another deer to kill to pack more meat, some other bullets to find to be sure, some other arrows to craft in case i lost some...and each time, i die before i can feel complete.

But i start thinking it's just me...i will never feel complete, i cannot simply put one to sleep...and never open the savegame again.

I am really torn. 

9 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Please don't give up... It's such a beautiful game.    It really is worth it.   

And those views are so stunning☺️

Totally agree with Leeanda.

But that's a fact, something is changed. Last deaths was really heavy for me, maybe because the last 2 characters started so hard and without any chance, and when they made it to safety, i was so proud, and seeing them die to my stupidest errors ever was unbereable.

• Upvote 1

Have you thought of doing story mode again ,only extending the game by going and doing what you want to do...or 'going rogue'. 

At least you won't die permanently and lose everything...   Just because there's a story it doesn't mean you have to follow it.

17 minutes ago, lmartino84 said:

But i start thinking it's just me...i will never feel complete, i cannot simply put one to sleep...and never open the savegame again.

This is why I think there should be an optional way to “win” in vanilla survival mode. Take one of the more intact rowboats on the shore and row for the distant mainland, walk to the Further Territories and join a band of survivors, or even get a plane working on the Airfield.

On 1/24/2023 at 10:43 PM, Leeanda said:

Have you thought of doing story mode again ,only extending the game by going and doing what you want to do...or 'going rogue'.

Lol this looks fun!

On 1/24/2023 at 11:05 PM, conanjaguar said:

This is why I think there should be an optional way to “win” in vanilla survival mode. Take one of the more intact rowboats on the shore and row for the distant mainland, walk to the Further Territories and join a band of survivors, or even get a plane working on the Airfield.

That would be nice! you can play as long as you want, but when you decide  that's enough, you head to safety....

Edited by lmartino84

8 minutes ago, lmartino84 said:

Lol this looks fun!

That would be nice! you can play as long as you want, but when you decide  that's enough, you head to safety....

It's something I never thought of doing until some others mentioned doing it...   Haven't had a chance to yet either but if you are struggling on survival it'll help you  learn the ropes more while still having a safety net,so to speak.   Could be good fun breaking the rules.😁