Bear Question

11 minutes ago, UTC-10 said:

About a year-old pics of a sleeping bear and a dead bear.  There were differences in posture between sleeping and dead.  Always be careful.  

Pilgrim play so I can get close to a sleeping bear.  The dead one ignored me.  🙂

20210206220224_1.jpg

20210214094745_1.jpg

Awe.. he looks so sweet with his paw over his very large toothy mouth.😁

• Upvote 1

I have killed 10 bears this survival run, and have found 8-9 of them and gotten meat, furs, and guts. Last one I killed I have not found. He spooked me...I was just finishing up making a wolf wish he hadn't crossed me, when I hear this ROAR! I almost shat myself! I was up in the hills of CH looking for bow materials, shot a wolf, and was like okay this is going to be uneventful, when that ROAR happened! I lost my mind for a few, and started running toward a cabin that was likely too far away, but not seeing the bear, I ran and ran and ran until I could not run anymore. What seemed like an eternity and I am standing in front of the cabin. I look around, and see no bear so head in. Then I think, nah, gotta pop at least one round into him, right? So I stand outside for minutes, and eventually, he rounds the rock outcropping below the cabin. I use Barb's rifle, which I REALLY like, for the sight...and pop a shot in his head. I don't look back, head into the cabin. After a few IRL minutes, I say,  let's take a peak. Nothing. No blood trail, no bear. Hmmm...lost this one. Really wanted that meat and the other great items from this bear, but he had the better of me this time. At least I didn't go into TLD due to him.

• Upvote 1

Just killed another bear at the Quonset hut! He was, like the last bear, moseying around the hut, I took Barb's rifle which I am REALLY liking, and put a single shot to his skull. Dead, WOW! This is great except I have so much bear meat I cannot fathom eating it all!! Four wolves attacked me earlier here and I ended most of them, so lots of meat going to waste! I like this area more than I thought I would...

Spent some time in AC the last couple of IRL days. Had to do the gold mine run! Loving the extra 5 kilos and lighter crampons! Afterwards, was running low on food so against my better judgement, I went over to Miner's Folly to grab grub. Scary start as when I entered the bear cave, there were fresh tracks! When the tracks eventually went left, I veered right, and got up to the Foreman's Retreat unscathed. Whew! Found a little food, but beginning to worry I would not have enough to get back to my home on the lake, so decided I needed to end that bear. Popped out of the Miner's Folly house and he is standing to the right and behind the house. Easy shot, but think I missed! End up dancing with him a couple of times but eventually get a side shot and bear is for dinner, and breakfast, and lunch, and snack, and every meal. Cooked him up, made a bunch of water, and headed back to home base. This was a great run! I got so many maple and birch saplings on top of the new technical backpack and crampons that I have a LOT to do now. Archery level 5 is almost a done deal now! I also likely will go back to AC at some point as I left some loot and I got some memento stuff I need to check out. But for now, gonna chill in Crystal and think about a third trek up to the Summit. I can finally get the rest of that loot! Maybe?

• Upvote 1