Does cooking Canned Food reduce chance of getting food poisoning?

desertedone

The short answer is no. 

The longer answer would be that food poisoning is generally a small number (other people's subjective view on that notwithstanding).  So you can get food poisoning but it is not (imo) a big risk.  Of course, if concerned that one may get the brass ring, one might eat sketchy food just before bedtime so if it does happen, it can be treated and then the rest of the treatment (sleep ten hours) won't get too much in the way.  

You can get credit for "cooking" and get hot food as a result but not affect the chance of food poisoning. 

• Upvote 2

In my experience, once you get level 5 cooking, the chance of getting food poisoning drops to 0% on any cooked food (despite the condition).

I'm assuming you DO NOT have level 5 cooking yet.  To answer your question, I don't know if any of us players can conclusively say if cooking canned food reduces the likelihood of food poisoning.  Since there is RNG in the likelihood, without knowing the logic in the code, I don't see how we can draw any conclusion.

I would think it would.  After all, when you cook 0% meat, it becomes 50% meat and cooking kills bacteria...

I suppose, with enough experimentation, you could derive some conclusions based upon your statistics.

Edited by hozz1235

• 4 weeks later...

I would argue for cooking to have any effect on potential food poisoning cooking it would have to turn it into a different item, like raw meat becomes cooked meat. Even if it is counted as cooking for the sake of leveling up your skills, technically "cooking" beans, for instance, isn't really cooking them, but warming them up, and after cooling down the can is the same item as a can which you just opened without heating it up first. But as @hozz1235pointed out only hard empirical data can answer that question conclusively. 

• 1 month later...

Heating canned food does not alter its condition; that is, the percentage shown in the inventory before and after cooking is exactly the same.  Cooking meat, however, does significantly change its condition.  Food poisoning chance is based on the condition of the food, so, I really believe the answer is definitely no... heating food does not lessen the chance of getting food poisoning from it.  OP - I think you just got really lucky.