Bear Question

If you are cooking/boiling water and one passes while you're speeding up the process then they can just walk past and leave you alone.  If you slow down time again and the bears near enough it will attack.   

There's been some discussion on this on the forum. And the general rule seems that no,it's not going to stop them.   But as I said ,it does work sometimes but don't rely on it..  as far as I know the only thing guaranteed to stop them is a flare gun.  Not sure about noisemakers as I never use them.  

• Upvote 3

It usually work if the bear walks over the fire, I wouldn’t try it unless you have a path strait to you so the bear can’t go around it. This also works in the hunted part 1 as his AI makes it so he is more reckless 🤓 but to directly answer your question, no a fire itself wont deter the bear and u can get mauled over it if your to close. But burns will make him run in fear most of the time.

Edited by Moosemaster
E

Yes it is still the case. Just tried now and the bear stops 100% of the time. He will stay there for a while before eventually running away. The only case I could see a bear ignoring a fire is if it is already too close to you by the time it notices the fire. 

If you have a fire out in the open between you and a bear (whether it is charging or walking, I tried both), it will always stop. This was on Stalker. 

On Interloper he did not stay forever; he stayed for a few seconds and then charged, which is normal Interloper bear behavior. But I've never seen a bear completely ignore a fire all together

That seems unfortunate... 
I always liked it better when bears didn't care about campfires.  Oh well, I suppose it makes sense... most animals fear fire I suppose.
Still though, in the game I think it feels kind of cheap (which is why I opt not to even try that tactic).

I'll make a ticket later and see if we can get a definitive answer from Hinterland about what the intended behavior is.  At least that way we'll know if it's bugged behavior or not.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
If it's intended behavior... then I'll just continue not to use that tactic. 🤭

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

That seems unfortunate... 
I always liked it better when bears didn't care about campfires.  Oh well, I suppose it makes sense... most animals fear fire I suppose.
Still though, in the game I think it feels kind of cheap (which is why I opt not to even try that tactic).

I'll make a ticket later and see if we can get a definitive answer from Hinterland about what the intended behavior is.  At least that way we'll know if it's bugged behavior or not.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
If it's intended behavior... then I'll just continue not to use that tactic. 🤭

Well i mean while nobody’s there now it’s obvious others lived there before. Even with thre aurora animals would still know to fear fire as all animals are fully grown its highly unlikely they haven’t been burned at least once in their lifetime and learned to stay away

I am back on the lake and there are wolves and bear all over the place. Fancying a nice cup of bear stew, I pull out Vaughn's and go sit on the perch over the lake, in a crouch, waiting for old man griz to mosey over, do that funky bear spin move, and present his broadside to me. Right on que he does, I squeeze off a shot, and he takes of the other way...and man is he moving! Saw blood spray, so know I did good. Walk back to the cabin for some water, turn around to see something moving in the distance. He is coming back! Might as well plug him again, so I take up my perch, wait for the spin, and score another hit! This time he runs like crazy, goes up a rock defying all laws of physics and gravity, and disappears over the hill. Getting late, so go do my night routine and hit the sack. Next day, I am waiting for him but doesn't show, so I go looking for a body but cannot find one anywhere in a reasonable range. Do I dare peak into that bear cave? OK I get up the courage to do it, and he is laying there in the cave. Now is he asleep or taking a dirt nap? Too far into this run to chance it, I slink back to the cabin, gather some firewood, clean up a little, and mull over my next move. Late in the day, 2-3 hours before sunset, I walk back over to the cave. Bear is still there. So I do it. I walk up to a bear that may be alive and check to see if I can harvest him. Luckily for me, he is frozen. Bear for dinner for the next week! Anyone else ever walk into a bear cave knowing there is a bear in there?

14 hours ago, TonyInPleasantValley said:

Anyone else ever walk into a bear cave knowing there is a bear in there?

If enough time has passed for him to bleed out, I'm usually pretty confident; otherwise, I may crouch-approach and look and listen for breath.  Could always take a rifle pop-shot from a good, safe distance.

On 1/26/2023 at 6:45 AM, Leeanda said:

Lol. Only on pilgrim.😁.   

You could've checked the stats page to see if it's dead..  that's what I do before traipsing around looking for him.

This. I don't always think about it, but I like to check the stats before I shoot a bear, so that I know if he is dead later on.

1 minute ago, Paddyjack said:

This. I don't always think about it, but I like to check the stats before I shoot a bear, so that I know if he is dead later on.

If it's a longer run it can get a bit confusing trying to remember so I I start checking before and after.. and I always write bear and moose kills down in the daily log. 

• Upvote 1

Moseyed over to CH to pick through the spoils...found another rifle...third so far! Anyhow, popped out of the back of the Quonset hut and sound was not right. Wondering if there was a bear or moose nearby, so popped right back in and headed to the front exit. Opened the door and see a bear walking past the gas pumps down the road. One shot, one dead bear! Food for days! Sometimes this game is easy, but usually not!

• Upvote 1